NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The Thrashers only made the playoffs once in their entire existence, and got swept. There was never a rebuild or it was a constant rebuild...however you want to look at it.
I wanna say the closest the Thrashers got to "rebuilding" was in 2010-2011, when the team went out and acquired Byfuglien and Ladd from Chicago, Kane was starting to come into his own, and Burmistrov was making a little noise. I remember how excited Byfuglien was to come to Atlanta, posing with the Cup in a Thrashers sweater that looked a little small for him. Good times.

Before that? Well, you can't build anything on a foundation made of quicksand. Sure, there was Kovalchuk and Hossa... and after that, a junk drawer full of spare parts and mismatched screws. Just like my house growing up.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I wanna say the closest the Thrashers got to "rebuilding" was in 2010-2011, when the team went out and acquired Byfuglien and Ladd from Chicago, Kane was starting to come into his own, and Burmistrov was making a little noise. I remember how excited Byfuglien was to come to Atlanta, posing with the Cup in a Thrashers sweater that looked a little small for him. Good times.

Before that? Well, you can't build anything on a foundation made of quicksand. Sure, there was Kovalchuk and Hossa... and after that, a junk drawer full of spare parts and mismatched screws. Just like my house growing up.
I think there was alot of optimism in the 2002-2004 era where we got Shawn Mceachern, Savard, Kozlov, Steve Rucchin, Byron Dafoe, and had an emerging Kovy and Heatley going.

I think had it not been for the Snyder Crash we would have made the playoffs in 2003 which would have changed the trajectory of the team and NHL history

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What we've seen here the last three pages or so is a variation of a classic debating tactic known as Gish galloping. ...

Gish gallop - Wikipedia.
So you're saying the HFBoards membership at large is far more strategically sophisticated than they are typically given credit for. Give me a moment to digest that ... 🤢

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
Nope...saying that ownership outwardly didn't want the team, sued eachother, kept the team at the cap floor, and as soon as they were legally able, sold the team.

There's 30 pages discussing this stuff...are you reading any of it??

In diagonal gotta admit.. I'm mostly speaking from personnal feelings. I remember back in the days when my family was splitting the season tickets like we do every year, few cared about the Thrashers and the Coyotes, hence my previous comment.

Anyway, good for you if you get your team back.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Bettman didn't seem to interested in expansion at this point when he talked about it last weekend so I doubt anything is on the horizon. Probably more wishful thinking by die hard fans more than anything.
I would argue that Bettman sounded more like he was losing his patience, not that he was disinterested. For almost a year now, the same cities would come up in expansion talks from Bettman: SLC, ATL, HOU, and QC. Now, out of nowhere, he also mentions having talked to KC (not a huge surprise), Cincinnati (a raised eyebrow, to be sure) and Omaha (like... really? Omaha?).

Bettman, in this way, gave the media more leads to chase down (think of it as how one would tease a dog by fake-throwing a ball for them to chase) as well as probably inspiring prospective owners in other places to legitimately reach out, show interest, and show him the money. In this way, it also gives the league a chance to figure out what (if anything) to do about Arizona.

Just a little food for thought, and perhaps my own perspective on that press conference at the All Star Game.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Bettman didn't seem to interested in expansion at this point when he talked about it last weekend so I doubt anything is on the horizon. Probably more wishful thinking by die hard fans more than anything.
As you hopefully saw throughout this thread, the arena that has gotten greenlit is contingent upon an NHL team anchoring it. Since it's moving forward, there are reasons for optimism.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
ATL

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 4

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Which is likely because, as you pointed out, the Hawks only sell out 100% of their arena, and not 200%.
The Atlanta Hawks, not playing well this season, have suddenly failed to sell out two or three recent home games.

Capacity is over 17,000 but many games reported are over 18,000. But suddenly, a few crowds in the 15,000+ to 16,000+ range. Will likely be lower next year when they inevitably miss this year's playoffs

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Nope...saying that ownership outwardly didn't want the team, sued eachother, kept the team at the cap floor, and as soon as they were legally able, sold the team.

There's 30 pages discussing this stuff...are you reading any of it??

Of course he/she is not. They just want to talk shit and not listen to anything at all about the situation because they know it all.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
From the AJC this am

What you need to know about Forsyth’s Gathering and NHL talks
Proposed $390 million subsidy package contingent on developer landing an expansion hockey team.
By Zachary Hansen - [email protected]
DEVELOPMENT

After months of silence on the issue of potential public subsidies, Forsyth County taxpayers now know a potential amount of public funds commissioners could devote to an ambitious plan to bring pro hockey and a huge mixed-use community to a site along Ga. 400.

The Gathering at South Forsyth team envisions a $700 million arena near Cumming surrounded by rows of apartments, retail, offices, hotels and parking decks. The project will likely cost more than $2 billion, including the arena. But that doesn’t include the substantial cost to the developer to establish a pro hockey franchise, assuming the NHL looks to expand.

Forsyth leaders have signaled they’re prepared to chip in $390 million of public funds to help finance the endeavor on one condition — landing an expansion franchise before getting any taxpayer money. I believe since the latest news is that the county has greenlit construction that the NHL has conveyed to the county/Krause that a team will be awarded and we are pending a formal announcement

Those negotiations are ongoing, with no binding paperwork in place. Here’s what you need to know as commissioners consider the proposal:

Who is the developer?
Car dealership magnate Vernon Krause. He’s the CEO of Krause Auto Group, which operates 18 car dealerships with more than 1,000 employees across the Southeast.

Who else is on the development team?
The Gathering team includes sports advisory Stafford Sports, law firms Greenberg Traurig and Dovin Ficken, planners from the firms of Nelson Worldwide and SCI Architects, and the U.S. Sports and Entertainment Development Advisory Practice of the real estate services giant JLL. Frank Ferrara, a former NFL finance director, was tapped last year as the Gathering’s senior project executive. Ferrara also led the effort to build Mullett Arena at Arizona State University, the temporary home of the NHL’s Arizona Coyotes.

Does Krause have an NHL franchise?
No. At least not yet. The Gathering developers have discussed seeking an NHL expansion team.

What would it take to land an NHL franchise?
Pro hockey leadership would need to pursue expanding beyond the league’s 32-team roster. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman recently said, “We don’t have expansion on the agenda right now,” but Atlanta is on the shortlist of cities seen as contenders if the league chooses to add teams. Other top options include Houston, Salt Lake City and Quebec City, Canada. Lamar Wakefield, an executive with Nelson, said it would take more than $1 billion to set up an expansion franchise.

Could an existing hockey franchise relocate?
Potentially. The Coyotes are currently playing at Arizona State after voters in a Phoenix suburb rejected a proposal to use taxpayer funds to build a new arena last May. However, the Gathering team has said it’s unlikely the Coyotes would move east and have said they’re targeting expansion.

Does Krause have any other investors?
Krause’s team has declined to disclose any other potential project investors. Wakefield said the team would leverage the mixed-use aspects of the development to raise some of the needed funds.

Where is the project site?
Originally zoned for a mall that never came to fruition, the 84-acre property is along Union Hill Road near Ga. 400 in the southeastern Forsyth. Krause paid $52 million to buy the land in August 2022.

What would the project include?
The most recent plans consist of an 18,700-seat arena surrounded by roughly 1 million square feet of office space, 400,000 square feet of retail space, a community center, a fire station and a sheriff’s precinct. The site plan also includes 1,800 apartments, 150 single-family homes and multiple hotels with up to 500 rooms. Total on-site parking could be up to 8,780 spaces, most of it in decks.

What would Forsyth County provide?
Current negotiations start with the county funding half of the arena’s construction cost, a $350 million subsidy. The county could also provide $40 million to build one of the project’s parking decks. All public financing is contingent upon the NHL awarding an expansion team ahead of time, officials said.

How does this compare to other sports-related developments?
The Atlanta Braves received $300 million from Cobb County in 2013 when the team moved from downtown Atlanta to the Battery and Truist Park. State and local taxpayers contributed $200 million in bonds to Mercedes-Benz Stadium, backed by hotel-motel tax revenue. Hundreds of millions of additional dollars from the same tax will go toward the stadium over a total of 30 years. Atlanta also contributed $142.5 million to State Farm Arena’s renovation in 2016.

What would be built if the NHL does not pick the Gathering for expansion?
That remains unclear, but the Gathering team would be able to move forward with their plans — just without the substantial subsidies outlined in the agreement. The Gathering team has previously said an 18,000-plus seat arena would be viable even without an anchoring sports team, but it would have to compete with other large venues for concerts and events.
If the NHL comes, would Forsyth need to do anything else?
Yes, there are a few critical hurdles the county would need to clear with both the General Assembly and Forsyth voters. A majority of county voters would have to grant the county certain redevelopment powers through a referendum, allowing the county to create a Tax Allocation District. The state Legislature would also have to establish an arena authority and increase For-syth’s hotel-motel tax collections to 8% from 5%. Without those, the project “becomes extraordinarily challenging and essentially unfeasible,” County Attorney Ken Jarrard said.

What would be the economic impact?

The county commissioned an economic impact report from Ernst & Young, which found the entire Gathering project would generate $2.6 billion in economic impact, while the project would create nearly 8,750 permanent jobs. Office jobs in the speculative buildings make up the largest portion of that forecast job figure — 5,261. Corporate tenants would be the source of those workers, but there’s also no guarantee the buildings would fully lease or that those jobs would be net new ones to the region. Roughly 35% of the total forecast workers are expected to be Forsyth residents. Experts who analyze stadium and arena deals generally find they do not live up to the economic and job-creation promises made to win public funding.

Would the county get any revenue from arena events?
Yes, Forsyth would get $1 for every event ticket sold for the arena’s first five years. After that, the revenue would periodically increase until reaching $2.50 per ticket after 16 years. A NHL franchise would also have to pay $2 million a year to lease the arena and wouldn’t be able to leave or relocate until all arena-related debt is settled. Stadium-related revenue would first go to the county’s debt services, after which it could fund any county-related activity.

How long will it take to build the Gathering?

The proposal is to build the project across four phases, fully completing it in 2033.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Forsyth leaders have signaled they’re prepared to chip in $390 million of public funds to help finance the endeavor on one condition — landing an expansion franchise before getting any taxpayer money. I believe since the latest news is that the county has greenlit construction that the NHL has conveyed to the county/Krause that a team will be awarded and we are pending a formal announcement

I mean... that red is really hard to read on the dark background (the only way I can read most sites these days is in dark mode -- thanks, Type 1 Diabetes, you suck), so I removed the formatting for this response... but I do think that take jumps to conclusions a bit.

While Krause has met with the league several times, and even the Forsyth commissioners have visited the league offices and toured the Isles home arena (to get an idea what to expect from the proposal here), assuming the league has actually approved anything pending a formal application process/announcement is only setting yourself up for heartbreak if that dream doesn't happen.

As much as I'd like to believe the Atlanta market is in the top-two on the list of expansion candidates, I'm not gonna believe that til I see a Gary Bettman press release stating the league is awarding a shiny new franchise to Atlanta.

Edit: Removed redundant paragraphs; now that I've sobered up a little, I gave the article another read.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

Dec 29, 2004
It took Thomas Edison 1000 attempts before he invented the first successful light bulb. He would later say, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

If it were up to some hockey fans, we would all still be living in the dark.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If anyone who's never been to Atlanta wants to know why the plan is for a new suburban arena development, this article perfectly explains why downtown Atlanta is no longer the center of attention in the metro area. It's a ghost town of abandoned office space and not much else, except for Mercedes-Benz Stadium, State Farm Arena, and a few tourist destinations. There's no vibrant nightlife, restaurants, neighborhoods, or really anything.

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If anyone who's never been to Atlanta wants to know why the plan is for a new suburban arena development, this article perfectly explains why downtown Atlanta is no longer the center of attention in the metro area. It's a ghost town of abandoned office space and not much else, except for Mercedes-Benz Stadium, State Farm Arena, and a few tourist destinations. There's no vibrant nightlife, restaurants, neighborhoods, or really anything.

paywall help?

BB79

Apr 30, 2011

there's also this-

"With a crime rate of 48 per one thousand residents, Atlanta has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities."

total Crime Index

(100 is safest)

Safer than 3% of U.S. neighborhoods.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
there's also this-

"With a crime rate of 48 per one thousand residents, Atlanta has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities."

total Crime Index

(100 is safest)

Safer than 3% of U.S. neighborhoods.

No surprise. It's practically a point of pride by the people who wear it as a badge of honor that they live in the city.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It took Thomas Edison 1000 attempts before he invented the first successful light bulb. He would later say, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

If it were up to some hockey fans, we would all still be living in the dark.

He tried different things to make a light bulb though, not the same thing over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad