Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
I think the penalties were addressed after he was demoted to Laval. He said after he got the message. Its been handled.
Now that you mention it, there was marked improvement in 2024 after his AHL stint. He was still among the top 20 most frequently penalized in the second half. Some of those are offsetting roughing calls, which is fine.

I think there is still room to improve on discipline, but perhaps he has a better grasp on it than I originally thought.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Now that you mention it, there was marked improvement in 2024 after his AHL stint. He was still among the top 20 most frequently penalized in the second half. Some of those are offsetting roughing calls, which is fine.

I think there is still room to improve on discipline, but perhaps he has a better grasp on it than I originally thought.
That comes with experience and maturity. I think Xhekaj realizes now that he doesn't have to hit everything in site or look for a fight. He can just play the game as it presents itself on the ice. And when the time comes to defend a teammate or to make a big hit, take it. But don't force it.

All young players struggles with this. For Xhekaj, it was a big issue the got him demoted. When he came back, he was a different player.

Reactions: Redux91

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Interesting that Xhekaj said that Toronto, Florida, and Montreal were among the teams who wanted him to come to their camp, but he chose Montreal because the habs had Chiarot, Weber, Petry, and Edmundson, so he knew they liked those kinds of strong big dmen

Reactions: Sagikev and Guess

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Arber to his Agent...

1724348265851.jpeg

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Interesting article on Xhekaj that talks about him learning about better stick positioning and gap control by watching videos and talking with Adam Nicholas over the summer. Exactly what he needed to be working on! Hopefully all of our prospects are getting great feedback like this.

Interview: Here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Arber talking about his little brother-

«Ça faisait un bail que je n’avais pu partager la glace avec lui, a-t-il confié. J’en suis ressorti surpris: "Wow, ça, c’est un joueur de hockey!" Il est fort, il est rapide. Son tir des poignets est incroyable.

«Je pense qu’il va faire tourner les têtes au camp d’entraînement.»

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
There's a story between Xhekaj and a TVA Sports journalist. They did an interview together. But the TVA Sports journalist forgot to save the interview. The TVA Sports journalist thought he'll get his ass kicked by Xhekaj. But Xhekaj accepted to do again the interview without beating the ass of the TVA Sports journalist.

• Wow
Reactions: Shred and Tyson

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
There's a story between Xhekaj and a TVA Sports journalist. They did an interview together. But the TVA Sports journalist forgot to save the interview. The TVA Sports journalist thought he'll get his ass kicked by Xhekaj. But Xhekaj accepted to do again the interview without beating the ass of the TVA Sports journalist.
If the TVA journalist was Réno Lavoie; he should have kicked his ass

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That comes with experience and maturity. I think Xhekaj realizes now that he doesn't have to hit everything in site or look for a fight. He can just play the game as it presents itself on the ice. And when the time comes to defend a teammate or to make a big hit, take it. But don't force it.

All young players struggles with this. For Xhekaj, it was a big issue the got him demoted. When he came back, he was a different player.
Hearing him talk about his experiences it's easy to see why he felt he had to go at every opportunity.
The interesting factor for me is he's obviously skilled as his post season run in Hamilton proved.
I loved it when he brought up playing forward and having to improve his individual skills.
People don't like to talk about converting Dmen but there is a way to keep this guy and free up our LD if need be.
Honestly I'd rather do that than lose him or even use him as a seven.

Last edited:

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Imagine playing a 4th line of Arber-Beck-Florian... the take no shit line. Ooof... Beck has show he can be hard nosed, not a fighter but with these 2 he won't have to.

I don't need 20 goals from Arber as long as he's defensively sound and contribute for his line mates. Beck and Florian can be the scorers but i'm not selling short Arber as he may well surprise us once again.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He does and he has skill to. Wait until Florian gets to 210-220lbs. He will be an animal. He wasn't an off the board pick, he has legit NHL upside.
According to Arber Florian has hit 210 this summer. Gonna be a helluva bottom six beast for us. He’s gonna be everything Pezzetta tries to be

Imagine playing a 4th line of Arber-Beck-Florian... the take no shit line. Ooof... Beck has show he can be hard nosed, not a fighter but with these 2 he won't have to.

I don't need 20 goals from Arber as long as he's defensively sound and contribute for his line mates. Beck and Florian can be the scorers but i'm not selling short Arber as he may well surprise us once again.
I’m down with seeing Arber playing a Forward role. Our version of Big Buff

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's worked hard to get where he is. Then Made smart moves at right time to stand out before skill was developed.

He said he knew his last day of camp he was going to be cut. Ran some guys to stand out. Which got him a contract. Because of his physicality. Then he studied offensive defensemen. To add to his game. Developed his shot. He's continually improving

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He's worked hard to get where he is. Then Made smart moves at right time to stand out before skill was developed.

He said he knew his last day of camp he was going to be cut. Ran some guys to stand out. Which got him a contract. Because of his physicality. Then he studied offensive defensemen. To add to his game. Developed his shot. He's continually improving
Blue collar guys like Xhekaj can never be underestimated. He has the will!

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Hearing him talk about his experiences it's easy to see why he felt he had to go at every opportunity.
The interesting factor for me is he's obviously skilled as his post season run in Hamilton proved.
I loved it when he brought up playing forward and having to improve his individual skills.
People don't like to talk about converting Dmen but there is a way to keep this guy and free up our LD if need be.
Honestly I'd rather do that than lose him or even use him as a
Imagine if we had our own version of Dustin Byfuglien . He started his career as a D , then switched to winger then played the last part of his career back on D .
Size, strength, fear factor and booming shot are things him and Xhekaj have in common.
If it becomes evident that he doesn’t cut it on D, I’m all in for a line with both WiFi’s terrorizing opponents while contributing offensively.
We simply cannot let this big kid slip out of our lineup

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Blue collar guys like Xhekaj can never be underestimated. He has the will!
Arber said after practice he seen them taping his sticks together. He knew he was being cut. He told Luke Richardson he really wanted to play final game of camp. He knew he had to do something to stand out. So he threw his weight around. They offered him a contract. That night back in hotel room was very emotional night for his family. His family had travelled to watch him in camp. His Mom was crying.

Reactions: Tyson

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Arber said after practice he seen them taping his sticks together. He knew he was being cut. He told Luke Richardson he really wanted to play final game of camp. He knew he had to do something to stand out. So he threw his weight around. They offered him a contract. That night back in hotel room was very emotional night for his family. His family had travelled to watch him in camp. His Mom was crying.
That was a solid interview

Reactions: Shred and Tyson

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Its wild to think he was playing on bummed shoulders. Hopefully het gets all his capacity back. Guys like that help you in playoffs.
That's why I cringe when I read some of the posters here eagerly awaiting Abner's return so he can start fighting. This 'my daddy can beat up your daddy' syndrome has got to stop. We need Xhekaj on the ice, not on long term rehab from further surgical repairs to his shoulders. Let him 'hurt' teams with his strong physical play and 100 mph+ shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad