Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
You mean like Zito paying a 2023 1st, a 4th and their #10 prospect for two months of Chiarot and a subpar performance in the playoffs?
Which shouldn't have been a surprise, xGFrel in his playoff career: -7.80, +3.99, -15.17, -6.98, -5.01.
Chiarot signed a 4yr/$19M contract with Detroit, starting at 31 years old, is Yzerman an idiot?

Teams value players differently than analytics, and it seems to be a general trend, not just a few GMs on losing franchises.

Josh Manson is another throw back D-man, he got 4yr/$18M from the Avs.
He's not as bad as Chiarot, but he's still a Dino dream.
But on a team with smurf D-men, he does balance them out and let them carry the puck for him.
All GM's make mistakes. Limiting them is what separates the good from bad.

Yet both contracts show how bad of an overpay it was for Risto.

Also comparing a team thinking they are a legit couple players away from a cup is diff then a last place team extending Risto for 6 years don't you think?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
With the Huberdeau contract & some other big contracts handed out around the league recently, the Couturier contract looks like a downright bargain as long as he rebounds from the surgery & returns to a 1C level.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All GM's make mistakes. Limiting them is what separates the good from bad.

Yet both contracts show how bad of an overpay it was for Risto.

Also comparing a team thinking they are a legit couple players away from a cup is diff then a last place team extending Risto for 6 years don't you think?
The point wasn't whether RIsto was a good move, just that players like that are valued around the NHL, and not just by "loser" GMs.
Like I said, Fletcher's problem isn't overpaying, it's paying for the wrong players.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The point wasn't whether RIsto was a good move, just that players like that are valued around the NHL, and not just by "loser" GMs.
Like I said, Fletcher's problem isn't overpaying, it's paying for the wrong players.
Overpaying is an issue. Baffles me how you try to say otherwise. Look at every contract he has given to players he re-signed. Do you see a lot of good value there? His free agents are over payed.

Players who are clearly better than Risto are valued I agree.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
With the Huberdeau contract & some other big contracts handed out around the league recently, the Couturier contract looks like a downright bargain as long as he rebounds from the surgery & returns to a 1C level.
Agreed and I can't stand the Couturier contract and still believe we will regret it. With GM's it seems the misery truly loves company......

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I can understand not liking the contract (mainly the term), but I can also completely understand how he landed that much and was not surprised by it. Same reason the Ducks were able to get a 3rd for him as rental. For whatever value one happens to place on that role - Des has established himself as one of the most coveted in the league for the particular role he fills.

In the end I really think you guys will end up respecting the guy too much to really care about his contract unless it was completely absurd. It's 4th line money for a guy you will love having on your 4th line, more so when you watch the games than from advanced stats. You now have one of the very few true heavyweights left who can also actually play NHL minutes. He has that quality where he can just blow the roof off the arena. Will be one of, if not the most respected guy in the dressing room and an instant fan favorite. Pure energy/heart/physicality all the time. Beyond his own play, his teammates talk about the confidence they get just from having him in their corner. Zegras called him the best teammate he's ever had.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Veteran 4th liners should get $1m unless they are also strong PKers.

But if ND keeps MacEwen out of the Flyers lineup or preferably in the AHL, then I'll consider that a nice bonus.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I can understand not liking the contract (mainly the term), but I can also completely understand how he landed that much and was not surprised by it. Same reason the Ducks were able to get a 3rd for him as rental. For whatever value one happens to place on that role - Des has established himself as one of the most coveted in the league for the particular role he fills.

In the end I really think you guys will end up respecting the guy too much to really care about his contract unless it was completely absurd. It's 4th line money for a guy you will love having on your 4th line, more so when you watch the games than from advanced stats. You now have one of the very few true heavyweights left who can also actually play NHL minutes. He has that quality where he can just blow the roof off the arena. Will be one of, if not the most respected guy in the dressing room and an instant fan favorite. Pure energy/heart/physicality all the time. Beyond his own play, his teammates talk about the confidence they get just from having him in their corner. Zegras called him the best teammate he's ever had.
Zegras loved Deslauriers.

“That day he went to Minnesota absolutely sucked for us all.”

He also doesn’t think Beagle would have beat up Troy Terry after Zegras scored a lacrosse goal if Deslauriers were still on the team.

The Flyers are going to have a really young team, & they play in a division with some of the most intimidating, physical players in the league.

It makes all the sense in the world that they targeted Deslauriers for the sakes of all the young players in the lineup. His acquisition goes far beyond his personal stats — it’s the ripple effect of helping the young players feel more comfortable & play to the best of *their* abilities.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You mean like Zito paying a 2023 1st, a 4th and their #10 prospect for two months of Chiarot and a subpar performance in the playoffs?
Which shouldn't have been a surprise, xGFrel in his playoff career: -7.80, +3.99, -15.17, -6.98, -5.01.
Chiarot signed a 4yr/$19M contract with Detroit, starting at 31 years old, is Yzerman an idiot?

Teams value players differently than analytics, and it seems to be a general trend, not just a few GMs on losing franchises.

Josh Manson is another throw back D-man, he got 4yr/$18M from the Avs.
He's not as bad as Chiarot, but he's still a Dino dream.
But on a team with smurf D-men, he does balance them out and let them carry the puck for him.

Yes, Zito made a bad move.

Manson is pretty clearly superior to Deslauriers and is an effective player, your attempts to lie about him aren't functional. We all know what he is.

Deslauriers is miserable. He's bad. Chuck being willing to pay the most for him over other bad GMs doesn't change that.

By the way, your gotcha attempts with Sakic and Zito are even more comedic than your gotcha attempts with Sullivan and Trotz back when you insisted daily that coaching is irrelvant and doesn't matter at all, when Hakstol was your idol. Zito overpaid for Chiarot. If Fletcher were in charge of Florida, he'd have not only overpaid for him, he'd have handed him the bad contract too. Unlike Fletcher, Zito is still smart enough to let him walk. Instead of bowing to the market, which you seem to think is downright acceptable despite your insistence that GMs shouldn't do it.

Sakic, Zito, and Yzerman make occasional mistakes. What separates Fletcher from them and puts him in the toilet bowl is that those GMs also make good moves. Their mistakes tend to be occasional. Fletcher's mistakes are nonstop. They're everything he does. They're almost all he does. None of those 3 GMs has made their team steadily much worse while also going over the cap in the process. That's an absolute feat of incompetence. And a big reason he got there was "paying market price." So yeah, that's not the defense you think it is. It's a condemnation.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

He also doesn’t think Beagle would have beat up Troy Terry after Zegras scored a lacrosse goal if Deslauriers were still on the team.

The Flyers are going to have a really young team, & they play in a division with some of the most intimidating, physical players in the league.

It makes all the sense in the world that they targeted Deslauriers for the sakes of all the young players in the lineup. His acquisition goes far beyond his personal stats — it’s the ripple effect of helping the young players feel more comfortable & play to the best of *their* abilities.

what a complete load of bullshit...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Beagle would have still beaten him up. Nobody gives a shit about "enforcers." They haven't prevented anything from happening on the ice in many years. It's a complete myth. Beagle could have beaten him senseless and then ignored Deslauriers and nothing would have happened to him. Or he could take the fight and turtle. Nobody is afraid of any of these guys.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
what a complete load of bullshit...
Have you played competitive sports?

If you have, you should know there’s absolutely a psychological component, & intimidation can change the way athletes perform.

But I guess you’re one of those advanced stat adherents who believe that games are played on spreadsheets & the “mental” component doesn’t exist.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just because it is market price, doesn't mean it isn't overpriced.

See: Real Estate, used cars, politicians...
We also don’t know what the market for him was. All we know is what Fletcher offered him.

For all we know every other interested team only offered $1m for 1 or 2 years and Chuck was the only one who offered $1.7m x 4.

But, to be fair to Chuck, we probably shouldn’t assume he made a mistake because he doesn’t have a long history of paying an insane amount on horrible players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Have you played competitive sports?

If you have, you should know there’s absolutely a psychological component, & intimidation can change the way athletes perform.

But I guess you’re one of those advanced stat adherents who believe that games are played on spreadsheets & the “mental” component doesn’t exist.

If your roster needs to cower behind a bad and useless thug then it's a bad roster that needs a complete overhaul in mindset.

I despise appealing to the BSB, but one thing that group got right was that they all were happy to take care of their own business and each other. They feared nobody. They weren't hiding behind Schultz. Schultz was just the most violent of them. The trash that they need Deslauriers or they'd just be oh-too-scared of being hit out there is gross, and if that's the team Fletcher built then you shouldn't be defending him. That's a team of losers. Nothing is more "anti-Flyers" than the idea that they need Deslauriers to feel brave.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Nah he stinks

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If your roster needs to cower behind a bad and useless thug then it's a bad roster that needs a complete overhaul in mindset.
Ever avoid walking past someone because you they gave you a bad vibe?

I guarantee you have.

Intimidation changed your behavior. Maybe if you were walking with a big-ass dog you wouldn’t have altered your path.

These athletes are humans, not just numbers on a chart. Their behavior and performance can be impacted positively & negatively for psychological reasons, just like yours can.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ever avoid walking past someone because you they gave you a bad vibe?

I guarantee you have.

Intimidation changed your behavior. Maybe if you were walking with a big-ass dog you wouldn’t have altered your path.

These athletes are humans, not just numbers on a chart. Their behavior and performance can be impacted positively & negatively for psychological reasons, just like yours can.

No, I have not. The second you show you're afraid you mark yourself as a target. I don't live my life in terror.

You are fine with having a team of cowards so long as they can hide behind a dude who won't actually make a difference or prevent anything?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
No, I have not. The second you show you're afraid you mark yourself as a target. I don't live my life in terror.

You are fine with having a team of cowards so long as they can hide behind a dude who won't actually make a difference or prevent anything?
I don’t believe for a nanosecond that intimidation has never in your life impacted your behavior. What a crock. Probably did on a daily basis when you were in school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad