Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Ryan Reaves blows. It's 2022. The guy had a career high of 15 points EIGHT SEASONS ago. He's 31 years old. This isn't some up and comer. We know what he is and he got paid more term and more money than he's ever received in a contract.

If you don't think this is a horrid contract then it's time for you to realize that you're in the year 2022.

This guy is a dime a dozen and they actively sought him out and paid him, gave him term, and gave him a NTC.
Here in 2022, established, "sought after" players get paid whether you like it or not. The 4th year and NTC is questionable but I was honestly expecting this guy to get something like 1.95. The reality is, a 1.75 cap hit should have no bearing whatsoever on the Flyers success, especially as the cap continues to rise over the course of the deal. It's a non-issue that no sane person should be as upset as many of the posters are here.

The team is in rough shape and you added a veteran, "identity" guy who has firmly planted himself as one of the toughest 4th liners in the game for years on end. It's just not a big deal.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Here in 2022, established, "sought after" players get paid whether you like it or not. The 4th year and NTC is questionable but I was honestly expecting this guy to get something like 1.95. The reality is, a 1.75 cap hit should have no bearing whatsoever on the Flyers success, especially as the cap continues to rise over the course of the deal. It's a non-issue that no sane person should be as upset as many of the posters are here.

The team is in rough shape and you added a veteran, "identity" guy who has firmly planted himself as one of the toughest 4th liners in the game for years on end. It's just not a big deal.
Oh, so you’re going with the “it’s not franchise crippling in itself so it’s not a big deal” approach that we’ve heard so many times.

The thing is all of these shitty decisions add up and get a franchise to where they’re currently at. Bringing in these “identity guys” and “role fillers” are why this franchise is where it’s at.

In what world does this plug deserve that kind of pay and why would anyone seek him out? I will nearly guarantee that the top teams in the league were not the ones that were seeking this guys service. It was the Flyers of the world.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Is this a Deslauriers burner account?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

If you believe he was "sought after" just because Fletcher said so, you may fall for anything. Fletcher also said "we didn't consider trading for Gaudreau" when it was confirmed by multiple sources that he was actively trying to get teams to take JVR's contract but balked at the asking price, which was a 1st.

Do you expect Fletcher to come out and say, "we just gave a 31-year old goon a 4 year deal for close to $2 mil a pop even though there was no market for him"?

And, how would Fletcher even know he was sought after? Through his agent. I guess his agent was going to say there was zero interest in his client? Or did he play Chuck and tell him there's a bidding war going on and he'd have to go 4 years to land him?

We know the answer. I'm just still amazed Fletcher fell for it. Actually, I'm kind of not.

Fletcher is a comedy act.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Oh, so you’re going with the “it’s not franchise crippling in itself so it’s not a big deal” approach that we’ve heard so many times.

The thing is all of these shitty decisions add up and get a franchise to where they’re currently at. Bringing in these “identity guys” and “role fillers” are why this franchise is where it’s at.

In what world does this plug deserve that kind of pay and why would anyone seek him out? I will nearly guarantee that the top teams in the league were not the ones that were seeking this guys service. It was the Flyers of the world.
The Flyers suck because they lack true elite talent at basically every position and haven't had high end, consistent goaltending in a long time. Yet your fanbase would rather blame the Nate Thompson's and Deslauriers of the world.

Guys like Hayes and Atkinson will take up a combined 13 mil thru 24/25. Couturier is a hell of a player but can't stay healthy and makes 7.75 until 2030! Similar situation with Ellis. These are the types of deals that become problematic, yet 4th liners always become the scapegoat.

My post is in response to the completely insane, over-the-top comments talking about it being the worst contract in franchise history and all that. It's just a ridiculous thing to say no matter how much you might dislike the player. Misguided anger imo.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers suck because they lack true elite talent at basically every position and haven't had high end, consistent goaltending in a long time. Yet your fanbase would rather blame the Nate Thompson's and Deslauriers of the world.

Guys like Hayes and Atkinson will take up a combined 13 mil thru 24/25. Couturier is a hell of a player but can't stay healthy and makes 7.75 until 2030! Similar situation with Ellis. These are the types of deals that become problematic, yet 4th liners always become the scapegoat.

My post is in response to the completely insane, over-the-top comments talking about it being the worst contract in franchise history and all that. It's just a ridiculous thing to say no matter how much you might dislike the player. Misguided anger imo.

The Flyers lack talent because the team prefers Thompsons and Deslaurierses. You are wandering into a conversation you don't understand and that has been ongoing for many, many years.

We do not blame the players, though we hate watching them. The players only represent the processes at work. We blame the processes and the people responsible for them.

Last edited:

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

I think pretty much every single trade and free agent signing Fletcher has made has taken the team down notch by notch by notch. This is yet another.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

As Beef said, you're walking into a conversation that you don't quite understand. Again, we as a fanbase are not looking at this contract as if it is the one that breaks the camels back. It's just another in a long line of moronic decisions that this franchise has made. It is not, nor has it ever been, about this one single decision/move. I apologize that we don't list every other shitty thing the organization has done when we complain about yet another moronic decision. That doesn't mean we don't recognize it.

We have been beaten into submission at this point after years and years of where the organization prefers this type of player and makes it a priority to acquire them over talent. Hell, Tortorella let it out of the bag a few weeks ago that the team brought up Deslauriers in his interview. Once Deslauriers fought Seeler the Flyers were going to do everything they could to get him. They prioritized this guy.

We bitch and moan about players like Hayes and Atkinson every single day. There likely is not a more despised player/contract on this team on this board then Hayes.

We realize the seriousness of the situation with the Flyers. We don't need it to be explained to us.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

I don't mean to be rude here, but at some point, you should at least check into things before you try to make posts like this. When Couturier signed that contract, he had played in 569 out of their last 617 games. That's ~92.2%. If you include the playoffs, that jumps to ~92.5%.

Also, to be clear, people are mostly blaming the front office rather than the players. It's not Deslaurier's fault a dope wrote him a big check.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

ahhh! the ole "nothing matters" reply...

you know all those not a big deals add up to a huge f***ing problem..

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, they don't. Those nothing deals have little impact on the Cap (at worst you bury Deslauriers at the cost of $750K, most of the others had zero cap impact), and these guys played because the "prospects" were worse, Bunnaman, Twarynski, Kase, Rubtsov, Luby, Friedman, etc. While AV did have a fetish for veteran scrubs, Torts does not. He's an equal opportunity asshole as a HC.

Guys like Wisdom and Desnoyers will play ahead of scrub veterans when they're ready, they have the skill package and attitude that makes Trots salivate.
It's players like Foerster, Lycksell, Zamula that will have to "show me" to get PT, it's not a matter of skill, but there is no compromise with Torts, you play the right way or hit the highway.
But the right way isn't the Hakshell, Torts loves aggression, you won't get benched for an aggressive forecheck, you will get benched for a lazy backcheck or cherry picking.
Note that Panarin, an elite offensive forward, had no problem playing for Torts. Neither did a smurf like Atkinson. But lazy ass Laine did.

This team has needed a kick in the ass since AV surrendered, I can't wait to see forwards sit on the bench for a period b/c they repeatedly left too early, leaving their D-men out to dry, or took shifts off, were lazy on the back check or didn't go after the puck along the boards with sufficient snarl.

I have no use for fighting, but God knows this team needs to learn to play "hard," that is, with motor and intensity, not going through the motions.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, they don't. Those nothing deals have little impact on the Cap (at worst you bury Deslauriers at the cost of $750K, most of the others had zero cap impact), and these guys played because the "prospects" were worse, Bunnaman, Twarynski, Kase, Rubtsov, Luby, Friedman, etc. While AV did have a fetish for veteran scrubs, Torts does not. He's an equal opportunity asshole as a HC.

Guys like Wisdom and Desnoyers will play ahead of scrub veterans when they're ready, they have the skill package and attitude that makes Trots salivate.
It's players like Foerster, Lycksell, Zamula that will have to "show me" to get PT, it's not a matter of skill, but there is no compromise with Torts, you play the right way or hit the highway.
But the right way isn't the Hakshell, Torts loves aggression, you won't get benched for an aggressive forecheck, you will get benched for a lazy backcheck or cherry picking.
Note that Panarin, an elite offensive forward, had no problem playing for Torts. Neither did a smurf like Atkinson. But lazy ass Laine did.

This team has needed a kick in the ass since AV surrendered, I can't wait to see forwards sit on the bench for a period b/c they repeatedly left too early, leaving their D-men out to dry, or took shifts off, were lazy on the back check or didn't go after the puck along the boards with sufficient snarl.

I have no use for fighting, but God knows this team needs to learn to play "hard," that is, with motor and intensity, not going through the motions.

Everything matters.

This was demonstrated when a bunch of moves you claimed were "nothing" annually add up to prevent the team from doing anything as those slobs also stop damned near every prospect from developing in the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everything matters.

This was demonstrated when a bunch of moves you claimed were "nothing" annually add up to prevent the team from doing anything as those slobs also stop damned near every prospect from developing in the NHL.
You mean York didn't develop, Frost didn't look like shit until they added Cates and Tippett, who both played 3rd line minutes, Attard didn't start 15 games. Willman and MacEwen got long looks, even Hodgson got a cameo.

The scrubs didn't injure Allison and Laczynski.

The problem has never been scrubs, but the lack of talent at the bottom of the roster.
Bunnaman got 3 chances to win the 4C job and showed he was worse offensively than Thompson, which is like being well below the Mendoza line.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
You mean York didn't develop, Frost didn't look like shit until they added Cates and Tippett, who both played 3rd line minutes, Attard didn't start 15 games. Willman and MacEwen got long looks, even Hodgson got a cameo.

The problem has never been scrubs, but the lack of talent at the bottom of the roster.
Bunnaman got 3 chances to win the 4C job and showed he was worse offensively than Thompson, which is like being well below the Mendoza line.
The scrubs make up the lack of talent at the bottom of the roster because those scrubs keep getting signed and block the youth from playing

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

GRRM should contact you for help finishing Winds of Winter.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The bottom of the Flyers lineup last year bled a goal against almost every other game while giving little back (Thompson, MacEwen, Yandle, etc.). It wasn’t the only reason their team stunk but it played it’s part & in theory it’s the easier part of fixing a team. Yet the Flyers do things like they did here.

Smart teams actually employ guys that can play at the bottom of their lineup that can take advantage of the soft usage they’re up against like the Flyers who usually have multiple charity cases. Smart teams actually realize there’s margins to be gained at the bottom of their lineup. They don’t just say “oh well it doesn’t matter”.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deep teams actually employ guys that can play at the bottom of their lineup that can take advantage of the soft usage they’re up against like the Flyers who usually have multiple charity cases. Smart teams actually realize there’s margins to be gained at the bottom of their lineup. They don’t just say “oh well it doesn’t matter”.
Corrected. If Foerster, Wisdom and Desnoyers emerge, and Laczynski and Allison stay healthy, Flyers will have a 4th line with skill.
All would end up playing in front of Deslauriers, Brown and MacEwen if healthy and NHL ready.

Lycksell is the wild card, but I think he'll stay in LHV all year, they probably see him more as suited to a top 9 role as an offense first forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't worry guys, Deslauriers won't even play.

Roster spots are always earned, not gifted.
With Torts, just check his history.
He'll bench anyone if they don't play right, including Couts (won't have to b/c that will never be an issue with him).

There is going to be one or two players with whom he will clash, either they'll get on board or they'll have a new address by next summer.

Johansen clashed and was traded for Seth Jones half way in Torts' first season in CBJ.
Dubinsky was fine until he was moved to the 3rd line to play behind Jenner (24) at 31, played one more year then out of the league.
But other than that, he had no malcontents until Laine. He clashed with Dubois, but Dubois still sings his praises and said his trade demands were due to the FO.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The bottom of the Flyers lineup last year bled a goal against almost every other game while giving little back (Thompson, MacEwen, Yandle, etc.). It wasn’t the only reason their team stunk but it played it’s part & in theory it’s the easier part of fixing a team. Yet the Flyers do things like they did here.

Smart teams actually employ guys that can play at the bottom of their lineup that can take advantage of the soft usage they’re up against like the Flyers who usually have multiple charity cases. Smart teams actually realize there’s margins to be gained at the bottom of their lineup. They don’t just say “oh well it doesn’t matter”.

Unfortunately, Fletcher doesn't think that's their role. He thinks last year's 4th line is the ideal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Corrected. If Foerster, Wisdom and Desnoyers emerge, and Laczynski and Allison stay healthy, Flyers will have a 4th line with skill.
All would end up playing in front of Deslauriers, Brown and MacEwen if healthy and NHL ready.

Lycksell is the wild card, but I think he'll stay in LHV all year, they probably see him more as suited to a top 9 role as an offense first forward.

Fletcher will never allow that many players into the bottom six. He thinks that's a veteran role. He cannot tolerate more than one, maybe two youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad