Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The DP rightfully unleashes on the Avs:

There’s more to being a champion than hoisting the Stanley Cup. The Avs might be good at hockey, but as an organization, they’re failing at life.

It’s embarrassing. The Avs are killing themselves with silence.

Call it the arrogance of a hockey club that operates by its own rules.

Call it gross insensitivity so common in sports for a woman caught up in a team controversy.

Call it an indicator of a champion that has lost its sense of purpose.

But above all, call it wrong, wrong, wrong.

The Avs have a credibility problem. By stubbornly refusing to say whether Nichushkin broke team rules or took leave at the most crucial juncture of the season by his own choice, the defending champs have allowed an unfortunate situation to snowball into ugly and reckless speculation about everything from substance abuse to human trafficking.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

There’s more to being a champion than hoisting the Stanley Cup. The Avs might be good at hockey, but as an organization, they’re failing at life.

Call it gross insensitivity so common in sports for a woman caught up in a team controversy.

The Avs have a credibility problem. By stubbornly refusing to say whether Nichushkin broke team rules or took leave at the most crucial juncture of the season by his own choice, the defending champs have allowed an unfortunate situation to snowball into ugly and reckless speculation about everything from substance abuse to human trafficking.

Does Kiz really think they can say much more? Does he know about privacy laws or the idea of innocent until proven guilty? People can conclude what they want from the facts and legal releases out there, the organization is respecting that.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Lol mark kizla ... sounds like a crybaby that is sad because he's not getting the story on his timetable.

f***in' dumbass... Yeah, I'm sure he's so much smarter than the team of lawyers employed by the team who are very likely advising them in this situation.

0BGYN Kenobi

Dec 11, 2022
the defending champs have allowed an unfortunate situation to snowball into ugly and reckless speculation about everything from substance abuse to human trafficking.
"ugly and reckless speculation that I will now encourage and perpetuate"

This isn't even journalism, its a long-form hissy fit editorial. It's astounding that the Denver Post even bothered publishing it. Avalanche journalism deserves better than this garbage

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I'll wait for more info but this kind of behavior is what leads to contracts being terminated. And for a team that knows they have cap issues...

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
An unintended lens into one of the things wrong with modern "journalism."

If Kiszla truly was against those engaging in reckless speculation and rumour mongering, he'd begin with a look in the mirror.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the situation was as rosy as you paint it then why no statement that Nuke is going into rehab?

I don't think I painted a very rosy picture at all, especially in follow up posts, but it's pretty obvious they don't want to get into the details while they're still playing hockey.

Personally I don't see why we need to know Val went to rehab anyway, if that's where he is. If they want to tell us fine. If they don't that's fine too. Why is everyone so desperate to know?

The PR approach is different here because you almsot never see this stuff happen in the playoffs. And Val doesn't have the kind of attention someone like Dennis Rodman had.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

God I f***ing HATE Kiz but…he’s right for once.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kiszla is not a journalist he's an agitator, a clown show, a purveyor of dreck.

Just the typical click bait hyperbole from Kiszla. Probably wasn't following the Avs at all, and then heard there was something juicy he could butt his nose into and draw attention to himself with a hot take like always.

You can tell, because he needed to use a strawman to make the Avs sound worse by claiming "The Avs insist there's nothing to see here."

Unless I missed it, nobody said anything like that. Just Bednar saying he doesn't have a comment. While they're in the middle of a playoff run. And to think they make people pay to read that drivel?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
God, Kiszla has that hack sport-writing style down. I swear they taught that to every C average kid at J school from the 80s on.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Kiszla is not a journalist he's an agitator, a clown show, a purveyor of dreck.
Just a reminder, he was the only local journalist on the Steve Moore is a goon train until Bertuzzi assaulted him and he skittered off like the roach he is.

I hate that the Post would let him comment on a serious issue since I don't believe there is an authentic bone in his body and is only using the situation to get attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: katfude

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
One question I haven't seen addressed.... Maybe I missed it....

Do the Avs have their players share a room when on the road?

I know most teams pair two regular "roomie" teammates when they are on the road. All season long. The stories about incompatible sleeping, TV and bathroom habits are usually hilarious.

All one has to do is ask the team who is paired with whom and we'll easily find out if this is a one man incident or not.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don't think I painted a very rosy picture at all, especially in follow up posts, but it's pretty obvious they don't want to get into the details while they're still playing hockey.

Personally I don't see why we need to know Val went to rehab anyway, if that's where he is. If they want to tell us fine. If they don't that's fine too. Why is everyone so desperate to know?

The PR approach is different here because you almsot never see this stuff happen in the playoffs. And Val doesn't have the kind of attention someone like Dennis Rodman had.
If it's rehab it would put an end to the media circus and I'm pretty sure we would know by now. Now we are left to speculate that it is something worse, maybe much worse.

Live look at the Avs:
D7531623-BB21-407D-9B8A-3AD2A7788EAD.jpeg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll wait for more info but this kind of behavior is what leads to contracts being terminated. And for a team that knows they have cap issues...
I keep seeing people mention this like we won't need a guy like Nichushkin. This isn't Mike Richards. This is one of the best two way power forwards in hockey under the age of 30. He would be a massive loss.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I keep seeing people mention this like we won't need a guy like Nichushkin. This isn't Mike Richards. This is one of the best two way power forwards in hockey under the age of 30. He would be a massive loss.
This team relies a lot on guys like Nuke and Landy in this system. If both were to be gone long term we either have to go find replacements (who likely will not be cheaper) or change the system. No matter what this team would be saddled with bad contracts when the core ages and they would have to rebuild. Not sure making the team worse during what’s left of the window is a great plan

Reactions: katfude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad