League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The crash happened around 8:30 p.m. on Pennsville Auburn Road.

Johnny, 31, and Matthew, 29, were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the fog line of the roadway. Police say 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins, of Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on CR 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee when he allegedly attempted to pass a slower-moving sedan and SUV.

Higgins entered the southbound lanes of the roadway, and passed the sedan. When he attempted to reenter the northbound lanes, the SUV in front of him moved into the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes in order to safely pass two bicyclists on the right side of the road.

Higgins then attempted to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreau brothers from behind, troopers said.

The Gaudreau brothers died from their injuries, according to state police.

Man this guy is a real piece of work.
Bury him under the jail and throw away the key. The number of lives he just destroyed because of his selfishness and impatience defies words.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A terrible tragedy. What a traumatazing event for the rest of their family.
Wouldn't be surprised if the guys just wanted to bike around their hometown, like in their kid days, and then that drunk driver happened :(
RIP John, Matthew.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
No words really beyond brutal and devastating and general lament that lives can be ended in such a random - but also senselessly selfish - manner.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Bury him under the jail and throw away the key. The number of lives he just destroyed because of his selfishness and impatience defies words.

Maybe it'll go that way because it's a high-profile case, but it often doesn't. A guy I grew up with got loaded a couple years ago, had what would just have been a pretty minor fender-bender, but decided to flee the scene and ended up killing someone in a second collision. He ultimately ended up serving next to no time.

The victim's family was forgiving in court, which probably helped, but the leniency was still pretty shocking to me.

It's not like I wanted my childhood friend to be cruelly punished or anything like that, but it seems too often lately that perpetrators get treated like victims. It confounds me a bit...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe it'll go that way because it's a high-profile case, but it often doesn't. A guy I grew up with got loaded a couple years ago, had what would just have been a pretty minor fender-bender, but decided to flee the scene and ended up killing someone in a second collision. He ultimately ended up serving next to no time.

The victim's family was forgiving in court, which probably helped, but the leniency was still pretty shocking to me.

It's not like I wanted my childhood friend to be cruelly punished or anything like that, but it seems too often lately that perpetrators get treated like victims. It confounds me a bit...
My views on death have skewed greatly since I became a father. Before I was a father I wouldn’t be so bold to say I wasn’t really afraid of death but after I became a dad the idea of my kids having to grow up without me makes me emotional. Life became that much more precious and I became very astute to my own mortality. The thought of my wife having to tell my kids I’m not coming home or something happened to me is devastating. Got out of the military real quick when we decided to have kids.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
At the risk of sounding like a total jerk, the Blue Jackets, already verging on total irrelevance, are well and truly f***ed.

No Gaudreau, no Laine... and it's almost September.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My views on death have skewed greatly since I became a father. Before I was a father I wouldn’t be so bold to say I wasn’t really afraid of death but after I became a dad the idea of my kids having to grow up without me makes me emotional. Life became that much more precious and I became very astute to my own mortality. The thought of my wife having to tell my kids I’m not coming home or something happened to me is devastating. Got out of the military real quick when we decided to have kids.
Agreed 100%. And worse — losing your child (as my parents have). Gaudreau’s folks are not only still around, but are right there with the rest of the family.

Imagine that. Shit, I’m 55. Guy can’t be much more than 65. I cannot even — I feel for the man and his wife so much. Plus Johnny’s wife. UGH

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
At the risk of sounding like a total jerk, the Blue Jackets, already verging on total irrelevance, are well and truly f***ed.

No Gaudreau, no Laine... and it's almost September.
I'm sure on ice this year they get a pass. This is the 2nd time the organization and fans will be going through something like this in 3 years, as much as any pro team in recent memory mental health should be a priority.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm sure on ice this year they get a pass. This is the 2nd time the organization and fans will be going through something like this in 3 years, as much as any pro team in recent memory mental health should be a priority.
Oh of course they do. But jeeze, I totally forgot that. That franchise is cursed, and yeah they better have a full-time counselor.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If I’m reading that right an impatient drunk driver tried to pass another car, who was giving space to the Gaudreaus as cyclists, attempted to pass that car on the right hand shoulder and basically just ended up plowing right into the brothers

What the hell is wrong with people. Drivers are only getting worse. It’s even more dangerous to be a cyclist or pedestrian these days, with so many psycho drivers on the road

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If I’m reading that right an impatient drunk driver tried to pass another car, who was giving space to the Gaudreaus as cyclists, attempted to pass that car on the right hand shoulder and basically just ended up plowing right into the brothers

What the hell is wrong with people. Drivers are only getting worse. It’s even more dangerous to be a cyclist or pedestrian these days, with so many psycho drivers on the road
Hell, I’m a foot pedestrian and almost got hit during the walk signal about… 5 minutes ago.

Third time in about two weeks too.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Husband was down in the Bay Area a couple of weeks ago and was having a drink at a bar. Dude sits down and starts yammering on about how it's so great that since Covid, you can do whatever you want on the roads and Oakland PD/CHP won't stop you. He was bragging about driving 100 mph on the 80 and not getting pulled over. People are f***ing nuts.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I encounter a lot of cyclists living in an extremely rural area. My high school weight training coach used to frequent the backroad a lot and I would see him. I always give them space and distance, especially with the steep ridges and hills. The rural roads are tight and I remember in Glacier Park on the Going to the Sun road the cyclists would fly down hill. It's dangerous enough driving and a DUI increases the threat further for anyone. As another poster commented, it's dangerous just being a pedestrian. Additionally, I notice a lot of drivers crossing the double yellow line frequently on the rural routes, including blind curves.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Husband was down in the Bay Area a couple of weeks ago and was having a drink at a bar. Dude sits down and starts yammering on about how it's so great that since Covid, you can do whatever you want on the roads and Oakland PD/CHP won't stop you. He was bragging about driving 100 mph on the 80 and not getting pulled over. People are f***ing nuts.
The 'quality" of human beings in general is in decline and has been for a while now. It both scares me and makes me really f***ing angry (from the point of view of the sheer level of self-absorption and not giving a damn about anybody else,).

Thoughts and prayers for the Gaudreau family. Cannot begin to imagine how devastating this is.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The 'quality" of human beings in general is in decline and has been for a while now. It both scares me and makes me really f***ing angry.

Thoughts and prayers to the Gaudreau family. Cannot begin to imagine how devastating this is.
I respectfully point to all of human history and its savagery and atrocities as proof that humans are basically the same as they always were, just with cooler toys and better security to keep us from feasting on each others brains every day.

And now back to hockey...

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
As a basic optimist, I always try and find the silver lining in all shitty things. Any angle I can find, and glom on to it.

This one?

There is no silver. I honestly cannot see one. For anyone.

Man— how stomach turning. I gotta stop thinking about this. Maybe go watch someone throw trash on a flower bed or steal a homeless persons things, and I will feel better.

Goodness

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The crash happened around 8:30 p.m. on Pennsville Auburn Road.

Johnny, 31, and Matthew, 29, were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the fog line of the roadway. Police say 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins, of Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on CR 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee when he allegedly attempted to pass a slower-moving sedan and SUV.

Higgins entered the southbound lanes of the roadway, and passed the sedan. When he attempted to reenter the northbound lanes, the SUV in front of him moved into the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes in order to safely pass two bicyclists on the right side of the road.

Higgins then attempted to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreau brothers from behind, troopers said.

The Gaudreau brothers died from their injuries, according to state police.

Man this guy is a real piece of work.
Also notable that with that SUV being ahead that additional blocked site lines. Don't know how limit is but I could imagine if the timing was unfortunately perfect when he swerved to the right side that it could have been immediate encounter.

Terrible news to hear this just coming out of work bubble on a Friday night and seeing what's happening. Ripple effects that will last a lifetime to the family and friends just brutal.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Unbelievably tragic, I can’t even imagine. Losing someone close to you is something you really never get over, it’s something you think about every single day for the rest of your life. Just horrible, I really wish them the best moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad