Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I dont see those 4 as kids. None will be on the ice with ND to boot.
You don’t consider Frost, Tippett, Cates, & York as kids?

I do. They are 4 young players with pretty minimal NHL experience.

And it helps minimize shenanigans & intimidation efforts just by having a guy like Deslauriers on the bench. It gives players a little more confidence. Doesn’t mean they need to be on the ice together to have that impact.

I’ll add that Deslauriers is a high-effort, high-energy wing who was I think 6th in the NHL in hits.

They want a 4th line that will be high energy & crash & bang. They didn’t have nearly enough of a physical forecheck last season.

Reactions: yzerman

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

And it helps minimize shenanigans & intimidation efforts just by having a guy like Deslauriers on the bench. It gives players a little more confidence. Doesn’t mean they need to be on the ice together to have that impact.

I’ll add that Deslauriers is a high-effort, high-energy wing who was I think 6th in the NHL in hits.

They want a 4th line that will be high energy & crash & bang. They didn’t have nearly enough of a physical forecheck last season.

Nobody in the NHL gives a shit about Deslauriers. It's a myth used to justify bad signings. Nothing will be prevented. Cheap shops will still happen. Hits will still happen. The other team can laugh at Deslauriers and skate away, and let him put them on the PP. It's not 2001.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

York sure. The others are 23 years old so they are not 19 year old kids. They should want a 4th line that can try to add some scoring. Not one that will do nothing offensively and get killed defensively.

Nobody in the NHL gives a shit about Deslauriers. It's a myth used to justify bad signings. Nothing will be prevented. Cheap shops will still happen. Hits will still happen. The other team can laugh at Deslauriers and skate away, and let him put them on the PP. It's not 2001.
Correct. Those days are sadly over. Laugh they will and it will be a double laugh when they see Zac next to him.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
No there’s lots of us who enjoy Deslauriers. Guess that’s why he had more interested teams than Johnny Hockey

Reactions: Fotiu29

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
York sure. The others are 23 years old so they are not 19 year old kids. They should want a 4th line that can try to add some scoring. Not one that will do nothing offensively and get killed defensively.

Correct. Those days are sadly over. Laugh they will and it will be a double laugh when they see Zac next to him.
I think the Deslauriers acquisition is a good one, who will help younger players’ confidence & who will help set a tone the Flyers lacked the last two years.

They’re trying to regain a personality & a hard-to-play against identity. Sometimes the value of acquisitions exceeds Corsi data. You add Deslauriers. You add Torts. Hell, even Rocky Thompson. Maybe Allison makes the team. DeAngelo is a firecracker. They’re injecting life & personality back into this club.

And that angle is being severely overlooked & underappreciated. This team is better than people think, & will certainly be more watchable.

Reactions: Flyerfan18

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think the Deslauriers acquisition is a good one, who will help younger players’ confidence & who will help set a tone the Flyers lacked the last two years.

They’re trying to regain a personality & a hard-to-play against identity. Sometimes the value of acquisitions exceeds Corsi data. You add Deslauriers. You add Torts. Hell, even Rocky Thompson. Maybe Allison makes the team. DeAngelo is a firecracker. They’re injecting life & personality back into this club.

And that angle is being severely overlooked & underappreciated. This team is better than people think, & will certainly be more watchable.
I do not have an issue with Nic D the player. He is fine for his role if that is what a team wants. I also do not think he is as bad as the spreadsheet show's. What I have issue with is he is not the right fit for this team at this time.

I want to see what Allison ,Issac, Tanner can do; maybe Forester comes out of nowhere. These guys need a chance to show what they have. We know what ND and Zac offer. Add in fn Brown and these guys will be hard pressed to make the team. They may never be NHL players though I sure as shit would like to find out.

You want to be hard to play against then be a puck possession team. Make the other team chase you instead of you chasing them. I do not thin ND makes the team harder to play against in any way.

Also didn't Hodgson sign a 2 year deal a few months back? Rather give him another look as he seemed fine to me in that small sample.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I do not have an issue with Nic D the player. He is fine for his role if that is what a team wants. I also do not think he is as bad as the spreadsheet show's. What I have issue with is he is not the right fit for this team at this time.

I want to see what Allison ,Issac, Tanner can do; maybe Forester comes out of nowhere. These guys need a chance to show what they have. We know what ND and Zac offer. Add in fn Brown and these guys will be hard pressed to make the team. They may never be NHL players though I sure as shit would like to find out.

You want to be hard to play against then be a puck possession team. Make the other team chase you instead of you chasing them. I do not thin ND makes the team harder to play against in any way.

Also didn't Hodgson sign a 2 year deal a few months back? Rather give him another look as he seemed fine to me in that small sample.
Maybe. But MacEwen & Brown are blocking no one. They were waived after last preseason (by different teams) & will be again if Laczynski & Allison show anything.

Ratcliffe hasn’t even been good in the AHL. Maybe he gets the 13th/14th spot. Maybe he’s waived. Just another failed 2nd rounder like NAK & Laberge.

Foerster is going to need some AHL time after missing most of last year. Wisdom, too. But they’ll force the Flyers to make that decision mid-season, not right away.

Hodgson, hey, if he can beat out Ratcliffe, MacEwen, Brown, & one of Allison/Laczynski, good for him. If not, I’m not losing sleep over it.

Point is, IMO, a guy like Deslauriers is a net benefit to this team. And I’m not worried about his “blocking” anyone. He’s got his role. Up to the rest of these fringe guys to win theirs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maybe. But MacEwen & Brown are blocking no one. They were waived after last preseason (by different teams) & will be again if Laczynski & Allison show anything.

Ratcliffe hasn’t even been good in the AHL. Maybe he gets the 13th/14th spot. Maybe he’s waived. Just another failed 2nd rounder like NAK & Laberge.

Foerster is going to need some AHL time after missing most of last year. Wisdom, too. But they’ll force the Flyers to make that decision mid-season, not right away.

Hodgson, hey, if he can beat out Ratcliffe, MacEwen, Brown, & one of Allison/Laczynski, good for him. If not, I’m not losing sleep over it.

Point is, IMO, a guy like Deslauriers is a net benefit to this team. And I’m not worried about his “blocking” anyone. He’s got his role. Up to the rest of these fringe guys to win theirs.

It doesn't matter what any prospect shows. For years we have watched them outplay slop veterans, and then Fletcher picks the slop over them. Merit is irrelevant.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If this team has any shot at being competitive, they'd need a bottom 6 that can score at a respectable rate to pick up the slack from a lackluster top of the roster. But this team is content rolling out 3 plugs on the 4th line like it's 1999.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

AND he will be in OnB now... if he acts like goon he will get called 100% of the time..

i remember when Gudas came here and played the same was he used to on other teams.. but in Philly his hip checks against the boards would lay guys out and sure enuf the refs arm would go up...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Torts runs the team like he did CBJ his first season, by the end of the season he'll phase the veteran scrubs out and the kids in to prepare them for 2023-24, and next summer there will be an exodus of veterans.

The only real competition right now for Deslauriers is Ratcliffe, Lycksell could push at LW but he'll start in LHV to acclimate to NA ice. Desnoyers is only 20 and will be tried at center first. The other prospects are all RH.

MacEwen on the other hand will have plenty of competition.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If Torts runs the team like he did CBJ his first season, by the end of the season he'll phase the veteran scrubs out and the kids in to prepare them for 2023-24, and next summer there will be an exodus of veterans.

The only real competition right now for Deslauriers is Ratcliffe, Lycksell could push at LW but he'll start in LHV to acclimate to NA ice. Desnoyers is only 20 and will be tried at center first. The other prospects are all RH.

There is no competition for ND. None. Zero.

You seem to mention Desnoyers a lot. He is not even on their radar for this upcoming season in any way.

ZAc may not have much competition if they send down guys early in camp

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Do you honestly think with they way the GM and coach talk that Zac is not in the opening night lineup? Apparently Laczynski & Allison do not have to clear waivers. That will play against them big time when it comes to Brown and Zac.

As far as Isaac, I am not big fan and dont think much of him. That being said he looked more than capable in his 10 games. He should have been given an extended look. Why he was not I have no idea. Same with Hodgson. Them both being sent down is mind boggling to me.

Forester will need time, point was what if he kills it in camp. They will not keep him up.

Do not see ND as a benefit at all in 2022. Unless trying to look for ways to handicap your team.

Here is the thing, the fringe guys have to do more than outplay others. The coach will only play whoever the GM keeps on the roster. Let those guys play the first 20 games or so. Then make a decision. We know what you will get from the new bruise brothers.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017

The operative phrase in your post is “a guy like” Deslauriers. Chuck paid 50% more than he needed to for that role for two or three years longer than he needed to. THAT is the criticism that I guarantee the majority of the board has on the acquisition.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I love a good hypothetical on a slow work day. How much ice time would you have to give Deslauriers to get 20 Points out of him? We'll have to assume he plays 82 Games because I would assume it was meant in that spirit. And really, if he misses time, the team is sunk anyway.

Over the last 3 seasons, he's scored at a convenient ~1 Point/60 at 5v5. Some quick head math says that means that at his recent rate of scoring, he would need ~1200 Minutes to hit 20 Points. If we assume he plays in all 82 Games to be as charitable as possible toward the idea, that would means he needs to play roughly 14.63 5v5 MPG to hit 20.

Here are the Flyers Forwards who played 14.63 or more 5v5 Minutes in '21-22:

I know last year was a mess, so here are the Flyers Forwards who played 14.63 or more 5v5 Minutes in '20-'21:

Here is '19-'20:

What about '18-19: Giroux (We got one!)

'17-18: Giroux, Couturier, Voracek

'16-17:

'15-16:

'14-15: Giroux

I got bored at this point.

That's also assuming he continues shooting over 8% at 5v5. I wouldn't want to bet on that, but I'll leave that up to all of you fine people.
If he’s at the net front for PP1, he’ll get 20 points easy, especially with Tony D at the point

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The operative phrase in your post is “a guy like” Deslauriers. Chuck paid 50% more than he needed to for that role for two or three years longer than he needed to. THAT is the criticism that I guarantee the majority of the board has on the acquisition.
Still pissed that Fletcher gave Deslauriers a 4th liner, term and a modified no trade clause.

Deslauriers is a decent player but not for 4 years and with a M-NTC, who does that as a general manager besides Fletcher.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

They didn't sign ND to a 4 year contract so that he's sitting in the press box before he's even done his first season here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad