Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I'm just glad to know that his mind was where it needed to be for the playoffs. I have a feeling he's not the only Avs player.

Just be glad they didn't go to Newhook's room:

old_school.jpg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sakic didn't really like to meet the press either. That's the Lacroix heritage IMO.
Yeah, and I’ve always hated that. Lacroix’s demand of Mafia-level secrecy around the organization actually hurt them long term because he prized loyalty over actual competence in a lot of cases. We got a nice breath of fresh air under Roy and after he left, slam! Back to the old times.

Reactions: Balthazar

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Theo Fluery was so messed up on cocaine and hookers that the NYR used to pay someone to follow him around and make sure he didn't get in too much trouble lol he would drop thousands nightly at strip clubs and regularly played high on coke

And who was buddies with Theo since junior and played on multiple teams with him? Joe Sakic.

I know some are upset there's not more clarity in this situation, but I personally don't care. It doesn't help anyone and it's not like an injury situation they're leaving everyone in the dark with.

The takeaway for me here is that Joe is likely showing once again his class and putting Val's health and well being ahead of sport, when they could use him now more than ever.

Most if not every other team in the league would have swept this under the rug, and Val would still be playing, with us having no idea what happened. Val going missing is what tipped everyone off.

Reactions: ABasin and Azrael89

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Rule number one when it comes to PR and, frankly, legal testimony: If you don't know anything, don't say anything.

I'd bet my salary on McSakic not knowing what the hell is going on with 100% certainty. They have a Russian player involved in . . . something really weird with a female Russian hook- national. And lots of booze. Nuke blows town in the dead of night. He ain't talking. As I said below, the whole Russian thing is an element and a layer that maybe nobody except for Nuke will really understand.

Nuke's lawyer/agent no doubt has to told the Avalanche to not say anything or his client may have a claim. If I'm the Avs lawyer I tell them to keeps their yaps shut and no comment. When Val is ready to talk, let him do it. Because only he - and his guest - know what the hell happened. And given her state, she may not know either.

There's no sense in McSakic holding a presser to only respond with "it's private and we have nothing to say". Because . . . it's private and they can't say anything. Bednar has to appear because he's got a game to coach and talking to the media is part of his job. But he can only talk about hockey.

THANK YOU!!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Rule number one when it comes to PR and, frankly, legal testimony: If you don't know anything, don't say anything.

I'd bet my salary on McSakic not knowing what the hell is going on with 100% certainty. They have a Russian player involved in . . . something really weird with a female Russian hook- national. And lots of booze. Nuke blows town in the dead of night. He ain't talking. As I said below, the whole Russian thing is an element and a layer that maybe nobody except for Nuke will really understand.

Nuke's lawyer/agent no doubt has to told the Avalanche to not say anything or his client may have a claim. If I'm the Avs lawyer I tell them to keeps their yaps shut and no comment. When Val is ready to talk, let him do it. Because only he - and his guest - know what the hell happened. And given her state, she may not know either.

There's no sense in McSakic holding a presser to only respond with "it's private and we have nothing to say". Because . . . it's private and they can't say anything. Bednar has to appear because he's got a game to coach and talking to the media is part of his job. But he can only talk about hockey.

That rule is a good one, but don't tell me they didn't know "anything." They most certainly did, all they had to do was talk to the employee who found her and the team doctor who got smacked in the face.

And yes, even if it's a bunch of "No comments" you hold a goddamned presser. You don't just leave your head coach, who has another job to do, to be your mouthpiece.

Also, Mark Gandler is a lying sack of shit. I wouldn't trust him farther than I could throw his client.

Reactions: Metallo

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Unless Nuke was trying to BUY A HUMAN, I still don't see how this is such a big story.

If she's really 28, then who frikkin' cares ? Didn't robert kraft go to the Philippines and try to do something much more ominous but since it was him and he has a gazibillion dollars, nobody cared ??

I guess I don't get it. To me it seems like prostitution is "illegal" in the same way that marijuana was illegal for so long until they finally decided it was ok.

Reactions: McMetal and ABasin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Legal testimony yeah... PR.. no. PR you need to know the story and be ahead of it first and foremost. You are never supposed to let the media take control. Be candid without saying anything that could get you in legal hot water. Be proactive. Build trust. Hunkering down with no comment is about the worst version of crisis management you can do.

I've been through a number of PR crisis in my business life and worked with a lot of major consulting firms on it. Hunkering down takes the organization out of control of the situation and puts reporters (and social media) in control.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Unless Nuke was trying to BUY A HUMAN, I still don't see how this is such a big story.

If she's really 28, then who frikkin' cares ? Didn't robert kraft go to the Philippines and try to do something much more ominous but since it was him and he has a gazibillion dollars, nobody cared ??

I guess I don't get it. To me it seems like prostitution is "illegal" in the same way that marijuana was illegal for so long until they finally decided it was ok.
It is a big story because Nuke isn't playing. This was just the known event that triggered it.

Reactions: WATTAGE4451

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure why anyone thought the Avs were going to get into the details of this during their playoff run. That was never ever going to happen.

Avs are handling this exactly like other teams would, they're just better at keeping a lid on things. Other teams would try to keep it quiet, but the details would leak out.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm not sure why anyone thought the Avs were going to get into the details of this during their playoff run. That was never ever going to happen.

Avs are handling this exactly like other teams would, they're just better at keeping a lid on things. Other teams would try to keep it quiet, but the details would leak out.
Other teams would publicly acknowledge.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah, and I’ve always hated that. Lacroix’s demand of Mafia-level secrecy around the organization actually hurt them long term because he prized loyalty over actual competence in a lot of cases. We got a nice breath of fresh air under Roy and after he left, slam! Back to the old times.

I actually liked how Bednar handled it today. 'It's personal, so I'm not talking about it."

I don't agree that the organization owes us as fans anything more than that.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Go Meghan. She keeps digging, that's what good journalists do.

I like when journalists dig into stories that matter. I'm just not sure there's an upside to doing so here.

That passport quote from the Post is the kind of thing that could get someone killed. If she's here without family, friends, or passport, like is often the case in these situations, and her handlers know she's talking to the cops about them, she could disappear real easily, and nobody would know. That's how they often handle these situations.

I don't see why we need to risk that just to know the salacious details.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Other teams would publicly acknowledge.

When they were forced to after all the details came out. I'm not sure they'd do it during a playoff run though. Maybe after, which the Avs may still do.

Doesn't bother me that the Avs aren't acknowledging it. Pretty clear what's going on, even if some of the exact details are different than it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad