NHL & Vegas Part Deuces Wild: Betting it all on Black (Knights)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but....

If Las Vegas gets a team and then if they call themselves the Aces, they could very well have the best promotion you could possibly imagine....

A deck of cards with their NHL roster/prospects on each of their cards, with their position in the deck placed depending on what they did the most recent season. Then have their head coach and someone else round off the deck.

How awesome would that be?

Great idea No Fun...with 52 cards, you'd get everyone on a card from the owner to stick-boy...
Here's one for the mascot...

Lva-116.jpg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have to say the Aces branding video and the playing cards idea are simply stellar...

...which means that they probably won't do it. :laugh:

I thought I heard at some point that Foley didn't want to do a gambling-related team name, though?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkJ09_exPQ

Bingo!!!
Check this out...

I did this up as a part of a Las Vegas NHL concept.
It doesn't matter whether you like the concept or not...That's not the point.
The point is, this team will form a partnership between the NHL and one of the most unique,famous cities in the world.

So...a passionate, billionaire owner, a fantastic venue and a city that welcomes almost 40 million visitors a year.
Almost 99% of those visitors stay for more than a day. (an average of 3.3 nights)

So what, if on most nights, the arena is half full of corporate types and high rollers who acquired the tickets as part of a value-added promo, or other-business ventures.
...Sounds a bit like Toronto.

You should be getting this copyrighted. Why aren't you working for an NHL team or the league.

Fantastic job.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
I have to say the Aces branding video and the playing cards idea are simply stellar...

I thought I heard at some point that Foley didn't want to do a gambling-related team name, though?

The AAA baseball team in Reno is already the Aces. Sure, it's a different sport and a different city; but if you're trying to build a brand, you probably don't want to share a nickname with a team that's based in the same state.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The AAA baseball team in Reno is already the Aces. Sure, it's a different sport and a different city; but if you're trying to build a brand, you probably don't want to share a nickname with a team that's based in the same state.

It's also the name of one of the ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers' rivals, the Alaska Aces. Awesome idea, though. As a pilot, I really like the aviation angle and hope we find something that can work with Southern Nevada's aviation history.

I'm still keen to the Thunderbirds, Falcons, or Peregrines.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's also the name of one of the ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers' rivals, the Alaska Aces. Awesome idea, though. As a pilot, I really like the aviation angle and hope we find something that can work with Southern Nevada's aviation history.

I'm still keen to the Thunderbirds, Falcons, or Peregrines.

Vipers/Falcons are two names I like because of Nellis.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

That's true, which is what's so good about Aces. He can draw from the dual meaning, play it off like it's about aviation (which has a long history in Las Vegas anyway), but also get a subtle reference to the more obvious connotation at the same time. It's a strong marketing move, IMO.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

Bingo!!!
Check this out...

I did this up as a part of a Las Vegas NHL concept.
It doesn't matter whether you like the concept or not...That's not the point.
The point is, this team will form a partnership between the NHL and one of the most unique,famous cities in the world.

So...a passionate, billionaire owner, a fantastic venue and a city that welcomes almost 40 million visitors a year.
Almost 99% of those visitors stay for more than a day. (an average of 3.3 nights)

So what, if on most nights, the arena is half full of corporate types and high rollers who acquired the tickets as part of a value-added promo, or other-business ventures.
...Sounds a bit like Toronto.

Wow. That's quite impressive. I was generally thinking more along the lines of cards/gambling motif with the name "Aces," but this is amazing. And even though I dont know how I feel about another plane-themed team after the Jets just got back, this may have changed my opinion.

Well done, sparky. :handclap:

Also the Elvis-inspired gold and white uniform needs to happen no matter what the team is called. :laugh: (with tinted helmet visors of course)

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
maybe the 51's will play their semi annual "we r totes changing r name u guyz" game again but mean it this time

and then the NHL can steal the best name in sports

heddrush

May 26, 2011
I remember when the EA Sports NHL series first introduced GM Mode in their games, back in 2001 or so. They had a Created Franchise option, and one of the logos available was a viper head. I would make the Las Vegas Vipers every time I bought a new game. I always switched either the Panthers or Coyotes.

The colours were primarily tan gold, with red, orange and black accents.

I was looking at the logistics the other day, and moving the Coyotes to Las Vegas would be very manageable. It's only an hour flight from Glendale to Las Vegas, so Coyotes fans would still be able to attend the games, in addition to the 40 million people that vacation in the city every year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I was looking at the logistics the other day, and moving the Coyotes to Las Vegas would be very manageable. It's only an hour flight from Glendale to Las Vegas, so Coyotes fans would still be able to attend the games, in addition to the 40 million people that vacation in the city every year.

Except Vegas is going to get a team before the Coyotes' out clause would kick in, so that one bit of logistics is kind of a roadblock.

I should also mention that many Arizona hockey fans (not so much the Coyotes' faithful) cite the length of the drive from Scottsdale/Mesa/Tempe to Glendale as a reason why they can't be bothered to show up for games. So a plane flight or a six-hour drive probably wouldn't go over well either. :sarcasm:

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
Also the Elvis-inspired gold and white uniform needs to happen no matter what the team is called. :laugh: (with tinted helmet visors of course)

Thanks IceAce and I agree.
The Las vegas "What-Evers" would have to have an "Elvis Night".
...Special unis...Prizes for best Elvis impersonator...

Lva-101.jpg

Lva-100.jpg

heddrush

May 26, 2011
Except Vegas is going to get a team before the Coyotes' out clause would kick in, so that one bit of logistics is kind of a roadblock.

I should also mention that many Arizona hockey fans (not so much the Coyotes' faithful) cite the length of the drive from Scottsdale/Mesa/Tempe to Glendale as a reason why they can't be bothered to show up for games. So a plane flight or a six-hour drive probably wouldn't go over well either. :sarcasm:

{Mod}

They have shown repeatedly that they cannot support the team enough to stop financial bleeding for several years running. Since their inception, attendance has been on a down-trend.

With a team in Las Vegas, I highly doubt attendance will be an issue whatsoever. I simply raised the point that Coyotes fans, (what's left of them anyway), could continue their support in Las Vegas because the cities aren't very far from one another.

But of course, the NHL should keep a team in a city where the fan base can't be bothered to show up :sarcasm:

EDIT: Why the rush to put a team in Vegas? Wait until the Coyotes' out clause is up, take the money and run to gamble it all in Vegas.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
[unnecessary stuff snipped]

EDIT: Why the rush to put a team in Vegas? Wait until the Coyotes' out clause is up, take the money and run to gamble it all in Vegas.

Because of two reasons:

1. Bettman wants the expansion fee from Las Vegas, and
  2. The league does not want to relocate the Coyotes, nor does the team's owner, Andrew Barroway.

For the nine hundred seventy-five millionth time, the NHL is going to exhaust all possibilities it can to avoid seeing another team relocate because expansion is more profitable and because relocation is a sign of overall weakness.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well, since it's Elvis in his prime and not comedy gold Fat Elvis, the Graceland people would probably be alright with this promotion.

Not so much. If you use any kind of likeness on a 3rd jersey or whatever, even build a promotion around Elvis, you'd have to go through Authentic Brands who control the physical & intellectual property rights and like their forerunners in EPE from whom they acquired those rights... highly litigious. So depending on the parameters, if such was contemplated then for sure their attorneys would be wise to talk with Authentic first, quickly discovering that rights fee's would be required. Just how much would depend on just what it was they wanted to do, how they planned to use the image, iconography. Dead celebrities, huge, sophisticated & highly lucrative sub-genre of the endorsement sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad