NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Though there is a very vocal contingent in this sub that downright refuses to do so, its always better to look at multi-year trends/data than overreact to one large data point.

Non Raptors NBA games are barely a footnote in Canada

Correct. Lot of people don't understand the difference between the Raptors popularity (when they're in the playoffs) and the [lack of] popularity of the "NBA" in Canada.

99.9% just go straight to the 2019 run to the Finals & championship by the Raptors for their viewership numbers. Then go on and on about the NBA in Canada's "growth" and other nonsensical buzz words.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking, what about the TSN doubleheader where the Bucks-Sixers game did 73k & the Clippers-Blazers game did 66k. Or what about the Rockets-Pistons TSN game that did 30k. Or the season opening Lakers-Warriors, LeBron-Curry about as hyped up of a regular season matchup as you can get and it did 158k in Canada last season, beaten by multiple REGIONAL NHL broadcasts. All viewership numbers that have happened in the previous two seasons.

It's just Raptors playoff numbers = "NBA" and it's an ignorant take. They don't even look at Raptors regular season numbers which get beaten by regional NHL broadcasts essentially every night, or destroyed by national NHL broadcasts when H2H with those.

Even when the Raptors do get near/just under 500k for a regular season game, they proceed to get beaten that night by a Czech-Sweden WJC game.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Game 4 on saturday will be up again it's clear there's a HNIC effect and well also clinching game.

Other than, as stated, the potential series clinching game boost, and of course Saturday night, the #'s so far in each respective country are difficult to use to project remaining game(s) this series. Would just be a total guess.

-Game 1 to Game 3 L2R-
CAN: 4.0M / 3.3M / 3.1M or 3.2M
U.S.: 3.1M / 3.6M / 3.4M

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Other than, as stated, the potential series clinching game boost, and of course Saturday night, the #'s so far in each respective country are difficult to use to project remaining game(s) this series. Would just be a total guess.

-Game 1 to Game 3 L2R-
To add to that, clinching games get a viewership bump, but we havent been on the verge of a sweep in 25 years, which further obscures meaningful estimation

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I will be the contrarian and say that it is a little bit surprising that that the 2019 NBA finals outdrew 2024 SCF. And that is because the gulf in popularity between the NHL and NBA in Canada is so vast. It's as vast (on a proportional scale) as the NBA vs NHL in the USA. TO say that it's completely unsurprising that the Raptors could out-rate a Canadian team in the SCF is to underrate that gulf.

The Toronto teams in the NBA and MLB have always ahd massive ratings if they advance far into the playoffs. I'm not sure how many Canadian TV sets were tuned into the 1992 and 1993 World Series, but when Joe Carter hit the home run to lead the Jays to the World Series, it seemed like over half the country had tuned in to witness it.

Outside of Toronto, the MLB and NBA usually get poor ratings in Canada.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Well in 2012, the Kings were up 3-0 vs the Devils. Other than that, it would have been 1998.

And Game 4 was on NBCSN, so it'd just be another one on the pile of information that isn't going to help anyone come up with a good prediction for tonight's number. That's for the U.S., for Canada, that series averaged 2.7M. Game 6 did 3.1M in Canada and going back to the original "series clincher boost" it peaked at 4.7M in the final minute of Game 6.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
-CANADA avg viewership (English only)-

Game 2
Oilers-Panthers: 2.884M
-SN: 1.594M
--CBC: 1.061M
---Citytv: 229k
Our local sports radio has a sport market Saturday show. The host just said Canadian viewing of the Cup Final is 8-1 over the US.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Our local sports radio has a sport market Saturday show. The host just said Canadian viewing of the Cup Final is 8-1 over the US.
Arent too good at reading are you?

Posted above, viewership for the two countries
-Game 1 to Game 3 L2R-

Reaser

May 19, 2021

Yeah, you said last Saturday that the host said something, and that didn't make sense and wasn't supported by any of the actual numbers.

Probably need the exact quote and more importantly the context it was said in.

It's a sports business show so benefit of the doubt that Tom would know what he's talking about. Best guess is we're not getting the context ...

Edit: I listened to the clips and can clear the past two Saturdays up:

Heard on local Vancouver sports radio up here the playoffs are averaging 4 mil viewers. North of the border hockey is King. Not too sure where it ranks down south.

There’s a spots show Saturday that deals with the business of sport. The host, Tom mayenknecht) said there were 4 million viewers up here. So about 4 times south of the border?

He didn't say they were averaging 4 million viewers. He was setting the o/u at 4 million avg viewers in Canada for the SCF. He also said if Canada can get to "over 4 million" that the North America (combined U.S. & Canada) number would be "north of 5 to 5.5M." Which implies thinking U.S. would average just north of 1-1.5M for the SCF. So he was wildly underestimating U.S. SCF average viewership but a fair enough pre-SCF o/u of 4 million avg viewers in Canada. Won't ding him for that, despite the fact that Rogers set their own projections at less than 4 million.

This wasn't average viewership. This was population. He was saying because both are averaging in roughly the same range for the playoffs (and SCF) and because "the U.S. population is 8x Canada." That meant that the ratio of Canadians watching was 8-to-1 v. USA.

Context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, you said last Saturday that the host said something, and that didn't make sense and wasn't supported by any of the actual numbers.

Probably need the exact quote and more importantly the context it was said in.

It's a sports business show so benefit of the doubt that Tom would know what he's talking about. Best guess is we're not getting the context ...

Edit: I listened to the clips and can clear the past two Saturdays up:

He didn't say they were averaging 4 million viewers. He was setting the o/u at 4 million avg viewers in Canada for the SCF. He also said if Canada can get to "over 4 million" that the North America (combined U.S. & Canada) number would be "north of 5 to 5.5M." Which implies thinking U.S. would average just north of 1-1.5M for the SCF. So he was wildly underestimating U.S. SCF average viewership but a fair enough pre-SCF o/u of 4 million avg viewers in Canada. Won't ding him for that, despite the fact that Rogers set their own projections at less than 4 million.

This wasn't average viewership. This was population. He was saying because both are averaging in roughly the same range for the playoffs (and SCF) and because "the U.S. population is 8x Canada." That meant that the ratio of Canadians watching was 8-to-1 v. USA.

Context.
The show is available on the Internet. You can listen if you’d like. 650 radio. The Sport Market. The host said 8-1 was the ratio. 8 up here watching for every 1 down there. Obviously Canadians will watch more hockey than Americans but 8-1 is a lot higher ratio than expected, no?

Why are posts like this allowed? Fake information.
How do you figure it’s fake? I literally just heard the host say those numbers. I’ll post a link to the show and you can listen.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
In U.S , Red Sox vs. leading Yankees on Fox tonight won't help. Starts at 7:15 pm EST, I think.

Plus on ESPN, Florida plays Texas A&M in some sport.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
American numbers growing, Canadian numbers sinking

even for as bad a market as Florida is, there is bound to be some bandwagon effect from winning a major championship especially when you’re not competing with the NBA team for eyeballs like they were last year.

I do feel feel like the league probably would’ve preferred Edmonton to be the ones in the position to win it all tonight though because there’s always going to be a ceiling on the Panthers while they could theoretically do crazy numbers in Canada with an Oilers clincher

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
In U.S , Red Sox vs. leading Yankees on Fox tonight won't help. Starts at 7:15 pm EST, I think.

Plus on ESPN, Florida plays Texas A&M in some sport.
Well Game 1 had Yankees v Dodgers on FOX at the same time and won by a little so it can happen again.

Good first period, I hope more than 4M are watching this is the US ;)
Maybe in a Game 6 and it's hilarious how similar this finals are with the NBA finals.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
even for as bad a market as Florida is, there is bound to be some bandwagon effect from winning a major championship especially when you’re not competing with the NBA team for eyeballs like they were last year.

I do feel feel like the league probably would’ve preferred Edmonton to be the ones in the position to win it all tonight though because there’s always going to be a ceiling on the Panthers while they could theoretically do crazy numbers in Canada with an Oilers clincher
Its not so much that as the numbers generally get higher the longer a series goes on, even on this side of the border and with two smaller markets. Hell, 6.9 million watched game 7 of Anaheim-New Jersey in 2003 and 5.2 million watched game 7 of Carolina-Edmonton in 2006

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I woould assume it would be the exact opposite case. Canadian fans (especially Oilers fans) are going to tune in, regardless of how the series goes, since hockey is so embedded in Canadian culture. Although I can see increased number due to the simple fact that it would hypothetically be a chance to put an end to the 31 year drought for Canadian teams of winning a championship.

Florida, OTOH, will only see an increase in popularity if the Panthers continue to be perennial cup contenders. This happened in Tampa already, which is only 1/2 the population of the Miami metro area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad