Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deslauriers has zero competition. Fletcher is obsessed with roles. He believes that Deslauriers fills a specific role that he thinks the team needs. Nothing will budge him from the roster.

We learned this long ago during the Stewart debacle, where a bunch of slobs were competing among themselves for a specific job on the team that wasn't open to any of the prospects who were actually better players.

Multiple prospects can outplay him and it will not matter.
A half dozen prospects played more than Stewart or Androff that season.
Farabee (19) 52g, NAK (23) 36g, Lindblom (23) 30g, Bunnaman (21) 21g, Frost (20) 20g, Vorobyev (23) 20g, Twarynski (22) 15g

Stewart 16g, Andreoff 14g, many due to multiple injuries

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Farabee (19) 52g, NAK (23) 36g, Lindblom (23) 30g, Bunnaman (21) 21g, Frost (20) 20g, Vorobyev (23) 20g, Twarynski (22) 15g

Because they were so absurdly terrible.

It didn't stop them from starting with an assured roster spot to fill a role, despite being blatantly worse than the prospects from Day 1.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
For 1.5 year we saw Nate bring down the abilities of whoever played on his line. Get ready for the same with Deslauries. I can't wait to see Frost or Cates playing on the same line and game 40 people on the boards are crying and b'ing why Cates/Frost only has 8 points. While at the same time Oskar has a 40 point season and the fans on the board wonder why Oskar got good again?
Joke is on us, the players Deslauriers will be playing with have no abilities to bring down.

4D checkers Chuck is playing here.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Joke is on us, the players Deslauriers will be playing with have no abilities to bring down.

4D checkers Chuck is playing here.
If Flyers were smart they would be trying prospects and playing 4 lines. You would hope one of allison/l-ski would be healthy, play rat and see what u got. What would flyers lose? 73 point season instead of 77?

In reality Brown Zach attack and Desi will be the slogs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Flyers were smart they would be trying prospects and playing 4 lines. You would hope one of allison/l-ski would be healthy, play rat and see what u got. What would flyers lose? 73 point season instead of 77?

In reality Brown Zach attack and Desi will be the slogs
They will be trying prospects, that's Torts' MO. He'll evaluate everyone this season to prepare for next season.
Allison and Laczynski have to stay healthy to play.
Ratcliffe has to show enough not to be exposed to waivers.
Hodgson, Willman, Sandin, Marody are at an age where they need to impress.

Foerster, Wisdom, Desnoyers, Lycksell, Brink, Attard, Zamula, Hogberg, Wylie will start in LHV, but if they show enough, they'll get their change to convince Torts they should be in the NHL.

If JVR is still here in October, they want to showcase him to get someone to take him with 50% retained in the spring.
They trade Braun again if he shows enough to find a taker.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Interesting that of those seven players, only two are still with the organization.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It really shouldn't be that hard to admit that Chris Stewart should not have played a single NHL game in 19-20. His career was already over, and the only person who didn't know that was the Flyers GM. Literally no other team would have signed him or played him.
They lacked a net front presence once they traded Simmonds - I think they were hoping Stewart might provide that in sheltered minutes.

In fact, Toronto played 33 year old Simmonds 72 games last year, 9 minutes a night, pretty much in that role - they just had better talent to surround him and hide his limitations.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They will be trying prospects, that's Torts' MO. He'll evaluate everyone this season to prepare for next season.
Allison and Laczynski have to stay healthy to play.
Ratcliffe has to show enough not to be exposed to waivers.
Hodgson, Willman, Sandin, Marody are at an age where they need to impress.

Foerster, Wisdom, Desnoyers, Lycksell, Brink, Attard, Zamula, Hogberg, Wylie will start in LHV, but if they show enough, they'll get their change to convince Torts they should be in the NHL.

If JVR is still here in October, they want to showcase him to get someone to take him with 50% retained in the spring.
They trade Braun again if he shows enough to find a taker.
How will they try the prospects when they will not be on the NHL roster. Please answer this for me.

Prepare for next season. That is the Flyers MO.

they wouldn't even give Isaac an extended look last season. They wouldn't give Hodgson an extended look. Will you ever admit the GM is incompetent?

Showcase JVR lol. Everyone in the league and other leagues knows what he can and cant do. He does not any showcasing.

Cracks me up when yo mention every prospect. Many will never ever see the NHL.

They lacked a net front presence once they traded Simmonds - I think they were hoping Stewart might provide that in sheltered minutes.

In fact, Toronto played 33 year old Simmonds 72 games last year, 9 minutes a night, pretty much in that role - they just had better talent to surround him and hide his limitations.
I do not think for one second that is what they were hoping Chris would do. It was a clear cut favor to a player who was no longer NHL caliber. A pay day for him if you will

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How will they try the prospects when they will not be on the NHL roster. Please answer this for me.

Prepare for next season. That is the Flyers MO.

they wouldn't even give Isaac an extended look last season. They wouldn't give Hodgson an extended look. Will you ever admit the GM is incompetent?

Showcase JVR lol. Everyone in the league and other leagues knows what he can and cant do. He does not any showcasing.

Cracks me up when yo mention every prospect. Many will never ever see the NHL.
He's done it for years. Rinse and repeat.

6nygq0.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The trade value of a 33 year old player is predicated on him showing he can still do it.
JVR's value in March will be highly dependent on his performance in the first 60 games of the season.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I think they were hoping Stewart might provide that in sheltered minutes.

Isn't this part of the problem, though? The inability to identify *and* acquire quality NHL talent?

The Florida trade for Tkachuk is the kind of move the Flyers should be doing if they want the "aggressive retool" approach. Bold move, legitimate talent under 25.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Stewart played a grand total of 23 seconds on the PP. He didn't give them a netfront presence there, or anywhere else. But the 19-20 Flyers PP scored on 20.8% of its chances. Significantly more than the 17.1% rate it managed in 18-19 mostly with Simmonds in the lineup, and a tiny bit more than 20.7% rate from 17-18 which had a full season of Simmonds.

Wayne Simmonds in 21-22 scored 16 points in 72 games, 15 of them at ES. There's is literally no comparison between him and the broken down husk of a hockey player Chris Stewart was in 19-20.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The trade value of a 33 year old player is predicated on him showing he can still do it.
JVR's value in March will be highly dependent on his performance in the first 60 games of the season.
His trade value will likely not change much at all no matter how he plays. Unless he totally falls off a cliff.

His value is more or less set imo. Teams know what they will be getting.

It's hard to fix years of lost development.
Not if the if the talent there.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Hits on the forecheck matter, it means you're getting to opposing players while they have or just after they get rid of the puck (forcing mistakes) - if you're too slow, it's either a penalty or a non-hit (you shy away from contact).

Block shots matter.
But the flyers forecheck for the past 3 coaches only uses one forechecker in deep to force the puck to a certain side rather than pressure and hit the puck carrier. Watching the main forechecker slowly skate at the puck handler with his stick stretched out in the passing zone and peeling away has caused me a lot of aggravation from Hakstol thru Yeo.

When you use blocking shots as your main defensive strategy rather than pressuring the puck they don’t matter. They injure your players and obstruct your goalies view.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Isn't this part of the problem, though? The inability to identify *and* acquire quality NHL talent?

The Florida trade for Tkachuk is the kind of move the Flyers should be doing if they want the "aggressive retool" approach. Bold move, legitimate talent under 25.
We didn't have the players that would make sense in that kind of deal.
Why would you trade Farabee (22) and ??? (have to match cap and value) for Tkachuk (24) if you're rebuilding?

But the flyers forecheck for the past 3 coaches only uses one forechecker in deep to force the puck to a certain side rather than pressure and hit the puck carrier. Watching the main forechecker slowly skate at the puck handler with his stick stretched out in the passing zone and peeling away has caused me a lot of aggravation from Hakstol thru Yeo.

When you use blocking shots as your main defensive strategy rather than pressuring the puck they don’t matter. They injure your players and obstruct your goalies view.
Torts uses a more aggressive forecheck, and Shaw is more aggressive on the PK.

I'd rather see odd man rushes against us b/c we're overly aggressive than b/c we passively give up the puck and allow teams to quickly flip the ice.

Reactions: Hanover Fist

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His trade value will likely not change much at all no matter how he plays. Unless he totally falls off a cliff.

His value is more or less set imo. Teams know what they will be getting.

Not if the if the talent there.

If the talent to only be a middle/bottom sixer is there, then years of lost development that squanders necessary skills for the NHL isn't going to be overcome. There's a reason why the Flyers can only succeed with the players who were too good to fail and can't manage to reliably produce anything else while other teams can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad