NHL Expansion back on agenda?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I only know what I saw in an interview with his sons, who are hockey enthusiasts. I think there is a change in thinking with expansion. The NHL carefully chose markets that weren't directly competing with the NBA, going back to Nashville and Columbus. Vegas and Seattle were slam dunks, being the primary winter sport team.

Now it's looking at market size, the NHL just lost a top 10 U.S market, after relocating another one to the league's smallest market, north of the border. I think Bettman and the owners want to make a move that in appearance puts the NHL back in the big leagues, still ahead of MLS, behind NBA but not by as big of a margin. I think it's PR, to keep growing value in the NHL brand. You know both markets will be guaranteed All Star games within the first 5 years. Probably have a battle of Texas outdoor game. I don't know if the next round of expansion is good for the game, but it is good for business.

Arizona was a top market, but it doesn’t do you any good if they’re not a draw. They have examples now that you can have them he a draw when they’re good right away or just new and shiny, and those successes are big reasons why so many are interested.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I can't believe Atlanta is getting a third shot. Well, maybe it was just Atlanta Spirit that sucked brutally as owners. But my prediction for Thrashers 2.0 is one of two things, one being either rigged to success so they attract more fans. Two, it's a contract graveyard where the contracts of Darnell Nurse, PLD and Seth Jones end up (Well, Jones I see going to Houston via the expansion draft).

But Houston getting the Aeros back would be nice to see. I think it'll be popular because of low taxes.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Arizona was a top market, but it doesn’t do you any good if they’re not a draw. They have examples now that you can have them he a draw when they’re good right away or just new and shiny, and those successes are big reasons why so many are interested.

Arizona was a top market that was a victim of mismanagement (by both the league and various ownerships) from day one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad