League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Pittsburgh digging a deeper hole while trying to stay relevant.

This move is ballsy, but likely helps them stay middling. I see why they made it, though they should adding prospects.
They are still trying to compete instead of acknowledging reality (not that I'm complaining about it). However, this trade made sense. McGroarty is the better prospect than Yager (who I also like but not as much). It's not like they traded Yager for a veteran.

This was a 'win' for Winnipeg in the sense that they got good value back for a depreciating asset (as compared to the Cutter Gauthier trade this was a much better return) , but it was an overall win for Pittsburgh as I like McGroarty better as a prospect. Was hoping we could snag him, but I'm not sure we had anyone to offer who was fair value.

Reactions: qc14

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
just seems like PIT could've figured out a way to not give up their top prospect, imagine if they could've had Yager AND McG thru some creative package (hey, works for Caps fans)

WPG was dealing with little leverage and they came out just about even somehow, great job by them not getting rolled over (I'm guessing multiple teams made offers which led to PIT ponying up)

ultimately it's a slight upgrade for PIT, but those "could'ves" ...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm surprised the Jets got that much value for a prospect who wanted out. Usually teams with a disgruntled prospect have to take pennies on the dollar in a trade, but it seems the Jets got 95 cents on the dollar which ain't bad.

Also it makes me feel warm inside to see a prospect have a say in where they want to play instead of being drafted into Hel (Winnipeg).

Reactions: Kazer

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Seems a bit lose-lose on the Askarov deal to me. It's a whole lot for a position that seems to be even harder and more volatile to project than others. Just remember that for a couple years Samsonov was the #1 goalie prospect!

For NSH, they should have never taken him in the first place especially with guys like Lundell, Jarvis, and Mercer going pretty much directly after him. I think the VGK 1st has sneaky good upside but it also sounds like Trotz had much better packages at the draft this year and last that he passed on.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That’s terrible. And by the sounds of it, his sister was to be married today. All around tragic for the family.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I saw the rumors last night and was hoping they weren't true.

This is crushing.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Apparently it was a bike accident per Seravalli

Police said the Gaudreau brothers were riding bicycles when they were struck by a vehicle; the accident occurred around 8:30 p.m. on Thursday in rural Salem County, N.J., outside of Philadelphia. Police sources said the accident remained under investigation.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
God, their poor family, what an absolute nightmare. Both brothers gone the night before their sister’s wedding… it’s like something out of a soap opera. Unbelievable.

Why is it always the Blue Jackets when a tragic, fatal accident happens? First the girl who died after being hit in the head by a puck at one of their games, then Kivlenieks killed by errant fireworks, now Gaudreau killed while biking. That poor organization is cursed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Driver arrested for suspicion of driving drunk and 2 counts of death by vehicle…..

Can only imagine how the family is taking this on what was supposed to be the wedding day of their sister…..unbelievably sad.

Jun 15, 2007
RIP to them, condolences to their family and especially the sister, who was supposed to be having the happiest day of her life today and is instead having her worst.

Looks like the incident happened on a rural road with no streetlights past sunset. Add in the fact that the driver was drunk...ooof.

I used to love cycling until I got hit by a van and broke my leg. For me it's just not worth it. I'll cycle on protected bike lanes but that's about it.

Hope the drunk driver gets a long sentence. vehicular manslaughter is taken too lightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Biking on roads is risky, but after dark…..through the roof. I know hardcore bikers that are adamant about road riding, but damn….too many asshole car drivers, and you lose that battle on a bike every time.

Reactions: g00n

Jun 15, 2007
The crash happened around 8:30 p.m. on Pennsville Auburn Road.

Johnny, 31, and Matthew, 29, were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the fog line of the roadway. Police say 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins, of Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on CR 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee when he allegedly attempted to pass a slower-moving sedan and SUV.

Higgins entered the southbound lanes of the roadway, and passed the sedan. When he attempted to reenter the northbound lanes, the SUV in front of him moved into the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes in order to safely pass two bicyclists on the right side of the road.

Higgins then attempted to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreau brothers from behind, troopers said.

The Gaudreau brothers died from their injuries, according to state police.

Man this guy is a real piece of work.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Unimaginable tragedy for the Gaudreau family. Their sister was supposed to get married today. Johnny had a wife and two young kids. Honestly getting choked up thinking about it, going to go sit on the couch with my kids who are off school today. Horrific.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad