League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Florida (if Brunette doesn’t get the permanent gig), Detroit, or Vancouver make the most sense to me. Philly, Chicago, and Winnipeg are likely to suck for years. Those other teams are either built to win or built to take the next step now.

Sucks for Barry. I wonder if he and Lou had a disagreement about the way forward because the Isles have greatly overachieved relative to talent level since he’s been their coach.
Doesn't Vancouver have Bruce?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Doesn't Vancouver have Bruce?
Rutherford said Bruce is welcome to return under his current contract but he wouldn’t be offered an extension so his contract would be over at the end of the 2022-23 season. Does Bruce want to be a lame duck coach again? Would he get a better deal elsewhere? His future is still murky as it relates to Vancouver.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
With money comes expectations.

He'd make a good consolation price for the Panthers if they are eliminated by us.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
There is a lot of open coaching spots in the league next year. Interesting that both Trotz and possibly Bruce will be looking to snag two of them at the same time.

Edit: Please don't go to Philly either of you!

Edit: Edit: Or New Jersey! Stay away from the Metro!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Vegas could be a great destination for Trotz as well, assuming he wants to coach again.

His son is special needs and he’s got millions of dollars in the bank, maybe he decides he’s done with the coaching grind and he wants something less strenuous for him and his family.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Maybe Barzal related? There's got to be more to the story because outcomes should have given him more rope. Do they go with Boudreau with so much being said about more offense? Lou is also not without some pretty severe faults re: roster construction.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Not sure how much more offense you can squeeze out of that roster..
They will probably see a small uptick in offense at the expense of a huge decrease in defensive play. That roster is awful and I don’t think they have much coming in terms of top prospects.

Jun 15, 2007
Does Lou usually comment on why he fired a coach? I can't remember if his no comment is unusual or not.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They will probably see a small uptick in offense at the expense of a huge decrease in defensive play. That roster is awful and I don’t think they have much coming in terms of top prospects.
If they don’t have the worst prospect pool in the league they certainly are in the bottom three. They’re old and slow and expensive, they have no true stars on their roster, and they have no blue chip prospects that could realistically at this point be counted on as core members on a contending team.

They had a brief window playing Trotz hockey and that’s closed. They could be good enough to compete for a playoff spot but they’re going to be stuck in no-man’s land for a while, barring a major roster shake-up.

Reactions: crab

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Lou's idiocy is always welcomed news for Caps fans. Him mentioning 'offence' and Barzal was probably complaining about the system. Hope they dwell in sub-mediocrity for another 20 years.

Hearing Pierre McGuire got canned from the Sens. Maybe Lou will pull the trigger. LOL

Edit: Woops....always read the whole thread before posting...haha

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Interesting to see

1. The shock of Hockey insiders and journos online, and
2. The response from NYI fans are overwhelmingly puzzled and enraged by the firing

Could be that Trotz friction was going to be an issue for signing Barzal long-term, or that Trotz didn’t want an extension (his deal up next year).

But this has every opportunity to go tits-up for the Islanders if they don’t hire a legit coach as a replacement. I don’t like the Isles by any means, but I’d hate for the fans to go through what we did during those two years of Todd Reirden while the GM slowly trades away all the young talented players…

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Shocked that the Islanders would do this.

As for where he'll end up, Trotz makes perfect sense for a team that's on the verge.
(just like the Caps were in 2017 and 2018).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad