Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
he is ainec a 1st RD pick.

Rare are the players who can body check the best player of any teams like he does and the opposite team simply does not have any answer for it.

The hockey skills, although limited, is not bad but the intangibles here is extremely, extremely valuable. Its prime Lucic-like.
Agreed that he is easily a 1st round pick in a redraft

His puck skills are very good and easily above average as has been mentioned by Hughes and MSL. The only issue that he has is that he started playing hockey later than most kids and was just very raw and needed time to grasp the technical/positional aspects of the game.

He has the potential to be a very good 2nd pairing D if he can continue to work towards making better decisions and if he can remain healthy. His floor is a punishing bottom pairing dman who can contribute offensively due to having decent puck skills and an elite slapshot along with a powerful wrister.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Agreed that he is easily a 1st round pick in a redraft

His puck skills are very good and easily above average as has been mentioned by Hughes and MSL. The only issue that he has is that he started playing hockey later than most kids and was just very raw and needed time to grasp the technical/positional aspects of the game.

He has the potential to be a very good 2nd pairing D if he can continue to work towards making better decisions and if he can remain healthy. His floor is a punishing bottom pairing dman who can contribute offensively due to having decent puck skills and an elite slapshot along with a powerful wrister.

100% agree

I could not agree more with you my favourite hfboards bourgeois

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He’s in a Dach situation except his upside is 5-6 D + goon, not 2C.

Until he proves himself he’s a fringe nhl goon with busted shoulders.

I hope he signs a “show us” deal, rocks it and becomes a permanent 3rd LD, I love his type.
Injuries I can agree on. Fringe nhl goon is extremely harsh. You don’t have every other team knocking on your door for a fringe nhl goon. He’s way better than that.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Any truth to the Max Truman report that his future with the organization isn't good? I hope not.
The local media has been pushing the narrative that Xhekaj was going to be traded for more than 6 months now.

I don't think it's going to change, they clearly want the kid out.

Reactions: Leto

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Any truth to the Max Truman report that his future with the organization isn't good? I hope not.
Unless he is some sort of major asshole behind the scenes, I highly doubt it.

Everything else points to them loving him imo, he went to the AHL last year because they really want to develop him properly, they see his multi dimension potential, it wasn’t punishment and he played solid and reliably after coming back. That coupled with him apparently being loved in the room, tight with Slaf, drafting his brother. I personally just don’t see it and think they’re invested in him.

There’s just some journalists that are weird and want to create drama for the clicks. Arber has really registered with the fans, so he’s an easy target to create drama about and get those online hits.

My $0.02.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Everything else points to them loving him imo, he went to the AHL last year because they really want to develop him properly, they see his multi dimension potential, it wasn’t punishment and he played solid and reliably after coming back. That coupled with him apparently being loved in the room, tight with Slaf, drafting his brother. I personally just don’t see it and think they’re invested in him.

There’s just some journalists that are weird and want to create drama for the clicks. Arber has really registered with the fans, so he’s an easy target to create drama about and get those online hits.

My $0.02.

Yes, everyone close to the org says they love Arber and know he brings what they need to win in the playoffs.

He's not going anywhere.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Injuries I can agree on. Fringe nhl goon is extremely harsh. You don’t have every other team knocking on your door for a fringe nhl goon. He’s way better than that.
Spent half his season in the ahl, so yeah, fringe. Potential is there and I believe he will show more this season if healthy, though. Not sure what insight you have about teams knocking…

I would argue that Arber Xhekaj is in the top 5 of most popular Habs. The fan base would not be happy if he was traded
This I agree.

Reactions: Tyson

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013

My $0.02.
Yup,journalism is a click bait joke anymore,both in sports and regular news.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Spent half his season in the ahl, so yeah, fringe. Potential is there and I believe he will show more this season if healthy, though. Not sure what insight you have about teams knocking…

This I agree.
17 games in Laval isnt even a quarter of the season and it’s pretty common knowledge that teams were/are constantly calling on him. I read and heard that many times as I’m sure others did. I’m also sure that no one else on this board would call him a fringe goon. You’re very much undervaluing him. I don’t disagree that there’s elements he needs to improve on but so does every other 22 year old defenceman. The fact is, he can skate, he’s huge and aggressive, he’s got the hardest shot on the team, he’s an excellent fighter and he’s improved his defensive play since the start of last year. All he has/had to work on was decision making.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The local media has been pushing the narrative that Xhekaj was going to be traded for more than 6 months now.

I don't think it's going to change, they clearly want the kid out.
Fans/media have propped up Xhekaj to a near cult-like following (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the player too) and they think the coaching staff/management, should do the same.

I don't think there's anything tangible to suggest that management aren't fans of him, he's one of several young players they have high hopes for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad