Confirmed Signing with Link: Nichushkin signs with CSKA(KHL) for 2 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
If/when he comes back to the NHL... how does his "rights" work?

I'm wondering the same thing - if someone finds the answers (or has found them already), it would be great if a mod could edit the OP to include that information.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
If/when he comes back to the NHL... how does his "rights" work?

Dallas holds his rights until he's UFA eligible or they can trade them to another NHL team. 6 years at most he's Dallas owned.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This is why most GM's won't draft a Russian with a 1st rounder anymore. The Russian factor as they call it.

The Russian factor does not exist for a team like Washington. One of the perks of having the best Russian player in the world who was the idol of many of these Russian prospects growing up. Washington has traditionally been a welcoming place for Russian players. We've had Semin, Fedorov, Kozlov and Gonchar in the past.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think the only tool here is Nichushkin. Another Russian high tailing it back to Russia. The only way I pick a Russian in the draft would be third round and higher.

Do you mean lower because he was 10th over all.

Should we be careful with Canadians like giordano and ROR?

Honestly this might be the best move for the stars.

2 years of guaranteed top 6 time with power play.

If he comes back and is a better player this is great for Dallas.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
This is why most GM's won't draft a Russian with a 1st rounder anymore. The Russian factor as they call it.

Entirely dependent on the player and organization. A counterargument can be made that Nail Yakupov is largely in the same sort of rut as Nuke and is not threatening this type of move at all.

It also didn't stop Sergachev from being drafted top 10 this year as well as Provorov, Gurianov, Svechnikov, and Samsonov all being taken in the 2015 first.

You can also bet Kostin and Popugayev both going in the first next year most likely.

If the player is good enough, someone will bite. Sure, theres probably a few who won't, but that may very well end up being their loss, but its hardly "most GMs".

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
why did he cry to the russian press about unfair treatment by ruff the club? i'm sure nuke had pretty good reasons to bail out. the club was aware of them and didn't care much, they pretty much gave up on him when they signed hudler. i think him signing with the khl club is win-win for all concerned

This is bordering on insane.

Why did he cry to the press? Because he thought he deserved more than he was getting. Truth is he was actually given more than he earned. His interview midseason to the Russian media tells all.

Honestly, he has a lot of maturing to do. He puts in token effort on D and thinks he deserves a big pat on the back. His offensive game is unrefined in some ways and wholly lacking in others.

Stars will hold onto his rights. If he ever matures and improves markedly as a hockey player he may end up back in the league. Smart to keep his rights now and let him try to come back through Dallas if he ever wants to.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You have to think Nill probably had a lot of calls asking if Nichushkin was available for trade, but Nill held out in a game of chicken where he lost.

Or maybe no other team was all that interested in Nichushkin and his demands for premium ice time. For all we know, Nill called around and heard "no thanks" over and over.

The Russian factor does not exist for a team like Washington. One of the perks of having the best Russian player in the world who was the idol of many of these Russian prospects growing up. Washington has traditionally been a welcoming place for Russian players. We've had Semin, Fedorov, Kozlov and Gonchar in the past.

Nill is also a guy who has spent a career drafting and developing Russian players.

I think the only tool here is Nichushkin. Another Russian high tailing it back to Russia. The only way I pick a Russian in the draft would be third round and higher.

This attitude is unfortunate. It's also going to cost good Russian players money by being passed over in the draft. There are plenty of Russian players any team would love to have. It sucks those GOP's players are hurt by the actions of a few.

Good move for Nichushkin...
Ruff is a tool. A coach, who can't find a place for a talented player is a bad coach.

Talented? Have you seen him shoot the puck? He spent a whole season as Spezza's winger, and couldn't get to double digits in goals.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I like the good riddance and go home comments.

This from people that would whine up and down about his value in a trade and his potential and all of that but don't acknowledge that he got ****ed around by Ruff and the Management. You guys have a nice little Shero/Bylsma situation going on there, good luck dealing with that in the aftermath when things are too late and the wrong people are fired when the damage is done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You have to think Nill probably had a lot of calls asking if Nichushkin was available for trade, but Nill held out in a game of chicken where he lost.

Why make a move and trade Nuke for scraps when Nuke could of signed back in Russia (like he did) then if someone wants him assuming he produces in Russia we could get even more for him. Seems like a smart move to me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And to think I was a little pissed at first when Bettman announced the Devils traded their pick for Schneider instead of drafting Nuke. What a dumbass I was.

Don't feel bad....there were some Canuck fans who twisted themselves into pretzels when they drafted Horvat instead of this guy...whew!

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
IIRC Nill drafted some Russians is Detroit that turned out to be decent. :laugh:

You mean the collective of scouts and information they've provided led Nill to narrow down candidates and then forwarded it to the GM and they were drafted.

Do people understand how things work?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He reportedly wanted more than Nill was offering and wasn't willing to except a one year deal to prove he was worth more. As easy as it is to call him a "baby" or call him out for not earning a paycheck, he's an athlete who's going home for what's likely millions more than he would have gotten in Dallas it's hard to say he's a horrible person in that regard.

I agree which is legitimately why the Russian factor is a factor.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

and now we see why he dropped in the draft... i know fans of russian prospects tell us every year that this is unfounded prejudice but over the past 10 years or so, the rate of highly drafted russians either complete busting... or taking their puck and running home... has to be almost 50%

no doubt ovechkin, malkin have been great... and taresenko overcame this curse and became a steal... but now nichushkin becomes the latest cautionary tale and how long until we see nail yahupov follow suit?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I actually like this for the Stars, Expansion Draft protection on his rights, means it opens another spot for them(dallas) overall. Gives Nichushkin a chance for more playing time and development. Then all we have to hope for is Ruff getting Fired, which maybe will happen in two years time (fingers Crossed)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I wouldn't bet on Ruff getting fired anytime soon. Chances are better of him getting an contract extension .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad