Confirmed Signing with Link: Nichushkin signs with CSKA(KHL) for 2 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
and people question Yakupov's attitude..yet through all the **** he's still here
He's still in Edmonton because nobody in the KHL offered him more when he was an RFA and no NHL GM would give much in a trade because of the "Russian factor" that could happen next year when he's a FA again.

Nichushkin bolting back to the KHL will probably end any draft picks of Russians in the top 10 or so for quite some time.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He's still in Edmonton because nobody in the KHL offered him more when he was an RFA and no NHL GM would give much in a trade because of the "Russian factor" that could happen next year when he's a FA again.

Nichushkin bolting back to the KHL will probably end any draft picks of Russians in the top 10 or so for quite some time.

Doubtful. I feel this way yes...But most clubs won't.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The thing I take out of this is that his interview with Russian media this past year, that was damning in a number of ways, has got to be taken at face value. The number of fellow Stars fans who downplayed and disregarded it were flat out wrong.

Once I read the fully translated text by a Russian HF member it made me look at Nichushkin much differently. It was so much the stereotypically entitled attitude that it was almost comical.

Then there was the story from the season prior where he had run to a Russian media member to complain about how unhappy he was. Because that article didn't have any direct quotes, it was easy for the wishful thinkers to deny it was true.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Speaking of draft picks in the top 10(or top 12 in this case), bet Dallas is kicking themselves for passing on Barzal or Connor

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I think most posters here in their chosen professions, if having to choose between (a) making a good wage close to home with an employer that values you or (b) making less money 3000miles away for an employer that sees you as just a guy....would easily choose the former, yet we don't hate on them like we do on Russian hockey players.

That said, drafting Russians in the top 10 is probably generally over, as NHL owners can't use and abuse them like the North American kids with them having a viable option at home. The idea they "just can't hack it" is Cherry-esque/Trump-esque patriotism. If Tanner Glass can find work, then Nuke could have done alright :sarcasm:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Wanna bet?

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
You do realize the Reason he's leaving is because of Ruff, right?
Had Vancouver drafted him, I don't think it would have been a problem.
Sure he would have played under Torts, guy would have bolted back to the KHL after a week. Most coaches in the NHL would have done the same as Ruff, guys like Babcock, Hitchcock, Sutter are bigger hard ***** and would have given him the heavy dose of the pine.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
I hope it will be good for his development.
Let's see, if he struggled in NA were because of bad coaches or because of himself.
KHL is an easier league, which is better for a young player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pretty sure Dallas will still have to protect him or leave him eligible to be taken in the expansion draft. He's not going to be exempt just because he is an RFA.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
What a horrible person for doing this to the stars but i think whoever in russia tricked him to do this is the real culprit. Feel for Dallas and there fans if they knew he would be such a rat they obvi would of taken someone like Domi :rant:
Yeah, from what the Stars said, the exit interview following the season was fine. He apparently went home, and then the KHL GM's started getting in to his head.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My God CSKA is stacked big time.

You're likely confused with SKA

CSKA has less top end talent than SKA, but they are the hottest team in the league right now. I thought that losing Radulov and Zaitsev would set them back quite a bit but it didn't. They have great team chemistry, a solid coach (Kvartalnov) and a goaltender who has the potential to be the best Russian net minder in the future (Sorokin). Now they have Nichushkin, adding to their depth on the wings.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Well I'm sure Stars fans are disappointed this happened but he did say in his draft year if he didn't make the nhl he would go to the khl so given how much he struggled with consistency it doesn't surprise me. Maybe if he comes back in 2 years he might be a bit more of a consistent player and a little more open to playing the way he needs to play to be successful at the nhl level.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
I think it is funny people saying no Russian will be picked in the top 10 again because of this. It is all about talent, and when, not if the next Russian super star like Ovechkin or Malkin shows up on the draft board, teams will be praying they get the first lottery ball and can select him. I would not be surprised at all to see a team out of the playoff have a fire sale at the trade deadline (ala the caps) hoping to getting the best odds of selecting said Russian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad