League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
66084DEC-2ED5-4562-9824-A154C1415962.gif

Barkov to Draisaitl

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Bob, despite allowing 3 goals in this game on 35 shots, had .914 SV%. Skinner, giving up 4 goals on 23 shots, had a .826 SV%. You just can't win games when your goalie keeps having sub .900 SV%'s.

Reactions: PlushMinus

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Friedman did have a follow up on today’s podcast regarding the CF discussion. He said he never meant it to sound like ONLY 9 teams had a back up option. Those were the ones he knew off that were a definite. He also mentioned he knows some teams are strategically being vague about if they have an internal version of the site or not and he’s sure there are more than those 9 he brought up.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I think this is probably the biggest thing. Teams were likely using CapFriendly to observe the cap situations of teams outside their own and using that instead of manually tracking (which is somewhat important for making trades and identifying trade targets that are affordable)
Not sure what's stopping teams from entering all the cap data from capfriendly into their own excel sheet or whatever and designating the data entry task to someone, unless CF had some special server-side API only teams had access to I don't think this should be more than an annoyance to opposing teams.
The big thing is tracking the data. Following every team/player and analyzing every trade, contract, roster move, etc is not trivial. Getting all the existing data is easy, but keeping up with it will require some resources.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
The problem with being down 0-3 in a series is you have to do this 3 more times afterwards. The Oilers can absolutely truck the Panthers this game, then lose 1-0 game 5

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers got their scoring points fix in front of their fans. Now Oiler/Canadien fans will think the Oilers are back in the series. A reality check will settle in for Game 5.

Reactions: PlushMinus

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
So 8-1 win for the Oilers. One problem, there are 2 days in between this game and Game 5. It's not like the Oilers can carry a lot of momentum into Game 5. Nothing has really changed other than McDavid/Draisaitl racked up their more usual points in a game.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I watched the first 2 periods and it was obvious from the beginning that the Panthers just didn't turn up for this game. The Oilers (and their moronic fans) will take heart from this but the Panthers will be back to their usual selves for game 5.

Even Paul Maurice didn't look particularly concerned when they showed him behind the bench? He knows the team collectively pooped the bed on this one.

I highly recommend watching his press conferences. After seeing a few of them in this series he is now the person I most want on the Panthers team to win a Cup. Great insight and answers to questions and just a very cool guy all around.

Reactions: Calicaps

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I watched the first 2 periods and it was obvious from the beginning that the Panthers just didn't turn up for this game. The Oilers (and their moronic fans) will take heart from this but the Panthers will be back to their usual selves for game 5.

Even Paul Maurice didn't look particularly concerned when they showed him behind the bench? He knows the team collectively pooped the bed on this one.

I highly recommend watching his press conferences. After seeing a few of them in this series he is now the person I most want on the Panthers team to win a Cup. Great insight and answers to questions and just a very cool guy all around.
To be fair I feel like Maurice’s pulse is never over like, 50. But I agree, his pressers are phenomenal, he’s a great coach who has been at it for a long time, I’ll be happy to see him get his cup.

Honestly I just hope the Panthers win game 5. Feels like the best case scenario is the Panthers win in front of their home fans, and the Oilers fans got to see a huge smack down as the last home game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad