NHL & Vegas Part Deuces Wild: Betting it all on Black (Knights)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
My whole point whenever the comparisons come up is that it is not an apples to apples comparison to talk about any other drives, which I know is the point of mentioning this isn't a comparison thread.

1.) This isn't a city with a former team. There isn't a dearth of scorned fans ready to jump into the fray to get their team back.
2.) This isn't a hockey city. It will be. The NHL will be the only pro sports in town for the foreseeable future, and as we all know live hockey is amazing and will get people hooked, especially when there isn't an NFL or MLB team with which to compete for attendance.
3.) This is about expanding the league into new markets. Winnipeg and Quebec fans didn't stop watching the league when their teams left, not in any major way I've seen.
4.) We don't have a team. This is a "place money down on tickets and we'll see if we can get a team" drive. Winnipeg already knew they were getting a team, if we knew the Coyotes or Panthers were coming here the deposits would go a lot faster. We (Las Vegans) have been here before. We've never gone this far down the road, but we've heard stories about the Coyotes, the Penguins, the Expos, etc. for years.
5.) We now have, based on what I've read, more season ticket holders than the Dallas Stars, even if 20% of the deposits don't convert to sales.

We've got an amazing arena being built, we've got a good ownership group, we've got a track record of showing up for IHL hockey in big numbers even when the city was 750,000 less in population, and we've got a chance. Sorry for anything someone from Vegas did to you, sorry you don't like Bettman and his ways, sorry there isn't 15 teams in Canada, but you've got to let us do this thing and at least take a chance. There are hockey fans here and literally hundreds of thousands ready to be recruited.

Plus, on the bright side, if it all goes bad in Vegas there's a chance to put a team in Halifax, Saskatoon, Milwaukee, Portland, or whatever other city people have decided would be a better choice.

I cried.....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I have my doubts at this point, anyone remember how long the Jackets and Wild season ticket drives were?

Unless NHL has other legit options for expansion out west that don't mind paying a significant expansion fee. I don't see they have much of a choice. If Vegas wants to pay a high fee why should NHL say no.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I have my doubts at this point, anyone remember how long the Jackets and Wild season ticket drives were?

Don't believe they had one. Columbus did, however, have as few as 7,000 season tickets sold for the 11/12 season.

ETA: According to what I'm able to find; the Wild began their inaugural season with 13,000 season tickets, Columbus had 12,500.

Last edited:

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
The "Save The Whale" campaign netted season ticket sales totaling 8,563 in less than a 45-day span despite the Whalers raising ticket prices by an average of 20 percent, eliminating partial ticket plans and increasing the deposit amount for season tickets by 750 percent. This represented an expansion of over 3,500 tickets from the existing base. ~ Wikipedia

The Nashville team would be scheduled to begin play in 1998 if they met the NHL requirement of selling 12,000 season tickets before March 31, 1998. ~ Wikipedia

The Nashville Predators, the National Hockey League's expansion team for 1998-99, reached its league-mandated goal of 12,000 season tickets sold by the end of March, bringing to an end a six-month campaign. ~ http://business.highbeam.com/53/art...le-predators-achieve-nhl-mandate-12000-season

I think every team other than Phoenix, Carolina, and Florida has over 10k season ticket holders. Most teams that have 90+% capacity have wait lists.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The "Save The Whale" campaign netted season ticket sales totaling 8,563 in less than a 45-day span despite the Whalers raising ticket prices by an average of 20 percent, eliminating partial ticket plans and increasing the deposit amount for season tickets by 750 percent. This represented an expansion of over 3,500 tickets from the existing base. ~ Wikipedia

The Nashville team would be scheduled to begin play in 1998 if they met the NHL requirement of selling 12,000 season tickets before March 31, 1998. ~ Wikipedia

The Nashville Predators, the National Hockey League's expansion team for 1998-99, reached its league-mandated goal of 12,000 season tickets sold by the end of March, bringing to an end a six-month campaign. ~ http://business.highbeam.com/53/art...le-predators-achieve-nhl-mandate-12000-season

I think every team other than Phoenix, Carolina, and Florida has over 10k season ticket holders. Most teams that have 90+% capacity have wait lists.

Very insightful information, especially considering the current state of the Vegas drive. I hadn't been able to find solid numbers on many teams, but those links are well enjoyed by me, especially considering the Winnipeg thing.

I'd read that Dallas was down to about 6,000 in 2012, but it was a pretty awkwardly worded blurb in a story about all team's season ticket holders. I'll see if I can find the address.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Very insightful information, especially considering the current state of the Vegas drive. I hadn't been able to find solid numbers on many teams, but those links are well enjoyed by me, especially considering the Winnipeg thing.

I'd read that Dallas was down to about 6,000 in 2012, but it was a pretty awkwardly worded blurb in a story about all team's season ticket holders. I'll see if I can find the address.

http://canuckscorner.com/tombenjamin/2011/10/12/attendance-woes-in-dallas/

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkJ09_exPQ
My whole point whenever the comparisons come up is that it is not an apples to apples comparison to talk about any other drives, which I know is the point of mentioning this isn't a comparison thread.

1.) This isn't a city with a former team. There isn't a dearth of scorned fans ready to jump into the fray to get their team back.
2.) This isn't a hockey city. It will be. The NHL will be the only pro sports in town for the foreseeable future, and as we all know live hockey is amazing and will get people hooked, especially when there isn't an NFL or MLB team with which to compete for attendance.
3.) This is about expanding the league into new markets. Winnipeg and Quebec fans didn't stop watching the league when their teams left, not in any major way I've seen.
4.) We don't have a team. This is a "place money down on tickets and we'll see if we can get a team" drive. Winnipeg already knew they were getting a team, if we knew the Coyotes or Panthers were coming here the deposits would go a lot faster. We (Las Vegans) have been here before. We've never gone this far down the road, but we've heard stories about the Coyotes, the Penguins, the Expos, etc. for years.
5.) We now have, based on what I've read, more season ticket holders than the Dallas Stars, even if 20% of the deposits don't convert to sales.

We've got an amazing arena being built, we've got a good ownership group, we've got a track record of showing up for IHL hockey in big numbers even when the city was 750,000 less in population, and we've got a chance. Sorry for anything someone from Vegas did to you, sorry you don't like Bettman and his ways, sorry there isn't 15 teams in Canada, but you've got to let us do this thing and at least take a chance. There are hockey fans here and literally hundreds of thousands ready to be recruited.

Plus, on the bright side, if it all goes bad in Vegas there's a chance to put a team in Halifax, Saskatoon, Milwaukee, Portland, or whatever other city people have decided would be a better choice.

Bingo!!!
Check this out...

I did this up as a part of a Las Vegas NHL concept.
It doesn't matter whether you like the concept or not...That's not the point.
The point is, this team will form a partnership between the NHL and one of the most unique,famous cities in the world.

So...a passionate, billionaire owner, a fantastic venue and a city that welcomes almost 40 million visitors a year.
Almost 99% of those visitors stay for more than a day. (an average of 3.3 nights)

So what, if on most nights, the arena is half full of corporate types and high rollers who acquired the tickets as part of a value-added promo, or other-business ventures.
...Sounds a bit like Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Bingo!!!
Check this out...

The point is, this team will form a partnership between the NHL and one of the most unique,famous cities in the world.

So...a passionate, billionaire owner, a fantastic venue and a city that welcomes almost 40 million visitors a year.
Almost 99% of those visitors stay for more than a day. (an average of 3.3 nights)

So what, if on most nights, the arena is half full of corporate types and high rollers who acquired the tickets as part of a value-added promo, or other-business ventures.

You should put some copyrights on that design. Fellas in LV might pay big bucks for it.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
This is about expanding the league into new markets. Winnipeg and Quebec fans didn't stop watching the league when their teams left, not in any major way I've seen.

Yes they did. Same with Hartford.

This isn't a hockey city.

we know

It will be.

you really don't know that.

The NHL will be the only pro sports in town for the foreseeable future, and as we all know live hockey is amazing and will get people hooked

Because the Wranglers are doing so well this year... oh wait.

And this is what people in Florida and Phoenix say, so don't get mad at me when I say I don't buy it.

We now have, based on what I've read, more season ticket holders than the Dallas Stars, even if 20% of the deposits don't convert to sales.

and how long before the season ticket drop off eventually happens? :eviltongu

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Interesting. Makes it seem pretty impressive, then, how well these people kept up with the game without having watched a single one since the relocations. Winnipeg in particular was VERY up-to-date on the latest goings-on with the Coyotes and Thrashers. Must be ESP...?

And this is what people in Florida and Phoenix say, so don't get mad at me when I say I don't buy it.

We don't get mad at you for not buying it. We get mad at you for shoving your skepticism so arrogantly in our faces. We hockey fans in non-traditional markets have enough to worry about without you and others making us the scapegoats and whipping boys for things over which we have no control.

Your message is essentially, "You're an ******* for having hope."

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Bingo!!!
Check this out...

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:.........

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
This is about expanding the league into new markets. Winnipeg and Quebec fans didn't stop watching the league when their teams left, not in any major way I've seen.

This isn't a hockey city.

we know

It will be.

you really don't know that.

The NHL will be the only pro sports in town for the foreseeable future, and as we all know live hockey is amazing and will get people hooked

Because the Wranglers are doing so well this year... oh wait.

We now have, based on what I've read, more season ticket holders than the Dallas Stars, even if 20% of the deposits don't convert to sales.

and how long before the season ticket drop off eventually happens? :eviltongu

I did. And i've been actively boycotting the NHL and it's partners since 1995

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa

Bingo!!!
Check this out...

nice editing, even better song selection! I disagree with the team but you did good work!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but....

If Las Vegas gets a team and then if they call themselves the Aces, they could very well have the best promotion you could possibly imagine....

A deck of cards with their NHL roster/prospects on each of their cards, with their position in the deck placed depending on what they did the most recent season. Then have their head coach and someone else round off the deck.

How awesome would that be?

FlaPantherSwe*

Interesting. Makes it seem pretty impressive, then, how well these people kept up with the game without having watched a single one since the relocations. Winnipeg in particular was VERY up-to-date on the latest goings-on with the Coyotes and Thrashers. Must be ESP...?

We don't get mad at you for not buying it. We get mad at you for shoving your skepticism so arrogantly in our faces. We hockey fans in non-traditional markets have enough to worry about without you and others making us the scapegoats and whipping boys for things over which we have no control.

Your message is essentially, "You're an ******* for having hope."

This its hard to feel sympathy for Qubecc when fans like this excist.. at the end of the day we have teams they dont..

Im really excited for Vegas and hopefully they seal the deal.. hockey is for everyone

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
so what, you want us to just shut up while the NHL plops teams in areas when there are better alternatives?

it's not my(our) responsibility to make you feel good.

I've been avoiding this topic for a long time now, the second I show up to voice my opinion some get mad. Too bad, face the music. You think I'm bad? Wait til you get a team. People can be a lot more vitriolic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad