Confirmed Signing with Link: Nichushkin signs with CSKA(KHL) for 2 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
His rights could be taken by Las Vegas, right?

No. Rights aren't ED eligible. They'd have to trade for his rights.

I think dallas still needs to protect him. He wouldn't have been exempt for it.

If it's otherwise I need to see written proof.

If it makes him exempt then teams would have their ELC ending players sign in europe left and right to protect them.

Like my team buffalo could have had Girgensons sign a 1 yr deal with Riga in the KHL and then buffalo could stash him and not have to protect him.

I'm wondering the same thing - if someone finds the answers (or has found them already), it would be great if a mod could edit the OP to include that information.

Currently 3 yrs and 21 on july 1st 2016.

He would be a UFA on 1 July 2022 at 27. Had he stayed he should be a Ufa on 1 Jul 2020. If he comes back after 1 yr then it's 2021.

Dallas holds his rights until UFA unless they trade those rights.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You mean the collective of scouts and information they've provided led Nill to narrow down candidates and then forwarded it to the GM and they were drafted.

Do people understand how things work?

GM's have far more pull and ultimate veto power that some scout. GM's will draft who they think will help regardless of what the scouts say. Yes the GM's will take into consideration but that is about it.

Please enlighten us on the inner working of the Dallas Stars organization because you obviously seem to speculate an awful lot about us.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I actually like this for the Stars, Expansion Draft protection on his rights, means it opens another spot for them(dallas) overall. Gives Nichushkin a chance for more playing time and development. Then all we have to hope for is Ruff getting Fired, which maybe will happen in two years time (fingers Crossed)

Why wouldn't the Stars still have to protect his rights in the expansion draft?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Maybe I misread it, but I swear it says all rights to unsigned draft choices and prospects would not count towards the applicable protetion limits

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

Well when Nuke signed with CSKA today they gave him a full NMC so the rules surrounding the draft states 'Players who currently have no-movement clauses as a part of their contracts at the time of the Expansion Draft (and refuse to waive it) have to be protected by their respective franchise and will count towards the team’s protected list.". So the question is are the rules based on current active NHL players or players like Nuke who go to another league and get a NMC while technically still being owned by Dallas.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gulutzan Sure
Crawford Yes
Tippet, Hell ****ing No

Debateable between Ruff and Tippet imho . Can't say i miss the snooze hockey that at times was played under Tippet and he was so much worse than Ruff ever was on rookies. Val would've bolted much faster with how Tippet typically handled rookies and young players in general.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This could be good for his development, he clearly needs a level lower than NHL.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
This could be good for his development, he clearly needs a level lower than NHL.

This is correct. Nuke even stated when he was drafted he would not play in the AHL so it was NHL or back to Russia. Now that the NHL has not worked out yet the only obvious recourse is back to Russia.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
To be fair to Val the NHL or bust came from his KHL team . He wouldn't have been allowed to leave to play in the AHL .

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
There was always an uneasy feeling that this could happen when Val used this same leverage after he was drafted to say "it's NHL or I'm staying in Russia." I have no reason to doubt the reports he gave to Russian media each of the two times he did complaining about Ruff and his ice time. He didn't play well enough to warrant his complaints. Hopefully his game grows with CSKA. He seems to be all the tools (except a shot), no tool box type of player. He's big and fast, but doesn't use either aspect to his advantage particularly well. Hopefully these two years will help him put it all together.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I know that's what we were told, but I highly doubt this didn't come from Val and his agent.

Well it was reported that way during the draft, before Dallas or any team had taken him, so it's unlikely that Traktor terminated his contract without the condition of being in the NHL.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
There was always an uneasy feeling that this could happen when Val used this same leverage after he was drafted to say "it's NHL or I'm staying in Russia." I have no reason to doubt the reports he gave to Russian media each of the two times he did complaining about Ruff and his ice time. He didn't play well enough to warrant his complaints. Hopefully his game grows with CSKA. He seems to be all the tools (except a shot), no tool box type of player. He's big and fast, but doesn't use either aspect to his advantage particularly well. Hopefully these two years will help him put it all together.

hes more likely to never play a game again with Dallas either bcuz Nuke really didnt like his exp or Dallas taking this the wrong way.
He will prob sign an extension with that KHL team and when or if he wants to come back, he will be a UFA.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
hes more likely to never play a game again with Dallas either bcuz Nuke really didnt like his exp or Dallas taking this the wrong way.
He will prob sign an extension with that KHL team and when or if he wants to come back, he will be a UFA.

How again will he be an UFA when he comes back?

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I'd never draft a Russian in the first round. I'll be happy picking him up in FA for free a la Panarin whenever that happens.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

All we have heard from Val is that he would like to eventually return to Dallas in two years, and rumors of the Ruff thing, who knows if they are true.

From Nill all we have heard is that they had an offer for Val, rumored to be just one year, and that they would not budge from it, regardless of what was happening in the KHL. And that they hoped to get a more mature player when he returns. Lots of people have speculated that the more mature part was a burn by Nill, but honestly it seems sort of out of character for Nill to do that, so with out hearing his tone, I'm taking it as a more neutral statement. So both parties have said basically said they are hoping for a return to Dallas. Losing almost a full season really set back his development, at the beginning of the season he looked just off, probably didnt help that Ruff insisted on trying him at left wing during this time.

Imagine missing almost a full year of playing competitive hockey, then trying to come back and play on your off side, all while trying to implement a new shot (you could tell he was trying to elevate the puck more last season, but his accuracy just isn't there yet).

I'm hoping there isn't any bad blood between the two, Nill seems too much of a professional for their to be any on his end. As for Nuke, I would take any reports out of Russia with a grain of salt.

I think he needs at least another year to really get his game back on track, and regardless of whether he would go or cant go to the AHL, it cant happen now, he wouldn't have passed through waivers, so this is really the only option. The team he signed with is known for being a good defensive club, so hopefully he can work on that and his shot while over there. Even if Ruff is still here, if Nukes defensive game has improved he will likely be given more leeway. I also like that his contract has an opt out after the first year. With the Hudler signing and the young guys that will require waivers to be sent down to the AHL, if Nuke struggled again to start the season, he could have very well been given the Oleksiak and Nemeth treatment and found himself on the bench and lost another year of development time.

Ruff can be a good coach and still handle the teams youth poorly. He develops his opinions on a player and doesn't seem to change them. Take Jokipakka, he liked him in training camp and even though he was struggling took forever to give Nemeth or Oleksiak a chance last year. Sitting in the press box most of last season definitely wasnt helping either of those guys develop, and then when they did play it was usually after a long lay off, and even if they played well it was back to the press box. That is the most maddening thing about Ruff, you could have a great game then find your self scratched or given few minutes the next game. Some players respond positively to that, but I'm guessing it really frustrates others. Especially in a supposed meritocracy.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
then trying to come back and play on your off side

Val is a RW so he has not been expected to play his off-side. The confusion may come from him being a left shot however he's Russian and Russian wingers shoot opposite to their side(see also: Ovechkin, Kucherov, Tarasenko, etc).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Well when Nuke signed with CSKA today they gave him a full NMC so the rules surrounding the draft states 'Players who currently have no-movement clauses as a part of their contracts at the time of the Expansion Draft (and refuse to waive it) have to be protected by their respective franchise and will count towards the team’s protected list.". So the question is are the rules based on current active NHL players or players like Nuke who go to another league and get a NMC while technically still being owned by Dallas.

But what does his KHL NMC have to do with the Stars. The Stars can still trade his rights tomorrow if they wanted.

Ducksgo*

To be fair to Val the NHL or bust came from his KHL team . He wouldn't have been allowed to leave to play in the AHL .

See this is why it's a consequence of drafting Russian players. You don't have control over them on the grooming. Outside of Caps I'm really surprised anyone would take on the risk of drafting them and hoping to get them into your system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad