NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
Leger poll says 58% of Canadians will be following not very closely or not at all the Stanley Cup finals.

Only 27% of Americans will be following the Stanley Cup finals.

Not a chance 27% of Americans are following. There's about 250 million Americans aged 18 and up. 27% of that is 67.5 million. So 67.5 million are following yet they can't even get 4 million to watch the games? Try again buddy.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Not really a surprse considering Raptors has a national fan base as opposed to Oilers.

Raptors NBA Finals viewership was incredible. But yup, once the playoffs start they're essentially the "Canada Raptors."

Very different from NHL. Lot of people were missing the boat trying to make it out like the Oilers were Canada's team.

Also, the Raptors playoffs/Finals viewership is very different from their regular season viewership. They're routinely beat by not just the obvious of national NHL broadcasts in Canada, but Raptors national broadcasts in Canada are beaten nightly by regional NHL broadcasts. That's essentially where they compete at viewership wise, their national broadcasts are in the range (but well behind the highs) of regional Canadian NHL broadcasts.

I believe 710k is still the Raptors regular season record viewership up north?

Haven't seen this season but last season when I followed the Top 3-5 Sports Viewership in Canada lists the only time in the regular season the Raptors were on top of the list was their season opener (704k) and a couple nights later on a Monday night (648k), the rest of the season was between 150k to sub-500k or the # wasn't listed because they weren't Top 3-5 in Canada that night.

Outside of the Raptors, NBA regular season national broadcasts in Canada for non-Raptors games were between 30k to 150k that I saw, don't remember seeing any breaking 200k (note: doesn't mean it didn't happen, just means wasn't Top 3-5 that night but generally that meant not breaking 200k.)

NBA isn't as popular as many think in Canada. The Raptors are popular, when they're in the playoffs. In the regular season they're usually losing out to regional NHL broadcasts, and they're way behind the Blue Jays in regular season viewership.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I will be the contrarian and say that it is a little bit surprising that that the 2019 NBA finals outdrew 2024 SCF. And that is because the gulf in popularity between the NHL and NBA in Canada is so vast. It's as vast (on a proportional scale) as the NBA vs NHL in the USA. TO say that it's completely unsurprising that the Raptors could out-rate a Canadian team in the SCF is to underrate that gulf.

Regular season Oilers games on the 2nd game of a HNIC double header (10 pm est starts) can push a million viewers. That means that a healthy percentage of the audience is coming from outside the Edmonton market. That also blows regular season Raptors games out of the water. Traditionally, regardless of who is playing in the SCF, it draws a strong national audience in Canada (I'm guessing a baseline of 2 million). The NBA finals by comparison do not rate all that well. Someone can correct me but I would imagine a normal NBA finals game in Canada might get 500k?

So with all that, it is rather staggering that the Raptors reached those numbers back in 2019. It was the epitome of people piling onto the bandwagon in its maximum expression. It can be explained in part because there are probably millions of people who don't give hoot about the NBA for the most part, but when asked will say that their favorite team is the Raptors. So even though these are dormant fans, they will wake up for something like the finals. The Oilers do not have that. There is a much higher baseline of Canadian NHL fans who are active (ie non casuals) during the time leading up to the finals, and less of the dormant crowd. To the extent that there are dormant fans, they are spread out across the 7 Canadian teams so Edmonton doesn't get the boost. Furthermore many of the non-casuals will drop off once their team is eliminated.

Reactions: torontoblood

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
-CANADA avg viewership (English only)-

Game 2
Oilers-Panthers: 2.884M
-SN: 1.594M
--CBC: 1.061M
---Citytv: 229k
Forgot to ask previously
How many CDN viewers are watching the ABC feed, as have the option of the 3 you listed (for English) or the ABC (ESPN) feed in Canada.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Forgot to ask previously
How many CDN viewers are watching the ABC feed, as have the option of the 3 tou listed (for English) or the ABC (ESPN) feed in Canada.
CITYtv is available on my cable outlets and OTA in

1718383896660.png

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I will be the contrarian and say that it is a little bit surprising that that the 2019 NBA finals outdrew 2024 SCF. And that is because the gulf in popularity between the NHL and NBA in Canada is so vast. It's as vast (on a proportional scale) as the NBA vs NHL in the USA. TO say that it's completely unsurprising that the Raptors could out-rate a Canadian team in the SCF is to underrate that gulf.

Regular season Oilers games on the 2nd game of a HNIC double header (10 pm est starts) can push a million viewers. That means that a healthy percentage of the audience is coming from outside the Edmonton market. That also blows regular season Raptors games out of the water. Traditionally, regardless of who is playing in the SCF, it draws a strong national audience in Canada (I'm guessing a baseline of 2 million). The NBA finals by comparison do not rate all that well. Someone can correct me but I would imagine a normal NBA finals game in Canada might get 500k?

So with all that, it is rather staggering that the Raptors reached those numbers back in 2019. It was the epitome of people piling onto the bandwagon in its maximum expression. It can be explained in part because there are probably millions of people who don't give hoot about the NBA for the most part, but when asked will say that their favorite team is the Raptors. So even though these are dormant fans, they will wake up for something like the finals. The Oilers do not have that. There is a much higher baseline of Canadian NHL fans who are active (ie non casuals) during the time leading up to the finals, and less of the dormant crowd. To the extent that there are dormant fans, they are spread out across the 7 Canadian teams so Edmonton doesn't get the boost. Furthermore many of the non-casuals will drop off once their team is eliminated.

I think you are underestimating the growth and potential the NBA has in Canada especially how much the demographics have shifted and more players are being drafted from Canada. I believe the NBA eventually puts a 2nd team in next 20 years and there is interest there (money will be an issue, but the potential revenue is there too)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Raptors NBA Finals viewership was incredible. But yup, once the playoffs start they're essentially the "Canada Raptors."

Very different from NHL. Lot of people were missing the boat trying to make it out like the Oilers were Canada's team.

Also, the Raptors playoffs/Finals viewership is very different from their regular season viewership. They're routinely beat by not just the obvious of national NHL broadcasts in Canada, but Raptors national broadcasts in Canada are beaten nightly by regional NHL broadcasts. That's essentially where they compete at viewership wise, their national broadcasts are in the range (but well behind the highs) of regional Canadian NHL broadcasts.

Haven't seen this season but last season when I followed the Top 3-5 Sports Viewership in Canada lists the only time in the regular season the Raptors were on top of the list was their season opener (704k) and a couple nights later on a Monday night (648k), the rest of the season was between 150k to sub-500k or the # wasn't listed because they weren't Top 3-5 in Canada that night.

Outside of the Raptors, NBA regular season national broadcasts in Canada for non-Raptors games were between 30k to 150k that I saw, don't remember seeing any breaking 200k (note: doesn't mean it didn't happen, just means wasn't Top 3-5 that night but generally that meant not breaking 200k.)

NBA isn't as popular as many think in Canada. The Raptors are popular, when they're in the playoffs. In the regular season they're usually losing out to regional NHL broadcasts, and they're way behind the Blue Jays in regular season viewership.
I would agree with this.
That would be the least surprising thing ever, considering the Golden Horseshoe has over 10 million people. The only teams that would draw better ratings than the 2019 Raptors NBA Finals matches, would be the Leafs (Stanley Cup Finals) or Blue jays (in the World Series).
But the Raptors and Jays will outdraw the Western teams when one is on Sportsnet 1 or whatever. That shouldn't happen. This contract has sucked for the league. They need to get away from Sportsnet otherwise the sport itself will take a hit in the next 10 years.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The NBA finals by comparison do not rate all that well. Someone can correct me but I would imagine a normal NBA finals game in Canada might get 500k?

This year Game 1 did 300k and Game 2 did 276k.

A Canadian Sports Media Analyst posted the complete series #'s for the 2021 Suns-Bucks NBA Finals:

Game 1: 319k (TSN)
Game 2: 363k (TSN)
Game 3: 291k (SN)
Game 4: 417k (TSN)
Game 5: 343k (TSN)
Game 6: 425k (SN)

In line with what I've seen over the years. Rarely any games break 500k. A couple Game 6's have and Game 7's can and I've seen them break 1.0M.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Forgot to ask previously
How many CDN viewers are watching the ABC feed, as have the option of the 3 you listed (for English) or the ABC (ESPN) feed in Canada.

Citytv shows the ABC feed.

... Nevermind, Fenway answered it.

Hence the question mark, I looked further into this and it was the record, then was beat by a 774k season opener, and I found a Sportsnet PR release saying 890k is the "2nd most-watched Raptors regular season game on SN ever." For whatever that is worth. Rare Raptors regular season games break 500k, I know that. Looks like 700-900k is best they can do in special circumstances (covid return game, season openers) but even when there's hype they usually do in their same regular season range.

Like this seasons much-hyped Nick Nurse' first game back/return to Toronto with the Sixers that did 349k. At the same time 1.753M were watching HNIC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Thursday’s Panthers-Oilers NHL Stanley Cup Final Game 3 averaged a 1.8 rating and 3.4 million viewers on ABC, up 31% in ratings and 25% in viewership from Golden Knights-Panthers on TNT, TBS and truTV last year (1.4, 2.7M), but down 18% in both measures from Avalanche-Lightning in 2022 (2.2, 4.1M). The Panthers’ win trails only 2022 as the most-watched Game 3 of a Cup Final since 2018. Going back further, it ranks as the third-most watched Game 3 in the past nine years. It also ranks as the most-watched Game 3 involving a Canadian team in the past 30 years, surpassing Canucks-Bruins on Versus in 2011 (2.8M).

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
This year Game 1 did 300k and Game 2 did 276k.

A Canadian Sports Media Analyst posted the complete series #'s for the 2021 Suns-Bucks NBA Finals:

Game 1: 319k (TSN)
Game 2: 363k (TSN)
Game 3: 291k (SN)
Game 4: 417k (TSN)
Game 5: 343k (TSN)
Game 6: 425k (SN)

In line with what I've seen over the years. Rarely any games break 500k. A couple Game 6's have and Game 7's can and I've seen them break 1.0M.
Though there is a very vocal contingent in this sub that downright refuses to do so, its always better to look at multi-year trends/data than overreact to one large data point.

Non Raptors NBA games are barely a footnote in Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad