Confirmed Signing with Link: Nichushkin signs with CSKA(KHL) for 2 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me, or do the Russians who come over and first play in the major junior leagues or even in college hockey, tend to survive and thrive as NHL players....whereas the guys who get drafted out of the KHL or the Russian junior leagues tend to head back at the first sign of adversity....unfortunately for the Stars, Denis Guryanov is another guy who's never played in NA.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Is it just me, or do the Russians who come over and first play in the major junior leagues or even in college hockey, tend to survive and thrive as NHL players....whereas the guys who get drafted out of the KHL or the Russian junior leagues tend to head back at the first sign of adversity....unfortunately for the Stars, Denis Guryanov is another guy who's never played in NA.

Two things. One, I think your assessment is wrong. Two, Gurianov is playing in the AHL this year and has said all the right things about working his way up, etc.

If anything, Nichushkin's decision to go back may make the Stars make Gurianov go that extra distance to prove he is NHL ready when the time comes.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah crazy that a Russian kid wants to play in Russia in his own culture, speaking his own language being around his family. Maybe if he got to play in a real hockey city. I know plenty of people in North America who wouldn't live in Dallas me included.

Ah the "Non-traditional hockey market" jab. So they handful of people you know in the US wouldn't live in Texas? We are better off without them.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I know plenty of people in North America who wouldn't live in Dallas me included.

Cool. We don't want you here anyways. I'll keep enjoying the benefits of living and working in a top 5 market with no state income tax.

There isn't a single source out there that suggests anything about Val not wanting to live in Dallas.

Last edited:

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Until recently they've been fairly popular here in detroit as well. Indeed part of the reason we picked up Marchenko in the 7th is because it was common knowledge he was a wings fan. We haven't drafted that many Russians, but most who have played for the wings have left on good terms, bar Fedorov, and after the preceding 14 years, any complaints would be fairly churlish.

The Russian factor is far more to do with stylistic incompability of many skilled Russians fitting into NHL systems led snooze hockey, which for all its effectiveness is dull and stymies creativity. Russian coached players tend to trained in a different way, that means some struggle to adapt. And under those circumstances, being a sheltered PP guy averaging 12-15 mins a night and getting paid $1-2m for any number of coaches you might not like, or going home to get paid more money to play more in a system that suits you better is not that surprising a choice.

Also lets face it (not saying it applies in this case) - lots of people coaching in the NHL hold the same insane 1960s Don Cherry fed pseudo Cold-War ideals that a few have exhibited in this thread. But then in Hockey all kinds of casual racism still lingers...

Russia is not a race. Nor is the KHL.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Cool. We don't want you here anyways. I'll keep enjoying the benefits of living and working in a top 5 market with no state income tax.

There isn't a single source out there that suggests anything about Val not wanting to live in Dallas.

I got stranded at the airport in Dallas due to a flight cancellation, 28 hours. Actually had one of the best nights of my life during that layover, went downtown during the series with the wild in the playoffs last year. So fun

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
He reportedly wanted more than Nill was offering and wasn't willing to except a one year deal to prove he was worth more. As easy as it is to call him a "baby" or call him out for not earning a paycheck, he's an athlete who's going home for what's likely millions more than he would have gotten in Dallas it's hard to say he's a horrible person in that regard.

yup. Most fans (inc the vast majority of posters here) are so wrapped up in their team succeeding that they can't see anything through another person's eyes. Childish

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Hey guys another Russian forward goes back to Russia since he is unhappy with something.

In other news, water is wet.

And, in entirely unrelated news, a poster on hf makes a dumb and xenophobic comment

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
How is it less bad?

It's still hating on someone based on something they born into.

I think they're both equally bad.

Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

freedom-huddle_o_3830969.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Russia is not a race. Nor is the KHL.

That person may not be referencing Russians with that comment.

There's no patriotism involved in insulting someone while using his country of origin as a means to slam the guy. Besides that, there isn't much evidence to suggest that your feelings are backed up with anything substantial but that's not a conversation for this thread obviously. lol

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
That person may not be referencing Russians with that comment.

There's no patriotism involved in insulting someone while using his country of origin as a means to slam the guy. Besides that, there isn't much evidence to suggest that your feelings are backed up with anything substantial but that's not a conversation for this thread obviously. lol

It was a Kenny Powers quote lol.

member 147413

About Nichuskin, I don't particularly care, if he wasn't happy here then he went to play back home in a less competitive environment than the choice is all his.

member 147413

And, in entirely unrelated news, a poster on hf makes a dumb and xenophobic comment

How is his comment Xenophobic?

A lot of Russian players have come to the NHL only to not be content with it here and go back to Russia... I fail to see any xenophobia in that statement

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maybe he'll get his game back, come back after that.

Burmi did, although he wasn't anymore effective and it took a coaching change for him to do it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How is it less bad?

It's still hating on someone based on something they born into.

I think they're both equally bad.

the short answer is that racism assumes difference on a genetic level (assumes it wrongly, obviously, because that belief is completely scientifically baseless).

xenophobia, which can include racism, assumes difference based on a wider range of factors. i think under these definitions, it should be clear why racism, as a specific form of xenophobia, is worse. but if it isn't, i am going to guess that you have never lived somewhere where you are an ethnic minority.

and of course when i say difference you can take that to mean a hierarchy of superiority/inferiority.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
the short answer is that racism assumes difference on a genetic level (assumes it wrongly, obviously, because that belief is completely scientifically baseless).

xenophobia, which can include racism, assumes difference based on a wider range of factors. i think under these definitions, it should be clear why racism, as a specific form of xenophobia, is worse. but if it isn't, i am going to guess that you have never lived somewhere where you are an ethnic minority.

and of course when i say difference you can take that to mean a hierarchy of superiority/inferiority.

This is getting so far off topic but your rationale for racism being worse than xenophobia is puzzling to say the least.

In any case, I haven't seen much of anything in this thread to even be talking about it.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Nichushkin is overrated, he is got one move pivoting towards goal, everyone knows it, he tried to pull it off today for cska in a loosing SO effort in Helsinki (yes - no success in the KHL with that move either). He had that move playing for U17 in the challenge cup in canada for team Russia, it's 5 years later and he has the same 1 move. He could be a decent 3rd liner for CSKA, I hope. His early success was attributed to his size advantage over the peers and he never build up on that advantage.
As for Gurianov - he is also over-rated, he clearly couldn't compete in the KHL last year, and looked weak for the NT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad