NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Kids enrolling in hockey is growing so much in the US that I don't see a problem with the NHL being watered down.
USHL/NCAA programs are infinitely better than they were 20 years ago so the talent pool overall is getting deeper
Sincerely,

A 49 year old Canadian
Two very good points. 👍

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
When this fails, at least the logic follows that it will go to a Canadian city, and we maybe get the Nordiques back

Atlanta —-> Calgary
Atlanta —-> Winnipeg
Atlanta —-> Quebec City?

Reactions: KeydGV21

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
How many teams do we need f***ing 40? How does Canada only have 7.

Don't complain! California has a larger population than Canada and they only have 3.

(kidding. I mean it's true but I don't think California needs more teams)

Seriously though. I don't care about talent dilution but 32 teams is more than enough. You barely see your team play some other conference teams as it is. And the season is already too long.

But I'm sure there's plenty of owners drooling over those expansion fees...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'd rather see a market get a chance that hasn't had a team already. Have nothing against Atlanta as a city, but don't want to see the league replace what hasn't worked in the past.

That said, won't complain if Atlanta gets the team either.

Edit: thinking about it more, I'm also likely under-valuing growth in the sport in the South. I don't have a good sense of hockeys popularity in Georgia

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Kids enrolling in hockey is growing so much in the US that I don't see a problem with the NHL being watered down.
USHL/NCAA programs are infinitely better than they were 20 years ago so the talent pool overall is getting deeper
Sincerely,

A 49 year old Canadian
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. There's no telling that in 25 years if Atlanta of all places won't produce the single best player the USA has ever had because they got a new team in a few years. By the time his career is over he is some 700 goal stud who skates like McDavid and shoots like Ovechkin it's because he picked up a stick instead of a football

It's only good for the sport if that happens

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It’s more likely to be another Nashville or Dallas. It’s a different city than it was and the circumstances are different, too, as other have explained better than I could.

Yeah there never used to be garbage teams at the bottom of the league when there were 20 teams…
Well, technically, there were never 20 teams in the NHL. They went straight From 17 to 21 when they added the WHA teams.

But yeah, there were sucky teams back then. The Leafs were one of them. But it’s possible that fans didn’t notice as much given that 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. There's no telling that in 25 years if Atlanta of all places won't produce the single best player the USA has ever had. Some 700 goal stud who skates like McDavid and shoots like Ovechkin it's because he picked up a stick instead of a football

It's good for the sport if that happens
So how old is he now......the superstar kid that picked up a stick instead of a football because the Atalanta Thrashers had team in his hometown?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
so in 10 years will this team be relocating to Quebec City or Hamilton?
The last ballyhooed Canadian expansion/relocation is currently 1st in their conference and badly filling their already almost league-smallest arena.

No more Canadian niche markets

How many teams do we need f***ing 40? How does Canada only have 7.
Because they got Winnipeg who leads the league and can’t even fill out their small arena

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
If you don't like the product the NHL is putting out, just stop watching it and move on.
The schedules are a shit show already, don’t need to complicate it more. Let’s be honest, the NHL just wants another distraction to hide the horrors of the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad