Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I really haven't paid much attention this year but I remember reading earlier in the year year Tortellini was scratching Frost because there were players much more deserving of a lineup spot. This was, iirc, less than 10 games into the new season, and Frost was coming off a great second half of the previous season.

Is there any particular reason that Deslauriers' 3 points on the year have only missed him one game while Frost has eaten almost a dozen healthy scratches?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I really haven't paid much attention this year but I remember reading earlier in the year year Tortellini was scratching Frost because there were players much more deserving of a lineup spot. This was, iirc, less than 10 games into the new season, and Frost was coming off a great second half of the previous season.

Is there any particular reason that Deslauriers' 3 points on the year have only missed him one game while Frost has eaten almost a dozen healthy scratches?
Torts treats everyone equally..

except for those he doesnt.. 🤣🤣

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He even specifically admitted that Frost wasn’t bad in the two games before being scratched, it was that “others were just better”.

Then he kept lying about “wanting to get him back in”, but “not being able to scratch anyone else”.

Then he claimed that Frost was scratched because he wasn’t producing enough, while others who produced less and did less outside of scoring weren’t scratched.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Nic can't skate at an NHL level. What a horrible contract.
It is easily solved. Sure, you can't go back in time a put a bullet in CF's head right before he went crazy, but you can waive ND (originally I thought he had a NMC but its only a mod-NTC). This way you at least bury 2/3 of the contract, but Tortorella would break out in hives if that happened

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We’ve been told repeatedly that Briere vociferously pushed the Deslauriers signing.

And I don’t want these two doofuses to get lost in the shuffle: Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray are likely the two most important day to day advisors. Who drafted Deslauriers? Lombardi with the Kings. Who traded for Deslauriers in 2019 and then re-signed him? Murray.

Lombardi and Murray are two of the biggest size+grit dinos in the league, and this team, whenever they decide to shift to compete mode, will further have their Jurassic Park footprints on it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last ten games, Deslauriers was scratched once and averaged 7.5 minutes a night. And that included a road trip and some physical opponents.

Yeah, he's being phased out, if Allison was tearing up the AHL, he might already be benched, but no one on the Phantoms is making a serious bid for a promotion mid-season. I'd like to see Laczynski raise his game a notch and force their hand. Or Lycksell play as well as last season.

We'll see what happens this summer, Gauthier in the lineup next year, who gets traded, who gets promoted and signed to low cost deals. Still think they need to move a RH winger for a true LW so Foerster and Tippett can move back to the right side.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It is easily solved. Sure, you can't go back in time a put a bullet in CF's head right before he went crazy, but you can waive ND (originally I thought he had a NMC but its only a mod-NTC). This way you at least bury 2/3 of the contract, but Tortorella would break out in hives if that happened
I don't think he'll be waived, but he has to be benched once Cates is healthy. Has to.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Last ten games, Deslauriers was scratched once and averaged 7.5 minutes a night. And that included a road trip and some physical opponents.

Yeah, he's being phased out, if Allison was tearing up the AHL, he might already be benched, but no one on the Phantoms is making a serious bid for a promotion mid-season. I'd like to see Laczynski raise his game a notch and force their hand. Or Lycksell play as well as last season.

We'll see what happens this summer, Gauthier in the lineup next year, who gets traded, who gets promoted and signed to low cost deals. Still think they need to move a RH winger for a true LW so Foerster and Tippett can move back to the right side.

If no one on the Phantoms is having a good individual season I think that speaks more towards the coaching down there than it does the individual players themselves. I'd still like to see Laczynski, Allison, Lycksell, etc... get a cup of coffee on the 4th line (or 3rd in place of Atkinson!) and go from there.

You're replacing a bottom of the barrel player in Deslauriers - it can't be hard to replace his 7 minutes (if that) of TOI per game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He doesn't need to be "phased out." He can just be sat, immediately, until his contract ends.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Deady, IIRC, you keep saying Torts is good for the young players, why not bring one of them up and see if interacting with him every day would help them benefit from his wisdom? Maybe what some of these players need is a sense that the organization wants to challenge them, and is willing to trust them on a bigger stage to give them that challenge.

The fact that it removes demonstrably our worst player from an everyday role is, of course, a pleasant bonus.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is actually one useful service The Big D provides. He sets expectations. Him and Hathaway and Staal. Their continued eternal presence over superior young players, while guys like Brink and Frost sit for no reason and others have infinite grace, all informs us that this management group which is the same as the last management group is in fact the same management group.

So we know there's no reason to have hope! Makes it hard to be disappointed.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This guy is getting paid to have a fight a month, his only fights have been with other heavyweights....be a locker room guy, and play for under 5 minutes a night while contributing 3 total points in 38 games.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
We’ve been told repeatedly that Briere vociferously pushed the Deslauriers signing.

And I don’t want these two doofuses to get lost in the shuffle: Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray are likely the two most important day to day advisors. Who drafted Deslauriers? Lombardi with the Kings. Who traded for Deslauriers in 2019 and then re-signed him? Murray.

Lombardi and Murray are two of the biggest size+grit dinos in the league, and this team, whenever they decide to shift to compete mode, will further have their Jurassic Park footprints on it.
I’ll have you know, nerd, that the Flyers are back this year specifically because they finally let hockey people run the show! This post will age like milk!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This guy is getting paid to have a fight a month, his only fights have been with other heavyweights....be a locker room guy, and play for under 5 minutes a night while contributing 3 total points in 38 games.

It's the Jody Shelley mistake all over again.

All the same people doing all the same things that they've always done.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's good work if you can get it. Only so many Briere's left though.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Why is Nicky D in the lineup, and Foerster's not? Did I miss an injury, or did Tyson make a booboo?

And having 11 forwards, with 1 that barely plays can't be good for the long run..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad