Waived: Nick Ritchie on Waivers (Cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Sorry but nobody is paying Campbell 6.5 per considering he has never played more than 30/31 games in any season. A fair deal would be 5x5.

Mikheyev isn’t coming back for 1.7, neither is Kase. Personally I’d like the TML to trade Mrazek and find somebody like Halak or Holtby to be the backup.

It will likely cost some draft capital or prospects (not high end) to move a few pieces.
I tend to go on the high side when projecting, I wanted to see how bad keeping Jack was gonna hurt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nick Ritchie can barely fit into the pants he bought two years ago, let alone an NHL roster. He just doesn't have the internal drive to be dedicated to his craft.

He really does look like a guy that's naturally chubby and probably has to work twice as hard as the average NHLer just to keep in shape.

Even now he's got that round face where you look at him and think one of his teammates was forced to bring along their chubby brother to play hockey with them.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Sorry but nobody is paying Campbell 6.5 per considering he has never played more than 30/31 games in any season. A fair deal would be 5x5.

Mikheyev isn’t coming back for 1.7, neither is Kase. Personally I’d like the TML to trade Mrazek and find somebody like Halak or Holtby to be the backup.

It will likely cost some draft capital or prospects (not high end) to move a few pieces.
I mean the leafs literally hear how they’ll be terrible because they can’t afford Player X and Y every year, yet somehow they figure it out every year. It’s almost like they have a plan

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So injury prone doesn't exist?
Sure it does. There are players who get injuries more than others. Take Kase for example, he is currently out of the line up. Anyway being one hit away from the end of a career is a fact for everyone.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Sure it does. There are players who get injuries more than others. Take Kase for example, he is currently out of the line up. Anyway being one hit away from the end of a career is a fact for everyone.
That's true. Lightning can strike anyone, but it mostly strikes people who are closer to the thunderstorm.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Pierre Engvall over Nick Ritchie is a bit puzzling.
Yeah, for me too, but I am a fan of Richtie's it is probably a million less on the cap and more scoring. RFA status in the summer. More likely he would get claimed.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I mean the leafs literally hear how they’ll be terrible because they can’t afford Player X and Y every year, yet somehow they figure it out every year. It’s almost like they have a plan

It's gotten the point where it almost comical. Every year we're told we won't be able to stay under the cap and yet we seem to manage fine.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
It's gotten the point where it almost comical. Every year we're told we won't be able to stay under the cap and yet we seem to manage fine.
Broken record at this point. Every year the mains pick a new Leaf that can't possibly be re-signed...until they are.

If the Leafs could trade Matt Martin's 2.5m with added term for a minor positive asset in Eamon McAdam (AHL goalie), they can get out of Ritchie's 2.5m for relatively cheap too.

Reactions: teddygmr

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
Don’t want Turris unless it is for a buy out purpose. There is no roster spot for Turris in Toronto anyway.
Only one year left at 1.65 compared to two years at 2.5 There are roster spots with the Marlies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think you’re right there and some of the calls might have been coming from inside the house (as in somewhere in the organization) but that’s hockey for you.

Bunting was a (super-fun) unknown based on analytics and Kampf was a defensive forward from a terrible defensive team. I’m a Devils fan who watched Kase go down like a sack of potatoes after not much of a collision and then heard how he only made it through ~6 minutes of a game 4 months later, so I thought Kase was a depressingly risky signing that wouldn’t work out.

So I get why a big strapping young forward with 15 goals/26 points in 56 games, and reported untapped potential, on the cheap, was a sort of acceptable “Hyman replacement”. And I just don’t know how this is a notable mistake in a world where Edmonton’s and Vancouver’s off-seasons exist. (As a neutral fan.)

Like I said, it wasn't a massive mistake. But was a mistake. And a predictable one. Anyone watching Ritchie would know he's not a Hyman replacement. The aforementioned Bunting is more similar.

Kampf had utility as what he was: a guy to play in defensive minutes. Kase has a long injury history, but when healthy, was a very good player. Ritchie's upside was basically, "maybe he'll score sometimes if he gets fortunate shooting luck". Those guys also clocked in much cheaper too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad