League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I still predict the Panthers going back to the finals this year. I don’t think they’ll win it, but I could see them getting back there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I would bet on either of last year's ECF teams at this point. Hard to figure who has done much to make the jump into that level. NJD could get there with a big year and further progression from their many skilled younger players. But it seems like a stretch. And certainly Florida remains the team to beat despite their blueline losses.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I would bet on either of last year's ECF teams at this point. Hard to figure who has done much to make the jump into that level. NJD could get there with a big year and further progression from their many skilled younger players. But it seems like a stretch. And certainly Florida remains the team to beat despite their blueline losses.
If I had to put money on the finals this year I’d probably predict a rematch, with Edmonton winning this time

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021

It's one game but it is funny that Seattle bet so much on Stephenson.
He benefited from very good linemates in Vegas, not to mention fantastic structure / system.

He won't get that playing for Seattle.

But you know what he and Bura have that the rest of our Caps don't? Twice as many Stanley Cup rings! Which is kind of amusing - to me at least.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nylander and Panarin have zero bearing on Shesty’s next deal.

Friedman reported that Shesterkin wants to be the highest paid player on the Rangers roster, so Panarin -contract is definitely going to have bearing on that contract. I think Panarin's contract is 11.6m AAV so doubt he'll get there but that seems to be the mark for him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman reported that Shesterkin wants to be the highest paid player on the Rangers roster, so Panarin -contract is definitely going to have bearing on that contract. I think Panarin's contract is 11.6m AAV so doubt he'll get there but that seems to be the mark for him.

I’ll repeat…Cap % of other players signed in other years at other positions is irrelevant.

Great he wants to be the highest paid Ranger. Noble guy.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I made my argument and this is getting pointless so moving on.

Ullmark getting the same AAV as Swayman. Interesting move to sign him already without playing a game there.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Let me clarify, comparing % of team cap of players signed a year or years ago and at different positions is irrelevant.
Friedman brought up Panarins cap hit last night when discussing Shesterkin.

Let me clarify, of course a teammates cap hit is relevant. Especially when you are better than that teammate.

Edit: I see @trick9 already pointed this out and you couldn't take the loss.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman brought up Panarins cap hit last night when discussing Shesterkin.

Let me clarify, of course a teammates cap hit is relevant. Especially when you are better than that teammate.

Edit: I see @trick9 already pointed this out and you couldn't take the loss.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No loss for me in others pointing out irrelevant shit like % of cap years ago and comparing other positions to a goalie.

Smoke that loss!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Isn't the whole point of cap percentage that "years ago" doesn't matter?
I’m suggesting negotiations don’t center around % of cap hit comparing a guy signed 5 years ago to a guy today (much less dissimilar positions), so why is that data relevant?

You think his agent is calling up the Rangers and saying “hey now, Panarin, a winger, 5 years ago signed for 14.9% of your cap. We want that ($13.7) or more today for our goalie.”?

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’m suggesting negotiations don’t center around % of cap hit comparing a guy signed 5 years ago to a guy today (much less dissimilar positions), so why is that data relevant?

You think his agent is calling up the Rangers and saying “hey now, Panarin, a winger, 5 years ago signed for 14.9% of your cap. We want that ($13.7) or more today for our goalie.”?
FWIW, I do think GMs are looking at percentage. They may not care what a guy was 5 years ago, but they may say "hey, that's 15% of our cap. if we give you that, we can't keep the guys who score goals at the other end." or something of that sort. And THEN, yeah, his agent might say, "well, you gave Panarin 15% when he signed..." But I don't think it's a key part of the negotiations.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m suggesting negotiations don’t center around % of cap hit comparing a guy signed 5 years ago to a guy today (much less dissimilar positions).

I think it’s well within reason to suggest that agents who believe their client is the best/most valuable player on the team will be referencing cap percentage as a bargaining tool, yes.

It’s a hard cap league where wins matter and if you can argue you’re giving your team more chances to win than anyone else, it has a corresponding value.

Bobrovsky signed in Florida a good while ago for… what, 10m a year for 7 years? Allowing for the fact that they’re still in negotiation (so Igor is setting his bar high) that’s his comparable right there at around like 12% of the cap at the time, all he’s done so far is start negotiations higher like you would.

He’s also doing it as the league pulls out of the pandemic flat cap and starts to grow the cap again, so financials won’t match if you use the past few years anyway as it relates to contract value except in percentage

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
FWIW, I do think GMs are looking at percentage. They may not care what a guy was 5 years ago, but they may say "hey, that's 15% of our cap. if we give you that, we can't keep the guys who score goals at the other end." or something of that sort. And THEN, yeah, his agent might say, "well, you gave Panarin 15% when he signed..." But I don't think it's a key part of the negotiations.
But the player submitted was from 5 years ago, will be 6 by the time this guy draws a penny from his new deal, and it’s a different position.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
But the player submitted was from 5 years ago, will be 6 by the time this guy draws a penny from his new deal, and it’s a different position.
I get it. But that's precisely what makes percentages relevant--they transcend the real numbers. My point is, the team has demonstrated a willingness to spend 15% of the cap--whatever that cap may be--on just one player. So they would have a hard time now making the argument that 15% is too large a share for an individual player--especially arguably the most important single position on the ice.

Reactions: HTFN

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s well within reason to suggest that agents who believe their client is the best/most valuable player on the team will be referencing cap percentage as a bargaining tool, yes.

It’s a hard cap league where wins matter and if you can argue you’re giving your team more chances to win than anyone else, it has a corresponding value.

Bobrovsky signed in Florida a good while ago for… what, 10m a year for 7 years? Allowing for the fact that they’re still in negotiation (so Igor is setting his bar high) that’s his comparable right there at around like 12% of the cap at the time, all he’s done so far is start negotiations higher like you would.

He’s also doing it as the league pulls out of the pandemic flat cap and starts to grow the cap again, so financials won’t match if you use the past few years anyway as it relates to contract value except in percentage
There is a difference in referencing cap % and demanding it with what will be a 6 year gap and with a different position.

Goalies salaries set the goalie market, D set the D market, Forwards set their own by position.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
There is a difference in referencing cap % and demanding it with what will be a 6 year gap and with a different position.

Goalies salaries set the goalie market, D set the D market, Forwards set their own by position.
You keep referencing time and I feel like you’re not grappling with the idea of a percentage.

Again, we can debate whether goalies need to be paid like quarterbacks because we’ve seen journeymen win, but as far as the concept of negotiation goes for the player… what else should he do?

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I get it. But that's precisely what makes percentages relevant--they transcend the real numbers. My point is, the team has demonstrated a willingness to spend 15% of the cap--whatever that cap may be--on just one player. So they would have a hard time now making the argument that 15% is too large a share for an individual player--especially arguably the most important single position on the ice.
Nope, disagree, but we can move on. Their franchise was in a different position 5 years ago.

If I was the Rangers GM and they said we want 13.7mil, because you gave Panarin 14.9% 5 years ago, I’d tell him to take a hike and I’d look to move him.

It’s an absurd negotiating tactic.

Tell you what, when he signs for 14.9% of the cap next year, I’ll come back and admit I was wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad