NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Their last arena only sat 16k. Their current only seats 17k. I'm guessing the next arena will be maybe 18k?

They had two NHL franchises and both left within ten years due to a lack of support. In case you weren't aware. You seem to not acknowledge the failures.
You were saying that Atlanta is a bad sports town. Still trying to figure out why. Losing a team because the owner went bankrupt 45 years ago isn’t why.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'd much rather see thr NHL explore a new market like Houston or SLC rather than return to Atlanta for a third kick at the can.

Been saying for years they should've at least considered moving Arizona across the border to a neighboring state even temporarily. Much better than their ham-fisted "we'll play in a college arena because hey, this market is gonna work, we promise" approach. :help:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
They lost two NHL teams. Why do you think they would be good for a third?
Now, in addition to making things up, you forgot how to read through a thread? Copy/paste from a few pages ago…

First off, ownership has a ton to do with putting butts in the seats. Imagine if the owners of your favorite team outwardly admits they don't want them, then they all sue each other and keeps the team near the cap floor. Then, in turn, over their entire existence as a team, makes the playoffs only one time and never won a game.

Second, Atlanta has changed a TON. Since the Thrashers moved in 2011, the Atlanta MSA has grown by about 1.5 million people, and it continues to grow. It's annual growth rate over the last 30 years is a little over 2%. With the people, the corporations (and their wallets) have followed. Since 2011, Mercedes, Norfolk Southern, Microsoft, Google, Papa Johns and others have planted a hub or HQ here. It's the 3rd largest home to Fortune 500 HQ's in the US. Atlanta has leaped over Philly to be the 8th largest market in the US and is on pace to jump over DC in the next 5-10 years.

Third, the fans supporting the other teams provides a good case study for a potential NHL team. Since the Braves moved to the burbs, their attendance has gone up. Since the Thrashers moved, the Hawks (who continues to suck) attendance has been generally sellouts. The MLS team has set soccer attendance records and US Soccer moved their HQ here. College football continues to be huge and the NCAA moved the CFB Hall of Fame here.

If I'm some rich billionaire or work with the NHL, I'd want to be a part of all that.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Now, in addition to making things up, you forgot how to read through a thread? Copy/paste from a few pages ago…

First off, ownership has a ton to do with putting butts in the seats. Imagine if the owners of your favorite team outwardly admits they don't want them, then they all sue each other and keeps the team near the cap floor. Then, in turn, over their entire existence as a team, makes the playoffs only one time and never won a game.

Second, Atlanta has changed a TON. Since the Thrashers moved in 2011, the Atlanta MSA has grown by about 1.5 million people, and it continues to grow. It's annual growth rate over the last 30 years is a little over 2%. With the people, the corporations (and their wallets) have followed. Since 2011, Mercedes, Norfolk Southern, Microsoft, Google, Papa Johns and others have planted a hub or HQ here. It's the 3rd largest home to Fortune 500 HQ's in the US. Atlanta has leaped over Philly to be the 8th largest market in the US and is on pace to jump over DC in the next 5-10 years.

Third, the fans supporting the other teams provides a good case study for a potential NHL team. Since the Braves moved to the burbs, their attendance has gone up. Since the Thrashers moved, the Hawks (who continues to suck) attendance has been generally sellouts. The MLS team has set soccer attendance records and US Soccer moved their HQ here. College football continues to be huge and the NCAA moved the CFB Hall of Fame here.

If I'm some rich billionaire or work with the NHL, I'd want to be a part of all that.
Where's the demand for an NHL franchise in Atlanta? HFBoards? There has to be demand there in the first place for any of that to even matter.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Where's the demand for an NHL franchise in Atlanta? HFBoards? There has to be demand there in the first place for any of that to even matter.
The majority of hockey fans in the Atlanta metropolitan area are located north of the city, across an area that includes Cobb, Cherokee, Fulton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, and Hall counties. Atlanta is home to one of the largest rec leagues in the country by participation, complete with a waiting list.

The real question is, how come you can't use Google to find these things for yourself?

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Because the information was so spoon fed to you that I learned it backwards just trying to figure out if you're trolling on purpose or just managing to come off that way.

What is with your militant rage about another city getting an NHL franchise just because some f***ed up situations broke their last arrangement? On top of all the growth you've been made aware of, why are you so personally offended by the idea?
I'm not raging at all nor am I offended. I just think other cities should be considered before Atlanta because they've already failed twice to support a team. We already have the Coyotes. We don't need another one. Unless perhaps if they're willing to take the Coyotes.

And yes, I know they don't want the Coyotes. They want the Vegas treatment, though no one is ever getting the Vegas treatment again.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But this third owner isn't going to have the same problem somehow?

Well unless the third owner's real estate holdings suddenly go pear shaped, or the third owner (who's paying a billion dollars for this franchise) suddenly decides he only wants the arena and the basketball team and has no interest in having a hockey team, no, the third owner isn't going to have the same problem.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well unless the third owner's real estate holdings suddenly go pear shaped, or the third owner (who's paying a billion dollars for this franchise) suddenly decides he only wants the arena and the basketball team and has no interest in having a hockey team, no, the third owner isn't going to have the same problem.
lol this, it's been spelled out over and over.

Goddamn, how is this where this thread is right now?

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Or he gets in trouble with the Feds and has to sell the team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Or he gets in trouble with the Feds and has to sell the team.

Yeah or if his minority owner plots to overthrow him by hiring some forest fairies to kidnap him and drag him off into their realm and since they can't locate him he's forced to forfeit ownership of the team to aforementioned minority owner who moves them to Nunavut.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Or the team sucks and no one shows up to the games and they get moved to Phoenix after the Coyotes leave to Utah.

Which is likely because, as you pointed out, the Hawks only sell out 100% of their arena, and not 200%.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
But this third owner isn't going to have the same problem somehow?
That's called an unknown variable.

If I'm part of a group paying north of $1bn to build an mixed-use development with a ~19k seat arena as its centerpiece, plus another $1bn for a NHL franchise, I'm goind to do everything in my power to ensure its success. If I have no friggin' clue what the hell I'm doing, I'm going to surround myself with people who do. But there's no way I'm the prospective owner, or anyone involved in their group.

No matter how much money an owner puts up, or how committed they say they are, there's always a chance they're not the type of person they claim to be. But the simple fact here is, the quality of ownership is well outside fan control. The fans in a market don't choose the team's owner.

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
lol this, it's been spelled out over and over.

Goddamn, how is this where this thread is right now?
What we've seen here the last three pages or so is a variation of a classic debating tactic known as Gish galloping. In this case, instead of using an overwhelming number of specious or outright false arguments, the tedious troll from California is using multiple variations on two basic specious or outright false arguments (in this case, Atlanta's hockey history and it's current state as a sports town) and floods this thread with them.

Gish gallop - Wikipedia.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
That's called an unknown variable.

If I'm part of a group paying north of $1bn to build an mixed-use development with a ~19k seat arena as its centerpiece, plus another $1bn for a NHL franchise, I'm goind to do everything in my power to ensure its success. If I have no friggin' clue what the hell I'm doing, I'm going to surround myself with people who do. But there's no way I'm the prospective owner, or anyone involved in their group.

No matter how much money an owner puts up, or how committed they say they are, there's always a chance they're not the type of person they claim to be. But the simple fact here is, the quality of ownership is well outside fan control. The fans in a market don't choose the team's owner.
That's why I asked about demand.

And around and around we go
If you're going to repeat points, I'll repeat counterpoints. Or we can just agree to drop it. I've been to a lot of "sell out" games for the Kings where the lower bowl was largely empty.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad