Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Only good thing about this signing is it looks like he's going to wear #44, so does that mean we're done with Thompson for good?

Also, why did they give the new garbage vet backup, Groselnik or whatever #31? Don't they know about Pelle?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can understand not liking the contract (mainly the term), but I can also completely understand how he landed that much and was not surprised by it. Same reason the Ducks were able to get a 3rd for him as rental. For whatever value one happens to place on that role - Des has established himself as one of the most coveted in the league for the particular role he fills.

In the end I really think you guys will end up respecting the guy too much to really care about his contract unless it was completely absurd. It's 4th line money for a guy you will love having on your 4th line, more so when you watch the games than from advanced stats.

Hmmmm. Let me search the Derek Grant thread. Curiosity and all......

He's not someone who is ever going to wow you in any particular fashion. Big body with an average overall skillset, plays within himself. I think if given a couple games to get his bearings, you'll find him to be a quietly effective part of your bottom six.

If the Flyers do get into a situation where your center depth gets beat up and you need to put someone like Frost in a position to succeed - the Ducks usage of Grant this year shows that he can take on the most abusive of defensive roles and in the very least still tread water.

Checks out.

:laugh:

Absolutely not in school. I went to a military school. Showing fear got you bullied and inevitably beaten shitless. Everyone learned to stand up for themselves and their friends. People who hid behind others were viewed with a degree of scorn.

My school was in the most violent city in the US while I was there and I spent a lot of time wandering those streets. I worked for years in the most dangerous part of DC. I once went into a local store to grab a gatorade and a hobo threatened to beat the shit out of me if I didn't buy him cigarettes. I ignored him, bought my gatorade, and stared him down as I walked right by him. Nothing happened. I don't believe in that coward shit, and I certainly don't want to see my hockey team living in terror of their peers. The idea that the Flyers need Deslauriers or any goon to be brave is despicable to me. I hate the very concept.

I will take away your Ken's Lite and malt vinegar and soy sauce and other assorted beverages and make you cower in fear, Biff.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fletcher is on thin ice, Torts has a four year deal, and they're still paying AV $5M.
Who is going to be the fall guy?
Power doesn't come from titles, ask Catherine the Great.

This isn't a complex imperial court without a constitution where power arrangements can vary wildly with every monarch. It's a regular corporate business with clear-cut contractually structured roles. Fletcher is the most powerful management figure in team history. He just sucks at his job. Tortorella isn't in charge of anything but coaching. He doesn't play GM or step out of line. Even when his GM is doing stuff he disagrees with, he does what he thinks he can within what he's given.

If Fletcher is on thin ice then if anything he's less likely to be giving power away and letting his fate rest in someone else's hands. And if the only person above him has ordered that he and Flahr both step out of the decision making process to let Tortorella (who has no experience in management) run the whole show, then both of them should just be jobless right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts isn't running the "whole show," as Fletcher pointed out, he wasn't involved in the draft (maybe with the 1st rd pick but not the rest) b/c those players won't even be in Philly for 4-5 years.

But deciding who to play, and who to keep at the end of the season, that's all on Torts.
In CBJ, Torts played 3rd and 4th rd picks over 1st rd picks, which essentially is showing up your GM.
They dumped most of the veterans after his first season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts isn't running the "whole show," as Fletcher pointed out, he wasn't involved in the draft (maybe with the 1st rd pick but not the rest) b/c those players won't even be in Philly for 4-5 years.

But deciding who to play, and who to keep at the end of the season, that's all on Torts.
In CBJ, Torts played 3rd and 4th rd picks over 1st rd picks, which essentially is showing up your GM.
They dumped most of the veterans after his first season.

No, that's not all on Tortorella. That's all on Fletcher and Fletcher would be insane to hand his fate to someone else. At that point you just fire Fletcher and make Tortorella GM.

Tortorella didn't make his rosters in Columbus.

It's really weird how you've swung from "coaches don't matter and they're all fungible" to "coaches are the real power."

I guess you should admit Sullivan is an amazing coach for building those Cup teams, huh? Shouldn't you be laying all blame upon Hakstol for those ugly years too?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ivan is what an 8 year vet now? Him being 25 matters very little.
He’s still only 25, & there have been rumors about maturity issues.

Point is, if you potentially have 11 players 25 & under in your lineup, it’s a young lineup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, that's not all on Tortorella. That's all on Fletcher and Fletcher would be insane to hand his fate to someone else. At that point you just fire Fletcher and make Tortorella GM.

Tortorella didn't make his rosters in Columbus.

It's really weird how you've swung from "coaches don't matter and they're all fungible" to "coaches are the real power."

I guess you should admit Sullivan is an amazing coach for building those Cup teams, huh? Shouldn't you be laying all blame upon Hakstol for those ugly years too?
Those teams were built around Sullivan, a half dozen starters were promoted from his AHL teams.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Those teams were built around Sullivan, a half dozen starters were promoted from his AHL teams.

That sounds a lot like "building around Sullivan." Those were his players, were they not?

Weird how in that scenario the coach is meaningless but here, now, where it works in your favor to shift power and blame away from Fletcher, the coach is everything.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Have you played competitive sports?

If you have, you should know there’s absolutely a psychological component, & intimidation can change the way athletes perform.

But I guess you’re one of those advanced stat adherents who believe that games are played on spreadsheets & the “mental” component doesn’t exist.

hahaa! do you actualy think the mcdavids of hockey and skill guys like him shake in their skates cuz of useless goons ??

no... they skate past them, score then laugh in their face as they go back to the bench...

this isnt the godam 70s anymore

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And if the team is awful, suddenly it's not Torts fault because he's only the coach.

The team won't be awful unless Hart gets injured or repeats 2020-21. No HC can win with goalies giving up an extra goal per game.
Otherwise Torts will have them skating hard, and they have enough young legs to make opponents work.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
hahaa! do you actualy think the mcdavids of hockey and skill guys like him shake in their skates cuz of useless goons ??

no... they skate past them, score then laugh in their face as they go back to the bench...

this isnt the godam 70s anymore
Yeah, because that’s really what I implied. That McDavid would wilt because of Deslauriers.

But there *are* players who can mentally be distracted & thrown off their games. And I believe having a guy like Deslauriers on the team will help some of the Flyers’ younger players play with more confidence & probably get harassed a little less. Because teams *will* try to intimidate them.

But yeah, the mental part of the game doesn’t exist. What an outrageous take of mine to believe it does. Ignore what the players say themselves. They wouldn’t know better than Flyerfan4life!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There is no team. There is only Torts.

Kneel before Torts.
Not sure there is any room in front on Torts due to certain people kneeling, and slobbering over him.

In the end, it's a disgrace that we buy out 1 year and 3 million on a 3rd liner who still can be better due to health, to give most of it to a 4th liner and give him 4 years.

Just awful decision after awful decision by Cuck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The team won't be awful unless Hart gets injured or repeats 2020-21. No HC can win with goalies giving up an extra goal per game.
Otherwise Torts will have them skating hard, and they have enough young legs to make opponents work.

The team can very easily be awful with good goaltending.

We've gone from "coaches are completely and totally irrelevant" to "coaches are all-powerful and can work miracles."

What young players? Fletcher will stash as many as possible in the AHL. Even if Tortorella has some great affinity for youth, he won't have access to them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, because that’s really what I implied. That McDavid would wilt because of Deslauriers.

But there *are* players who can mentally be distracted & thrown off their games. And I believe having a guy like Deslauriers on the team will help some of the Flyers’ younger players play with more confidence & probably get harassed a little less. Because teams *will* try to intimidate them.

But yeah, the mental part of the game doesn’t exist. What an outrageous take of mine to believe it does. Ignore what the players say themselves. They wouldn’t know better than Flyerfan4life!

Those players are weak and shouldn't be on the roster. They drag the team down as much as Deslauriers.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team can very easily be awful with good goaltending.

We've gone from "coaches are completely and totally irrelevant" to "coaches are all-powerful and can work miracles."

What young players? Fletcher will stash as many as possible in the AHL. Even if Tortorella has some great affinity for youth, he won't have access to them.
The roster is worse than the one we started last year with. It can absolutely be just as awful, if not worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad