Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bednar having to repeatedly answer the same questions because he can’t comment while trying to have his team ready to play also BS. This is where management should probably be the ones addressing the situation.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I would also like to receive some answers, but I understand if the team is waiting on some formal investagation by the Seattle PD or something. Yes, there are no charges against anyone at this point, doesn't mean it isn't a shady situation with the police investigating.

Yet another failure on MacFarland's part.
Let's just get this straight, MacFarland doesn't take a dump at the bathroom without Sakic being involved. This BTW goes to all of the critique for the TDL fiasco as well. Sakic didn't make the decisions alone when he was the GM and MacF was the AGM, and MacF sure as hell doesn't make decisions without Sakic right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Let's just get this straight, MacFarland doesn't take a dump at the bathroom without Sakic being involved. This BTW goes to all of the critique for the TDL fiasco as well. Sakic didn't make the decisions alone when he was the GM and MacF was the AGM, and MacF sure as hell doesn't make decisions without Sakic right now.
MacFarland is the most prominent figurehead for the team as far as I'm concerned above the coach. Sakic is president, yes, so he's not absolved of blame here. But after the TDL it was MacFarland giving the press conference. It should be MacFarland answering questions, too. Not Bednar.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
It's absolutely an organisational problem. You can't solely blame MacFarland for this.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
MacFarland is the most prominent figurehead for the team as far as I'm concerned above the coach. Sakic is president, yes, so he's not absolved of blame here. But after the TDL it was MacFarland giving the press conference. It should be MacFarland answering questions, too. Not Bednar.
Oh agreed on this one.

Frankly, even saying "We are still conducting our own investigation and will make a statement once we are done" would be better than nothing really. It doesn't really provide any additional info to the current "personal reasons", but would still be a step forward IMO. You have to react to reports from the media, and not let it dwell.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I would also like to receive some answers, but I understand if the team is waiting on some formal investagation by the Seattle PD or something. Yes, there are no charges against anyone at this point, doesn't mean it isn't a shady situation with the police investigating.

McFarland and Sakic don't take a dump son without a plan.

thompsonoctober.jpg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
None of us know what the setup is for sure. Sakic likely plays a significant role but I don't believe he's involved in day-to-day operations anymore. I don't believe this is a glorified puppet position like what we believed Giguere and, to a lesser extent, Greg from Accounting had.

That said, there needs to be SOMEONE other than Bednar answering questions, whether it's MacFarland, Sakic, or Jean goddamned Martineau. They have PR people, and those people need to do their f***ing jobs for once.

Incidentally I'm not familiar with Parshin's thing. Was there an incident or something?

Reactions: LOFIN

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Nichushkin’s agent, Mark Gandler, denied his client’s involvement in a text message to The Athletic.

“No one was found in Val’s room,” he said. “These events have nothing to do with Val.”

Nichushkin has been away from the Avalanche since Saturday for what the team has called “personal reasons.” Gandler echoed that statement and declined to answer if it was Nichushkin or the Avalanche’s decision for him to be away from the team.

An Avalanche spokesperson did not provide a comment on the incident report and said that president of hockey operations Joe Sakic and general manager Chris MacFarland would not address the media Friday morning. The NHL Players Association also did not have a comment at this time.

Ceremony

Jun 8, 2012
Incidentally I'm not familiar with Parshin's thing. Was there an incident or something?
No we just drafted him and nothing happened. Then his profile stayed on the official site for years because of some weird quirk about how long we had his rights for.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
It will be interesting how the press conference goes today. Undoubtedly, there will be a heavy focus on this... especially to Bednar.

He will answer it the same way as he already has. Val is away for personal reasons, not disciplinary. He doesn't know anything about the reports in the papers. Doesn't know when he will return.

Perhaps the team sends out a press release stating the same thing, and they won't discuss it any further. That would be an easy way to get out of answering any questions about it.

Reactions: Azrael89

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017

I honestly don’t think Bednar should be commenting on the matter. If it’s legal, he can’t, if it’s just Val having issues with drugs/alcohol he will eventually enter the Substance abuse program, and if it’s just about Val having to deal with his fiancé finding about an affair then that’s not Bednar’s business after Val has been excused from the team.

That’s embarrassing from Sakic and Macfarland…
What do you want them to say though?

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What do you want them to say though?
The org has to address the situation at some point. It’s a total frenzy league wide and in the media. They don’t need to give us the all the details, but the situation needs to be acknowledge at minimum.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
The org has to address the situation at some point. It’s a total frenzy league wide and in the media. They don’t need to give us the all the details, but the situation needs to be acknowledge at minimum.
I just don’t see what they can add to what’s already known at this point. Val will be the one who has to answer for this eventually.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's absolutely an organisational problem. You can't solely blame MacFarland for this.

No one is solely blaming him, merely that he (or SOMEONE) needs to be the public face of the organization, they shouldn't just be making Bednar the sole contact.

This reminds me of when Sherman was completely invisible during his tenure as Avs GM, only came out once and gave a surly five-minute news conference regarding the whole O'Reilly offer sheet mess, then crawled back into his burrow.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No one is solely blaming him, merely that he (or SOMEONE) needs to be the public face of the organization, they shouldn't just be making Bednar the sole contact.

This reminds me of when Sherman was completely invisible during his tenure as Avs GM, only came out once and gave a surly five-minute news conference regarding the whole O'Reilly offer sheet mess, then crawled back into his burrow.
Sakic didn't really like to meet the press either. That's the Lacroix heritage IMO.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Rule number one when it comes to PR and, frankly, legal testimony: If you don't know anything, don't say anything.

I'd bet my salary on McSakic not knowing what the hell is going on with 100% certainty. They have a Russian player involved in . . . something really weird with a female Russian hook- national. And lots of booze. Nuke blows town in the dead of night. He ain't talking. As I said below, the whole Russian thing is an element and a layer that maybe nobody except for Nuke will really understand.

Nuke's lawyer/agent no doubt has to told the Avalanche to not say anything or his client may have a claim. If I'm the Avs lawyer I tell them to keeps their yaps shut and no comment. When Val is ready to talk, let him do it. Because only he - and his guest - know what the hell happened. And given her state, she may not know either.

There's no sense in McSakic holding a presser to only respond with "it's private and we have nothing to say". Because . . . it's private and they can't say anything. Bednar has to appear because he's got a game to coach and talking to the media is part of his job. But he can only talk about hockey.

Last edited:

Ceremony

Jun 8, 2012

There absolutely should be. Bednar shouldn't be dealing with this. But as a new(er) member of management MacFarland is just going to follow the lead of the organisation and... nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad