League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I could post a google maps pic of the road that I was sent, but I don't think I will. It's just a photo of a random stretch but it may be enough to get some imaginations going and would seem ghoulish here. Look it up if you want to.

The point being, it's a rural looking road with no shoulder (due to ancient power/phone lines installed right next to the road) and dashed passing line down the middle...a typical country kind of thing that you see when there's farmland around and people need to pass slow-moving tractors. There does seem to be farmlands around it.

IOW the kind of roads I grew up near, and that accounted for a LOT of early deaths.

I see people cycling on these roads all the time even now in very, very populated areas that have long since sold off most of the farmland to developers. It's only a matter of time before something bad happens here, too.

These kinds of roads should be re-evaluated for passing lanes. If it isn't 90% farmland, you get a double line.

I know a drunk asshole doesn't need dashed lines and permission from the government to make a move like this, but why contribute to it in any way? Most of these traffic patterns are probably left over from 50+ years ago, and the old telephone poles make bike lanes prohibitively expensive to install.

We can't stop people from riding bikes on these roads, or at night, or stop people from drinking and driving (unless we put mandatory breathalyzers or air quality monitors in cars), but we can at least disincentivize and discourage those things and not give permission for high speed passing on these dangerous stretches of road.

Thank you for attending my 4am g00n talk.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I could post a google maps pic of the road that I was sent, but I don't think I will. It's just a photo of a random stretch but it may be enough to get some imaginations going and would seem ghoulish here. Look it up if you want to.

The point being, it's a rural looking road with no shoulder (due to ancient power/phone lines installed right next to the road) and dashed passing line down the middle...a typical country kind of thing that you see when there's farmland around and people need to pass slow-moving tractors. There does seem to be farmlands around it.

IOW the kind of roads I grew up near, and that accounted for a LOT of early deaths.

I see people cycling on these roads all the time even now in very, very populated areas that have long since sold off most of the farmland to developers. It's only a matter of time before something bad happens here, too.

These kinds of roads should be re-evaluated for passing lanes. If it isn't 90% farmland, you get a double line.

I know a drunk asshole doesn't need dashed lines and permission from the government to make a move like this, but why contribute to it in any way? Most of these traffic patterns are probably left over from 50+ years ago, and the old telephone poles make bike lanes prohibitively expensive to install.

We can't stop people from riding bikes on these roads, or at night, or stop people from drinking and driving (unless we put mandatory breathalyzers or air quality monitors in cars), but we can at least disincentivize and discourage those things and not give permission for high speed passing on these dangerous stretches of road.

Thank you for attending my 4am g00n talk.

The county road near my home is two way and no yellow lines. I often see cyclists and bikers travel it. It can be frustrating watching motorists speed, especially when taking the entire road forgetting it’s two way. Lots of deer can pose a threat when they get startled. I like to do farmers carries with kettle bells so I use my steep driveway or property and avoid the road. I do worry about kids getting hit from speeders. DUI drivers make it really difficult for anyone. Indeed tractors can frequent my road. I’m all for folks being free with cycling etc, but the fast drivers seem more frequent and increases risks.

Reactions: g00n

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Also notable that with that SUV being ahead that additional blocked site lines. Don't know how limit is but I could imagine if the timing was unfortunately perfect when he swerved to the right side that it could have been immediate encounter.
This is one thing I was thinking about. If that SUV slowed dramatically as it moved to the center to pass the brothers, and as dipshit tried to merge back into the right behind it, it is possible that him attempting to pass it on the right was as much of an evasive swerve as a passing attempt.

But it's highly likely that he was only in that position because he was driving too aggressively to begin with considering the road (as g00n discusses after). And that aggressive driving was likely alcohol induced.

(Not making or looking for an excuse for him at all. Just wondering aloud about specific conditions and circumstances. But I guess stupid is as stupid does.)

I drove a lot out in West Virginia, windey 2 lane mountain roads with regular passing lanes. I haven't seen many bicycles on them, but I could totally see this kind of thing happening easily out there.

RIP

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Bizzaro world:

I was in DC sitting at a long light and had just updated my partner on this tragedy. Light turns green and just as I'm about to press on the accelerator, out of the corner of my left eye I saw something speeding down the rain-soaked hill on Wisconsin Ave. Yep, it was a bicyclist running the red light very late. Bald guy, no helmet, and apparently no brains. Had I pressed on the gas pedal he would of been toast. Like he would of either slammed head-first into my driver's side door or impersonated superman over the hood. My girl yelled 'You F'n idiot' and we were shook for a few mins. The timing of this was surreal.

Idiots...everywhere.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bizzaro world:

I was in DC sitting at a long light and had just updated my partner on this tragedy. Light turns green and just as I'm about to press on the accelerator, out of the corner of my left eye I saw something speeding down the rain-soaked hill on Wisconsin Ave. Yep, it was a bicyclist running the red light very late. Bald guy, no helmet, and apparently no brains. Had I pressed on the gas pedal he would of been toast. Like he would of either slammed head-first into my driver's side door or impersonated superman over the hood. My girl yelled 'You F'n idiot' and we were shook for a few mins. The timing of this was surreal.

Idiots...everywhere.
Bizarro world: the night Johnny and Matthew were killed I was driving home from a work dinner down the GW Parkway. It was after 10:00p, steady rain, and pitch black. Anyone who has driven down the GW Parkway at night knows how dark it is, especially with bad weather. I came around a curve near the north end of the Parkway and these two compete f***ing idiots are bicycling in the middle of the southbound lane with no helmets, no lights, no reflective jackets. I saw them at the last minute probably about three feet from my car and was able to swerve out of the way and lay on the horn. The car behind me slammed to a stop and berated them as I slowly drove away knowing I was about an instant from killing these morons.

Shook me up pretty good to be honest. Then getting home and waking up the next morning to the terrible news about the Gaudreaus was real f***ing eery. I talked to my neighbors this morning and evidently there’s a group of people who have recently started running and cycling on the Parkway in the middle of the night as some sort of weird exercise group. They clearly have a death wish and it feels like only a matter of time before something bad happens.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I love to drive. Was always a really aggressive driver. Not dumb shit, but I would definitely get after it especially on back roads. Now i am 56 and much more aware and conservative. Pair that with the dumb stuff on the road and I now drive with my head constantly on a swivel. No more Cannonball runs for me. too risky and lots to lose.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Bizarro world: the night Johnny and Matthew were killed I was driving home from a work dinner down the GW Parkway. It was after 10:00p, steady rain, and pitch black. Anyone who has driven down the GW Parkway at night knows how dark it is, especially with bad weather. I came around a curve near the north end of the Parkway and these two compete f***ing idiots are bicycling in the middle of the southbound lane with no helmets, no lights, no reflective jackets. I saw them at the last minute probably about three feet from my car and was able to swerve out of the way and lay on the horn. The car behind me slammed to a stop and berated them as I slowly drove away knowing I was about an instant from killing these morons.

Shook me up pretty good to be honest. Then getting home and waking up the next morning to the terrible news about the Gaudreaus was real f***ing eery. I talked to my neighbors this morning and evidently there’s a group of people who have recently started running and cycling on the Parkway in the middle of the night as some sort of weird exercise group. They clearly have a death wish and it feels like only a matter of time before something bad happens.

Holy shit...GW parkway is bad enough with all the deer and foxes on it at night. Those people are idiots. I'm on it and Clara Barton 2-3 times per week late at night.

ps Clara Barton is a parkway...not a person who is presently alive. lol (the founder of the American Red cross)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I love to drive. Was always a really aggressive driver. Not dumb shit, but I would definitely get after it especially on back roads. Now i am 56 and much more aware and conservative. Pair that with the dumb stuff on the road and I now drive with my head constantly on a swivel. No more Cannonball runs for me. too risky and lots to lose.
I’m a consistent 8-10 MPH over the speed limit kind of guy. I like traveling at a decent rate of speed but nothing crazy. I will say that slow drivers drive me insane, especially if they cruise slowly in the passing lane. I do not understand why people insist on driving slowly in the left lane.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It is bad enough that Higgins drank and drove, but to do so aggressively is just beyond horrible. Most people who have too many, while losing some judgment, coordination, and reflex are extra slow and try not to bring attention to themselves. This guy is a special type of ass and deserves everything he gets and more. RIP JG and MG.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
On another happier topic... This whole Jarvis contract and the deferred payments is fascinating. It's amazing other teams haven't done it before now. (Obviously the player has to be willing to.sign it.)

The Lerners could suddenly be in the market for an NHL team.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

All of us are guilty of this at some point. There are times I reflect back and thank God it didn't end in a negative outcome. I believe life stresses and complacency are a big reason for aggressive driving. I've only had one speeding ticket when I lived in Washington state. I was on I-5 and pinned by two semis I was also in a rush to get to work that morning. I went to court and the judge threw it out due to my driving record, but it opened my eyes and now I drive the speed limit or slightly slower. One thing is for sure if any of you guys and gals are behind me, I assure all of you would be cussing me out and blowing the horn for driving slow lol. I firmly believe a lot of folks forget how slick the roads can get when it first rains or fail to slow down during rainstorms. Forget it with black ice. I always remind myself not to get in a hurry because the same person that passes on the roadway ends up at the same red light or stop sign in a few seconds.

Reactions: PlushMinus

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
All of us are guilty of this at some point. There are times I reflect back and thank God it didn't end in a negative outcome. I believe life stresses and complacency are a big reason for aggressive driving. I've only had one speeding ticket when I lived in Washington state. I was on I-5 and pinned by two semis I was also in a rush to get to work that morning. I went to court and the judge threw it out due to my driving record, but it opened my eyes and now I drive the speed limit or slightly slower. One thing is for sure if any of you guys and gals are behind me, I assure all of you would be cussing me out and blowing the horn for driving slow lol. I firmly believe a lot of folks forget how slick the roads can get when it first rains or fail to slow down during rainstorms. Forget it with black ice. I always remind myself not to get in a hurry because the same person that passes on the roadway ends up at the same red light or stop sign in a few seconds.
I lost my license twice by 18. No DWIs or accidents. Just driving fast.

I went to VT. Had a couple of cool cars which i bought myself. One was 84 Quattro. One was a a Maximia. We had some great roads to drive on. I ran them hard, Recless for sure. But mostly safe back in late 80’s. Can’t do that today. I miss that.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Classic game from this past season on NHL Network...

1000001626.jpg

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
14m AAV for Draisatl.

Oof.
Another nostalgic contract. I'm sure this will work out for first few years but overall, odds are that he already played his best hockey. if they can squeeze out at least one cup run out of him i suppose it will all be worth it.

He is a beast though. Any team would love to have him. McDavid would not be where he is now without Draisaitl being there too. Teams need to plan for Drai as much as they do for the other one.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
14 mil and 12.5 mil cap hits….how do you build around that? Great problem to have, but still tough. Then McDavid is up again in 2 more seasons.

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
14 mil and 12.5 mil cap hits….how do you build around that? Great problem to have, but still tough. Then McDavid is up again in 2 more seasons.

Will CMD be getting $15 or $16M per season in two years? It will have to be the highest ever awarded, right? No way they can let him leave like Gretzky? Imagining CMD on the real open UFA market?

feeding-frenzy-at-chateau-cheverny

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Will CMD be getting $15 or $16M per season in two years? It will have to be the highest ever awarded, right? No way they can let him leave like Gretzky? Imagining CMD on the real open UFA market?

I wonder if say they don’t win it again this season, how content CMD is to just keep trying year after year in Edmonton vs asking out. Their roster construction only becomes more difficult.

He could do right by them and tell them privately with one year left he might not resign…..they could move him to the (probably) destination of his choice and get a King’s ransom with an extension pre-negotiated for a 30 yr old CMD.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The biggest issue is the Nurse contract. Draisatl and McDavid cost an arm and a leg but they’re two of the top five players in the world. Nurse is paid in the same AAV range as Fox, Makar, McAvoy, and Josi but he’s garbage and probably worth less than half of his cap hit.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

Oh yeah! He will get his $15-$16 but it wont be in two years. My money is on them signing him before he even begins his last season.

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I wonder if say they don’t win it again this season, how content CMD is to just keep trying year after year in Edmonton vs asking out. Their roster construction only becomes more difficult.

He could do right by them and tell them privately with one year left he might not resign…..they could move him to the (probably) destination of his choice and get a King’s ransom with an extension pre-negotiated for a 30 yr old CMD.

Trading Gretzky then trading CMD. Poor Edmonton fans. :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
TML have Marner and Tavares potentially off the books after this season freeing up $21M. If they fill those slots on the cheap and then repeat the process for a handful of other UFAs over the next 2 years I wouldn't be surprised if they try to throw $20M at McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad