NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
He tried different things to make a light bulb though, not the same thing over and over again.
Indeed he did, but the goal was the same: Creating a light source that didn't require a flame and wax.

The goal here too is the same: Having a stable NHL franchise in Atlanta. Rather than having the team located between 30mi and 50mi from the majority of fans, the home arena is expected to be within 20mi of hockey fans in the area. In addition to that, many players also lived in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, with Kovalchuk being one of a few who lived inside the city limits.

Now, the idea of "doing the same thing and expecting a different result", as so many of the naysayers like to call this courtship between Atlanta and the NHL, would be trying to put the team downtown yet again. This is why your example is wrong.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
If anyone who's never been to Atlanta wants to know why the plan is for a new suburban arena development, this article perfectly explains why downtown Atlanta is no longer the center of attention in the metro area. It's a ghost town of abandoned office space and not much else, except for Mercedes-Benz Stadium, State Farm Arena, and a few tourist destinations. There's no vibrant nightlife, restaurants, neighborhoods, or really anything.

paywall help?
I gotchu fam. Or, rather, archive.org has you.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
100% no way greater vancouver region could support 2 teams. An NBA team, maybe, even that is highly suspect with the fairweather fans.
Not only that, its bad enough NBA players dont want to come to Toronto, good luck getting them to come to Vancouver.

Most of those guys are always bitching about how cold it is up here, yet Toronto is a snowballs toss from Chicago Philly NYC etc. Its pathetic. Kawhi bitched about the weather at the all-star break when he was up here. Lou Williams said it was like playing overseas in Toronto, good riddance. Its Toronto, not Antarctica.

Reactions: HolyCrap

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The only teams affected by lack of quality players are the teams that choose to have bad teams
:huh:

So what you are trying to tell us is that there is an infinite pool of high quality NHL calibre players who arent in the league because there arent enough teams to hold them all?

Ok.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
At the end of the day it will take an owner with deep pockets and a long term plan. The guys who bought the Thrashers only wanted the arena and basketball club. The NHL needs to keep this in mind.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

So what you are trying to tell us is that there is an infinite pool of high quality NHL calibre players who arent in the league because there arent enough teams to hold them all?

Ok.
Are you currently unhappy when you watch NHL games? Which teams do you think are hurt by not enough quality players? And are those teams because they made conscious decisions that led them to that point, or a victim of circumstance?

Only he really doesn't. The downtown location was never the issue. In fact, it was a great location because of Marta.

This is going to fail, because it is going to be in a bad location with no public transportation and an hour from the airport.
Oh, man. Tell me you don't understand the city at all without telling me.

Dec 29, 2004
Are you currently unhappy when you watch NHL games? Which teams do you think are hurt by not enough quality players? And are those teams because they made conscious decisions that led them to that point, or a victim of circumstance?

Oh, man. Tell me you don't understand the city at all without telling me.
I have lived here for 50 years. How about you?

Reactions: Voight

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I have lived here for 50 years. How about you?
My whole life. It's in a perfect location for all metro ATL (e the large majority of the cities population AND money AND families AND youth AND proximity to adulty hockey leagues AND youth programs AND ice rinks. I'm guessing you're ITP.

Reactions: GreenHornet

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada

Ok.
The average fan is "cheer when puck goes in, boo when penalty is called" fans, but their credit cards clear. Hardcore aficianados of the finer points of hockey are certainly welcomed, but not particularly desired, by the NHL.

Reactions: dj4aces

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My whole life. It's in a perfect location for all metro ATL (e the large majority of the cities population AND money AND families AND youth AND proximity to adulty hockey leagues AND youth programs AND ice rinks. I'm guessing you're ITP.
lol proximity to beer league hockey.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The average fan is "cheer when puck goes in, boo when penalty is called" fans, but their credit cards clear. Hardcore aficianados of the finer points of hockey are certainly welcomed, but not particularly desired, by the NHL.
They thought Winnipeg would be ok with the former, ignoring they lack the latter.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

There are 2-3 players on most every team that probably should be playing in the AHL, but are forced onto an NHL roster because there isn't enough quality talent out there to fill those spots. Adding more teams means that number will grow.

I have an idea, why don't we grow the number of teams to 40? How about 50? When does enough become enough?

Reactions: Voight

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
There are 2-3 players on most every team that probably should be playing in the AHL, but are forced onto an NHL roster because there isn't enough quality talent out there to fill those spots. Adding more teams means that number will grow.

I have an idea, why don't we grow the number of teams to 40? How about 50? When does enough become enough?
When there's an equal number of US teams as the other major sports leagues who, I'm sure by pure coincidence and no correlation at all, rake in way more $$$. You're really concerned over the last 2 guys on an active roster that get single digit minutes in a game versus 1+ billion expansion fee and staking a team in the largest city and business hub in the southeast. Wild.

Oof, Has zero to do with where a rink should be located.
Oof, thinking these guys don't have families, or that these young players won't want to go to an NHL game, and that there's no correlation with hockey interest in the area with amount of interest in attending an NHL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad