League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Good move for Habs. They robbed Columbus. Clearly they were desperate. They would have been better off sending him through waivers.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
“Masterful” lol…..let’s see of he can show up and play first….

I mean they bought an asset with cap space/money.

First, Harris fits a need for the Blue Jackets to improve their bottom-pair. But value-wise is he more valuable than Kovacevic who went for a 4th? Propably not much.

Habs are going to be really bad next season, and likely the season after, too. With this trade they get what is likely a high 2nd rounder to take on Laine. He has a long way to get back to being an elite player but where is the downside for the Habs in this deal? At worst they get a flier on a top-6 player. Propably a better lottery ticket to have on your 2nd line than Josh Anderson, Brendan Gallagher or Joel Armia? I find it really hard to believe Habs aren't a better team with Laine on it rather than having one of the aforementioned 3 in their top-6. Even if he doesn't figure it out.

I don't see the downside here... perhaps Laine just can't stay healthy or doesn't figure it out. You still picked up nearly a free 2nd rounder, and it's not like cap space is any kind of issue for the Habs. If he figures it out, you either get a prime-aged star player for free or a prime TDL asset for the 2026 TDL.

Seems like a worthy gamble to me.

Reactions: apparentlyclueless

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean they bought an asset with cap space/money.

First, Harris fits a need for the Blue Jackets to improve their bottom-pair. But value-wise is he more valuable than Kovacevic who went for a 4th? Propably not much.

Habs are going to be really bad next season, and likely the season after, too. With this trade they get what is likely a high 2nd rounder to take on Laine. He has a long way to get back to being an elite player but where is the downside for the Habs in this deal? At worst they get a flier on a top-6 player. Propably a better lottery ticket to have on your 2nd line than Josh Anderson, Brendan Gallagher or Joel Armia? I find it really hard to believe Habs aren't a better team with Laine on it rather than having one of the aforementioned 3 in their top-6. Even if he doesn't figure it out.

I don't see the downside here... perhaps Laine just can't stay healthy or doesn't figure it out. You still picked up nearly a free 2nd rounder, and it's not like cap space is any kind of issue for the Habs. If he figures it out, you either get a prime-aged star player for free or a prime TDL asset for the 2026 TDL.

Seems like a worthy gamble to me.
The downside is Laine folds like a rented chair in the Montreal pressure cooker, ends up back in the assistance program and eventually out of the league…..it’s hardly a stretch that it could go down like that.

If and when he plays well enough and long enough to garner a big return for him in a trade, I’ll agree it was “masterful”.

I mean congrats Montreal on sucking enough and having enough cap space to take on charity projects, but masterful I wouldn’t call them today. They bought a negative asset today for ~$18 mil.

Reactions: PlushMinus

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection

News in August. What a concept. Spicy. Can't see the Oilers matching on Broberg at least if the reported numbers are right. Kane may start on LTIR so maybe they could match both but...probably not.
I Wendy I Wanda I Wonder how these offer sheets work in the long-term re: GM's relations

Do other teams GM's look at STL and CAR (MTL/Kotkaniemi) more skittishly to deal with since they're attempting to poach players or force teams into tough $ decisions
or is it just how big business works in the NHL and everyone understands that's just how it goes these days?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I still don't want to talk about players not being matched to a St. Louis Blues offer sheet...

STL get their guys but not sure that's a playoff team. They're more longer-term adds I guess but we'll see. Not sure either breaks out into top half of the lineup players. Fine value to take the gamble and hopefully this does make other GMs more open to the idea of offer sheeting RFAs.

For the Oilers...a weak blueline gets weaker. They might as well bring back Schultz or Barrie at this point.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
MTL/Laine -- good deal for MTL even though I'm still much lower on their rebuild than others
EDM not matching offer sheets -- probably the smart move for EDM as I'm not sold on broberg especially but Holland really boxed them into a corner
PHI/Johansen -- second rate organization continues to do second rate organization things, I hope the PA really goes hard against them

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The Flyers are assholes for sure, but Johansen is lazy and unmotivated. Not surprised they are trying to terminate his contract.

The stupidest thing was trading for him in the first place.

Edit: looks like they acquired Johansen intending to buy out his contract, but he then went straight to IR so they couldn't buy him out.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I Wendy I Wanda I Wonder how these offer sheets work in the long-term re: GM's relations

Do other teams GM's look at STL and CAR (MTL/Kotkaniemi) more skittishly to deal with since they're attempting to poach players or force teams into tough $ decisions
or is it just how big business works in the NHL and everyone understands that's just how it goes these days?
I wonder if it is more folklore. Probably pisses GM’s off just like when someone gets claimed on waivers. But I don’t think there is any grudge holding. I love what Armstrong said about he would do it to his mother if she was EDM GM. Haha

LOL saw the lowball offers EDM made for Bro/Holloway that led to losing them both

Broberg - 1.1 x 2
Holloway - 1.05 x 3

no wonder they got offer sheets
makes me appreciate what we've had in GMBM more and more
That is crazy. Maybe EDM just didn’t want them and turned into draft picks. I like seeing the offer sheets. More please.

Reactions: PlushMinus

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Is it obvious right now that Broberg is eons better than Christian Djoos showed in the 2018 Cup run? He was solid for us in multiple series playing protected minutes - didn’t look out of place in pressure games. But offering Djoos the 2018 equivalent of $4.5 million for a couple of years based on that showing would not have worked out for anyone

Reactions: Jags and qc14

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
I guess I would like it as a pens fan in that they're almost exactly the same prospect except McGroarty is a year older (and thus theoretically could contribute this year).

If that was the plan though, why take on a bunch of bums like Hayes and Glass? I understand thinking it's the wrong direction to go in but the Caps at least have had a very clear direction and plan the entire time. No move PIT makes lines up with any other previous ones they have though from the day Dubas took over.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Is it obvious right now that Broberg is eons better than Christian Djoos showed in the 2018 Cup run? He was solid for us in multiple series playing protected minutes - didn’t look out of place in pressure games. But offering Djoos the 2018 equivalent of $4.5 million for a couple of years based on that showing would not have worked out for anyone
It would have worked pretty nicely for Djoos...

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I guess I would like it as a pens fan in that they're almost exactly the same prospect except McGroarty is a year older (and thus theoretically could contribute this year).

If that was the plan though, why take on a bunch of bums like Hayes and Glass? I understand thinking it's the wrong direction to go in but the Caps at least have had a very clear direction and plan the entire time. No move PIT makes lines up with any other previous ones they have though from the day Dubas took over.
Pittsburgh digging a deeper hole while trying to stay relevant.

This move is ballsy, but likely helps them stay middling. I see why they made it, though they should adding prospects.

Jun 15, 2007
Basically two late firsts for Askarov. Seems like a fair deal considering his situation but if I was Nashville I would have just found a way to accommodate him.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Happy to see the Sharks making moves. I feel some kind of bond towards them because for so many years they felt like the west coast version of us, with dominant regular seasons but not being able to get over the hump in the playoffs. But unlike us they never ended up taking it all home, which must make the years they’ve been having hurt even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad