Niagara IceDogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
CHL waivers so any team that had less** points than you guys must not have wanted him. Believe they get first dibs. Also they probably had their import spots filled where as you guys don’t I believe so you just got lucky getting the guy.
But he would have had to clear waivers in the QMJHL first before being available to OHL teams, right?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
But he would have had to clear waivers in the QMJHL first before being available to OHL teams, right?
Not 100% sure how that works with a chl import. I assume since the import draft is between all 3 leagues it would just go in order of lowest to highest points across the chl

Just checked. The only team that had less points then the icedogs in the whole chl was the val d’or foreurs with 36 who just got a really good import guy first overall ( you guys had 42)

Reactions: bigsportsfan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Why is Bryant so talked about you have Flores and at least 1 other OA that could be dealt with or released

If you are trying to make this team better, then you want leadership that is proven. I also think that the Kraken would have a say in what happens. If he is going to get bounced around then it gets interesting for them.

Also, Barrie drafted 2 players and has Sale, so I don't see why they would want another Euro.

Lashko would be the perfect linemate for Bryant and Roobreck.

Reactions: mattommy98

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why is Bryant so talked about you have Flores and at least 1 other OA that could be dealt with or released

If you are trying to make this team better, then you want leadership that is proven. I also think that the Kraken would have a say in what happens. If he is going to get bounced around then it gets interesting for them.

Also, Barrie drafted 2 players and has Sale, so I don't see why they would want another Euro.

Bryant might not be in the line up until November. Flores, Loshko, and VanVliet are the other OAs.
Though I think the Icedogs will have Galiyanov in the middle six at some point, the forward lines could look something like;
He-Assadourian/Bryant-Roobroek
Levin-Bryant/Czata-Loshko
Vermuelen-Czata/Wray-Paris
Crete-Wassylin-Galiyanov
Stewart
Someone could end up unhappy with their TOI; so while it might be more likely that Assourdian gets traded, it’s entirely possible that it is Bryant moved at the first OA deadline because he could have a lot of trade value. I suppose it’s also possible Wray ends up in NB, or OS playing for his father.

Barrie has one import currently. The import goalie is not expected to show this year, and Sale was traded to Kitchener in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario

The problem with Niagara is that they don't always make trades that result in the team getting better. In the same year, we've seen management overpay for a player only to trade off to another team for less picks. The old buy high, sell low, adage that no one follows.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The problem with Niagara is that they don't always make trades that result in the team getting better. In the same year, we've seen management overpay for a player only to trade off to another team for less picks. The old buy high, sell low, adage that no one follows.

The in-out total for Crane was particularly bad; otherwise, Niagara gained more than gave away in that regard. The IceDogs got favourable exchanges with Zito, Dann, and Sobolev. While I would not have traded Ride at any point, Dionicio - Ride, 2nd - Robertson, 2-3s, 2-4s was a very good exchange overall for Niagara. Dionicio was worth nowhere near Robertson, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4 imo.

Last edited:

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024

Barrie might only have 1 import the goalie they drafted this year decided to stay in Europe I believe and depending on if sale can make the jump or if he decides to go elsewhere as well

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Since next season (2025-26) is supposed to be the go-for-it season, I'm taking a look at the current roster outlook. Sadly, with our owner, this will lack stability.

He (19) - Roobroeck (18) – Levin (20)
Wassilyn (17) - Czata (18) – Galiyanov (18)
Vermuelen (19) - Crete (17) – Wray (19)
Dianov (18) – Hotles (17)

Brauti (19) – Virgilio (19)
Cheynowski (19) – Wysick/Scott (20)
Frasca (17) – Dewatcher (18)

Robertson (20)
Humphries (17)

I think the top 2 lines and Crete will be dynamic offensively. Robertson is a good goaltender. Not sure how Humphries will do in net as his support.

The defense is weak, as always. Brauti and Virgilio will be fine pieces in the top 4, but better suited on the 2nd pair. This line up needs two quality defenseman, and some better depth in the bottom 6 to contend. Ideally that means bringing in a top liner to push someone down as well. Getting 2 strong imports next summer would be huge, as I don't think the draft capital exists to bring in what is required.

Reactions: dkl

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Since next season (2025-26) is supposed to be the go-for-it season, I'm taking a look at the current roster outlook. Sadly, with our owner, this will lack stability.

He (19) - Roobroeck (18) – Levin (20)
Wassilyn (17) - Czata (18) – Galiyanov (18)
Vermuelen (19) - Crete (17) – Wray (19)
Dianov (18) – Hotles (17)

Brauti (19) – Virgilio (19)
Cheynowski (19) – Wysick/Scott (20)
Frasca (17) – Dewatcher (18)

Robertson (20)
Humphries (17)

I think the top 2 lines and Crete will be dynamic offensively. Robertson is a good goaltender. Not sure how Humphries will do in net as his support.

The defense is weak, as always. Brauti and Virgilio will be fine pieces in the top 4, but better suited on the 2nd pair. This line up needs two quality defenseman, and some better depth in the bottom 6 to contend. Ideally that means bringing in a top liner to push someone down as well. Getting 2 strong imports next summer would be huge, as I don't think the draft capital exists to bring in what is required.
Great analysis. I dont see that roster being close to championship calibre. I think it will be mid-pack

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Great analysis. I dont see that roster being close to championship calibre. I think it will be mid-pack
A great deal of how it looks is going to depend on how Boudreau develops them this year. One thing you need is leadership from winning teams to change the dressing room mindset. lOSHKO, CZata He should bring that from different teams as well as Roobroek.

It is just a case of will they play the coaches style.

I donot see this team as a push over this year or a team that you can plan on playing your second string and relaxing on a 3 game weekend anymore

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I get what you're saying, but look where some of those guys were last year, and add 2 years.

Like He and Roobroeck will be one of the best duo's in the league by then. I've talked to scouts who think Roobreck will be a top 10 pick in his draft. They're also very high on the potential of Czata and Galiyanov.

Wassilyn and Crete have a lot of promise too. I think it will actually be a dynamic offensive core. The question is simply if they can really beef up that defense and improve the depth.

They should be a 3rd round team at least in 2025-26, but I understand you questioning if they can get past that, even with additions.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I get what you're saying, but look where some of those guys were last year, and add 2 years.

Like He and Roobroeck will be one of the best duo's in the league by then. I've talked to scouts who think Roobreck will be a top 10 pick in his draft. They're also very high on the potential of Czata and Galiyanov.

Wassilyn and Crete have a lot of promise too. I think it will actually be a dynamic offensive core. The question is simply if they can really beef up that defense and improve the depth.

They should be a 3rd round team at least in 2025-26, but I understand you questioning if they can get past that, even with additions.
If Wycisk can return healthy and stay in the line-up, that D with one added import could be pretty good.
The central could be good again next season though, with at least one big team; Vermulen-Wray-Paris, and Hotles will need to be ready to contribute a bit.

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Niagara might finish 8th, but at what price? After the draft, their GM explained, “the 2008s (Wassilyn, Crete) are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class (Roobroeck, Frolov, Galiyanov, Czata) and we’re excited to see their development this season”.

Following the Frolov trade, they completely flipped the script, “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.

To make ill-advised trades to assemble a team that may or may not make the playoffs, instead of continuing with the goal of building a potential championship team is an idiotic plan!

Reactions: bigsportsfan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not 100% sure how that works with a chl import. I assume since the import draft is between all 3 leagues it would just go in order of lowest to highest points across the chl

Just checked. The only team that had less points then the icedogs in the whole chl was the val d’or foreurs with 36 who just got a really good import guy first overall ( you guys had 42)
q first, then the rest of the league. Have to get out of your own league first

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Niagara might finish 8th, but at what price? After the draft, their GM explained, “the 2008s (Wassilyn, Crete) are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class (Roobroeck, Frolov, Galiyanov, Czata) and we’re excited to see their development this season”.

Following the Frolov trade, they completely flipped the script, “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.

To make ill-advised trades to assemble a team that may or may not make the playoffs, instead of continuing with the goal of building a potential championship team is an idiotic plan!
The question is are the trades going to be ill advised???

If Niagara can play 600 hockey, that should put them in the playoff window, depending on what happens to Ottawa, NB and the Petes.

Then, the question is going to be where everyone is at the deadline. If you can trade your OA at the deadline and get good picks or players, then it makes sense. They are not going to trade any of the draft-eligible players because to lose them means you lose money.

Staying pat and doing nothing is definitely the wrong move if you want to get better.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018

If Niagara can play 600 hockey, that should put them in the playoff window, depending on what happens to Ottawa, NB and the Petes.

Then, the question is going to be where everyone is at the deadline. If you can trade your OA at the deadline and get good picks or players, then it makes sense. They are not going to trade any of the draft-eligible players because to lose them means you lose money.

Staying pat and doing nothing is definitely the wrong move if you want to get better.

After the draft, their GM explained, “the 2008s (Wassilyn, Crete) are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class (Roobroeck, Frolov, Galiyanov, Czata) and we’re excited to see their development this season”. Following the Frolov trade, they completely flipped the script, “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
They are not going to trade any of the draft-eligible players because to lose them means you lose money.
Niagara JUST traded away their best 2025 NHL draft eligible player (Frolov) so what makes you think they won't trade Czata and or Galiyanov if "the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”?

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024

They won’t stand pat at the deadline depending on where they are standing wise I could see all of Bryant Van vliet Flores and loshko moved (if the rumours of loshko getting moved this week aren’t true) looking at the roster I think they’ll have too many OA next year as well so some of them might be gone to

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
What type of camp did Nikolas Rossetto a Sault Ste. Marie product have? Never have seen his name mentioned.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I can't imagine the ill-advised trades DD would make if they were a playoff bubble team around the trade deadline.

The best thing this team could do is allow the young guys to grow with some vets to stabilize things and just ride the year out. See what happens.

What type of camp did Nikolas Rossetto a Sault Ste. Marie product have? Never have seen his name mentioned.
Rossetto is with Brantford. I saw him play yesterday. Clearly has skill, can skate, strong for his size.... but wow, he is small.

They have him listed at 5'9". That's generous of them.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

After the draft, their GM explained, “the 2008s (Wassilyn, Crete) are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class (Roobroeck, Frolov, Galiyanov, Czata) and we’re excited to see their development this season”. Following the Frolov trade, they completely flipped the script, “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.

Niagara JUST traded away their best 2025 NHL draft eligible player (Frolov) so what makes you think they won't trade Czata and or Galiyanov if "the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”?

They won’t stand pat at the deadline depending on where they are standing wise I could see all of Bryant Van vliet Flores and loshko moved (if the rumours of loshko getting moved this week aren’t true) looking at the roster I think they’ll have too many OA next year as well so some of them might be gone to
Until the trades camp and they play a few games we really do not know what they have. As to Frolov it is an interesting trade but it looks like they added to the defence which was a sore point was it not

we will have to see how it works out.

I want to give Boudreau credit as a coach and think he would have some input

Reactions: Jawk and dogs777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad