Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Or he goes and f***s up again
Sadly he doesn't seem to care about addiction. He, like many Russians will likely ride out his talent til he can't anymore before he looks for a real fix. In Russia itself men in general don't live long and usually abuse drugs and alcohol at unsustainable rates. Their average death rate is about 10-15 years less than most countries.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For all we know, Val may have always had drug issues, he just didn’t fail drug tests until now

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For all we know, Val may have always had drug issues, he just didn’t fail drug tests until now
Until a player is in the player's assistance program, recreational drugs are not at all punished by the league. Teams are simply made aware and all parties move on. Once the clock starts on the PAP, we get into there being consequences.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Until a player is in the player's assistance program, recreational drugs are not at all punished by the league. Teams are simply made aware and all parties move on. Once the clock starts on the PAP, we get into there being consequences.
So you’re saying during a season, a player can do drugs and won’t get punished if he fails a drug test as long as he’s not in PAP? Because I do believe they drug test all the players in the NHL don’t they?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
So you’re saying during a season, a player can do drugs and won’t get punished if he fails a drug test as long as he’s not in PAP? Because I do believe they drug test all the players in the NHL don’t they?
Correct, as long as the drug isn't listed as a PED.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They test them for PEDs. Teams don’t care about drugs till it affects their performance, PR or both.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Never mind, I just read that drugs like cocaine, marijuana are not punishable in the NHL. I can understand weed, but coke is illegal and should be considered PED.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mostly correct on the first part. There is a testing program that wraps everything together. A player that has a 'dangerously' high level of something may have a notice go out. If there is only a small trace of a substance, no notice is given and it is de-identified.

On the drug test, players outside the program are tested team- wide once at training camp with no notice and once during the season with no notice. There is a random selection no notice that happens too, but not all players get hit with it (Nuke did in the playoffs though). During the offseason only 60 tests for the whole league are given.

There is a separate reasonable cause provision. Where if there is reasonable cause to test, a player will be notified and after 48 hours they can be tested.

I believe coke is a PED
Cocaine is not a PED in the NHL due to it specifically being negotiated out by the NHLPA. It is widely considered a PED in other sporting bodies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Last season, it seems Nuke didn't get pinched on the drug test in training camp, got caught on Jan 12th from a team wide test leading to that suspension, and then again on May 12th on a randomly selected test. He'll skip the training camp test, but will very likely be subject to at least one no-notice during the season.

Also... this article cracks me up now. 9 days before his next suspension:

“He’s playing great. It’s huge for everybody — for himself and for us,” forward Andrew Cogliano said. “It’s good to see someone that obviously had some struggles and was able to get through it and come out on the other side and play amazing.”

“He’s doing great. He really is,” Bednar said of Nichushkin. “You want guys to be in good mental health and taking care of themselves, and he’s doing that.

“To be fair, he was playing really well when he wasn’t in great mental health. But I just think for long-term sustainability, you want your guys feeling great and at ease away from the rink. You want them to be having fun when they’re coming to the rink and they’ll be more productive. He’s certainly doing that.”

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
What if what Nichushkin is addicted to, is in fact pain killers? And what if the reason he's addicted, is due to the huge amount of them that Avs team doctors overprescribed to him during the 2022 Stanley Cup run, so he could stay on the ice with his foot/ankle injury?
This isn't directed at you, but I've seen over and over in this thread that Nuke played through the 2022 playoffs with a broken foot and this might even be the source of a potential painkiller addiction, etc.

Let's kill this myth now. Nuke's foot injury occurred in Game 5 against the Lightning and the medical staff was able to keep the swelling down enough / give enough drugs for Nuke to be able to play through it for Game 6.

I don't mean to diminish the amount of pain tolerance and dedication it takes to do this, but it's not like he was being pumped full of drugs for multiple weeks to help the Avs win the Cup. It was ONE game he played on a broken foot.

This isn't the Kadri or Burakovsky or Cogliano situation where they came back from broken bones during the playoff run much quicker than in a normal, regular season timeline and contributed in multiple games. It was one game on the broken foot, that's all.

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017
This isn't directed at you, but I've seen over and over in this thread that Nuke played through the 2022 playoffs with a broken foot and this might even be the source of a potential painkiller addiction, etc.

Let's kill this myth now. Nuke's foot injury occurred in Game 5 against the Lightning and the medical staff was able to keep the swelling down enough / give enough drugs for Nuke to be able to play through it for Game 6.

I don't mean to diminish the amount of pain tolerance and dedication it takes to do this, but it's not like he was being pumped full of drugs for multiple weeks to help the Avs win the Cup. It was ONE game he played on a broken foot.

This isn't the Kadri or Burakovsky or Cogliano situation where they came back from broken bones during the playoff run much quicker than in a normal, regular season timeline and contributed in multiple games. It was one game on the broken foot, that's all.
I can't imagine the mountain of coke he had to snort to get through Game 6

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know this is the case. I've known this for quite some time. I still find it hard to believe that a professional organization in the United States is allowed to be so cavalier about what is normally a felony. I can't believe that the US allowed a labor contract to be signed that allows coke detection to go unreported and not acted upon in any single way.

I mean, I'm no saint myself... I'm not trying to play some holier than thou game. I honestly believe some drugs are probably okay for recreational use and some are not. Coke happens to be one that folks can handle a bit longer than others, but I've never seen a person swear that 30 years of doing cocaine was a positive force in their lives. Most people face consequences though when it becomes known they popped positive for coke, but the NHL goes out if its way to specifically bury these incidents. Between this and Gary's refusal to acknowledge head trauma it gets real difficult to defend the NHL as a top 4 sport in the US.

Reactions: henchman21

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
You guys are something else. Let's find all the wild assumptions in here

1. Val is doing coke.
2. Val is a drug addict.
3. Val got a hooker in Seattle
4. The Avs knowingly extended a drug addict.
5. The Avs were certain to win 1 or 2 more Cups if Val was around.
6. The rest of the Avs players want Val out.
7. The Avs are working hard to dump Val for a bag of pucks.

That's just the beginning of the list. Now how much of any of this is proven???

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

1. Val is doing coke.
2. Val is a drug addict.

[edit, please delete. This was a response more about the poster's mental competence than the actual post.]

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

1. Val is doing coke.
2. Val is a drug addict.

I personally believe that’s all bull shit. I really think Val is being set up by Makar

katfude

Sep 25, 2015

1. Val is doing coke.
2. Val is a drug addict.

Innocent until proven guilty is for the government. You have plenty of information to draw all of those conclusions.

Reactions: Vaslof

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

1. Val is doing coke.
2. Val is a drug addict.

Quite frankly, most of it is proven :laugh:

Reactions: The Moops

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There’s a scene in The Boys that’s applicable here.
I really wanted to get into that series. I love the idea... but actually watching asshole heroes with this many problems turned me off. I loved Watchmen though. Weird, I admit. I'm not even sure myself why I feel so differently about them. I also really loved Will Smith's take on a flawed hero in John Hancock, but that turned out to be more of a tragedy love story.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really wanted to get into that series. I love the idea... but actually watching asshole heroes with this many problems turned me off. I loved Watchmen though. Weird, I admit. I'm not even sure myself why I feel so differently about them. I also really loved Will Smith's take on a flawed hero in John Hancock, but that turned out to be more of a tragedy love story.
The Boys is rather meh to me. It has moments, but times of it trying way too hard. The first season is especially guilty of it. Gets better for 2 and 3 (haven’t seen 4 yet). I’d never say it is a must watch, but fun if you can get past the first season.

The Watchman is something that I feel is really begging for a live action piece that does it justice. The movie has moments, but too Zack Snyder. The series is more of a universe piece than the Watchman. One day I hope someone can do it justice. I hope the same for Blood Meridian too, but my hopes aren’t real high.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad