League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I suspect Trotz will take a year off. He has been at the head coaching gig for a long time And sounds like some personal distractions. But i bet he will be on the sidelines for more than a year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting to see

1. The shock of Hockey insiders and journos online, and
2. The response from NYI fans are overwhelmingly puzzled and enraged by the firing

Could be that Trotz friction was going to be an issue for signing Barzal long-term, or that Trotz didn’t want an extension (his deal up next year).

But this has every opportunity to go tits-up for the Islanders if they don’t hire a legit coach as a replacement. I don’t like the Isles by any means, but I’d hate for the fans to go through what we did during those two years of Todd Reirden while the GM slowly trades away all the young talented players…
Huge eye roll……(woe is us) of course we want opposing teams to struggle with questionable decision-making.

And yes, if you’re a fan of the Islanders, you (or your predecessors) sold your souls to the devil in 1979…..and the price henceforth is eternal failure lol….;)

Isles will realize very quickly the grass is not greener on the other side. We certainly did.
One grass was slowly dying out….they just picked the wrong strain the next year….

I suspect Trotz will take a year off. He has been at the head coaching gig for a long time And sounds like some personal distractions. But i bet he will be on the sidelines for more than a year.
On the flip side…..some very good gigs could become available if a few top teams fail out in round 1 or 2.

Reactions: tycoonheart

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Huge eye roll……(woe is us) of course we want opposing teams to struggle with questionable decision-making.

And yes, if you’re a fan of the Islanders, you (or your predecessors) sold your souls to the devil in 1979…..and the price henceforth is eternal failure lol….;)

One grass was slowly dying out….they just picked the wrong strain the next year….

On the flip side…..some very good gigs could become available if a few top teams fail out in round 1 or 2.
he shoulda stayed with the Caps when he had the chance.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
he shoulda stayed with the Caps when he had the chance.
He took a job that paid more to coach a team that advanced further than the Capitals did during those seasons, including directly beating the Capitals in a head-to-head playoff series. I think he got the better end of the deal.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Vegas could be a great destination for Trotz as well, assuming he wants to coach again.

His son is special needs and he’s got millions of dollars in the bank, maybe he decides he’s done with the coaching grind and he wants something less strenuous for him and his family.

Its gotta be a lot easier to walk away or to take a long break when you already have Cup win under your belt. Whatever Barry does I wish him the best. Unless he continues coaching in the Metro, then I hope his team opens on the road for the first month, every year. Nothing personal of course:)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You don’t say.
I'm curious why you think he should have stayed with the Caps, then. Obviously, for selfish reason as a Caps fan, we would have loved him to stay. But he took the move that was better for him and his career, and got the better end of that decision both on and off the ice.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm curious why you think he should have stayed with the Caps, then. Obviously, for selfish reason as a Caps fan, we would have loved him to stay. But he took the move that was better for him and his career, and got the better end of that decision both on and off the ice.
Not at all. I didn’t much care that he left. But he would have had a far better roster and still made a lot of money. And maybe won another Cup with a room full of guys who'd already gotten it done for him.

Reactions: g00n

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Sounds like going and getting Reeves wasn't what took Rangers over the top. Whodathunk getting a 4th liner who has zero offensive skills, no special teams skills, and a liability in the defensive end wouldn't take them over the top? ... but at least they woulda been able to solve their tom Wilson problem!

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Lol Igor waiving goodbye to the penguins after winning a meaningless late regular season game and then this happens tonight! Pens fans chanting “we want Igor” is savage

Welcome to playoff hockey, Mr Shesterkin! These games actually do matter. But in fairness his squad sucked big time in front of him

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens are demolishing the Rangers. Shesterkin sporting a .800 save percentage with six goals against through two periods.

It's bizarre, but kind of exactly what I thought might happen in this series.

I also thought the Caps would win against the Cats too.

Seems to be the nature of the NHL. Would be fun to have an ECF between us for once given the implication of those last three series.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lol Igor waiving goodbye to the penguins after winning a meaningless late regular season game and then this happens tonight! Pens fans chanting “we want Igor” is savage

Welcome to playoff hockey, Mr Shesterkin! These games actually do matter. But in fairness his squad sucked big time in front of him
Cringe-worthy stuff to taunt opposing fans and then lose the goalie match-up in a Playoff series to Louie Domingue. Kudos to him making the most out of his opportunities.

All in all watching that series it's men against boys. It's not over yet but it might aswell could be. Unless the Penguins get their foot off the gas and self-destruct they are likely through, and good for them. They look really good but these Rangers don't belong in the Playoffs.

High-danger chances... 20-1 for the Penguins. 12-0 in the 2nd period. Don't think i've seen this lopsided Playoff game in a while.

• Wow
Reactions: bur and 666 others

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I thought I hated the Pens, but I’m glad they are up in the series. These new and upcoming teams with their players and fans swag without winning anything are learning a lesson. Honestly

Ha, Shesterkin learning to be humble next time. Kudos to the Pens. I thought I hated them, but I’m glad they are teaching a lesson to these new and upcoming teams. Only if Caps can do the same.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Isles will realize very quickly the grass is not greener on the other side. We certainly did.
Pretty hilarious that the list of potential candidates included Adam Oates. :laugh:

Lane Lambert might finally get his 1st NHL head coach gig. If he doesn't, i'd expect him to walk along with Korn.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Pretty hilarious that the list of potential candidates included Adam Oates. :laugh:

Lane Lambert might finally get his 1st NHL head coach gig. If he doesn't, i'd expect him to walk along with Korn.

With all the talk of Trotz wanting to move into management - and I think he stated he was interested in that when he left the Caps - I’m wondering if we could see a Trotz-Lambert package deal somewhere but where Lambert is HC and Trotz an Assistant GM. That would allow Trotz to mentor and guide Lambert from a distance, while gaining valuable experience of the front office side of things.

It would also give a team some protection in case Lambert doesn’t work out, in a similar way to having Korn as Director of Goaltending gave us protection when Murray struggled in 2018.

Unless Korn, Lambert et. al get fired or want to sit out for a year, I don’t see them being released from their final year on the Island to go to another team in the same positions.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
i dunno, have always hated the Rangers more probably because i find their fans most annoying and bitter that we lost many winnable playoff series against them. Both the Rangers and Pens series losses over the years hurt but I think losing to the Rangers, when they didn't go on to actually win anything those years they beat us, just pisses me off. Pretenders! At least the Pens went on to actually win the whole thing each time

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's bizarre, but kind of exactly what I thought might happen in this series.

I also thought the Caps would win against the Cats too.

Seems to be the nature of the NHL. Would be fun to have an ECF between us for once given the implication of those last three series.
It’s annoying that I don’t hate the Penguins as much as I used to. It’s morphed into some bizarre unwanted mutual respect. Maybe it’s because Sid and Ovi are two of the best to ever do it and now that they’re on the tail end of their careers I just appreciate things more. Winning the Cup definitely has something to do it… pretty much all historical animosity melted away during those two months. I also like seeing the old guard tell everyone that they’re not dead yet despite the yearly prognostications that Ovi and Sid and Malkin and Backstrom and the Pens and Caps are has-beens.

But yes, a Pittsburgh-Washington ECF would be “fun.” Potentially one last bite at the apple and a grudge match for all the marbles. Certainly wouldn’t feel right if we don’t get one last Pittsburgh-Washington playoff series with 8 and 87 still at their respective helms, would it?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It’s annoying that I don’t hate the Penguins as much as I used to. It’s morphed into some bizarre unwanted mutual respect. Maybe it’s because Sid and Ovi are two of the best to ever do it and now that they’re on the tail end of their careers I just appreciate things more. Winning the Cup definitely has something to do it… pretty much all historical animosity melted away during those two months. I also like seeing the old guard tell everyone that they’re not dead yet despite the yearly prognostications that Ovi and Sid and Malkin and Backstrom and the Pens and Caps are has-beens.

But yes, a Pittsburgh-Washington ECF would be “fun.” Potentially one last bite at the apple and a grudge match for all the marbles. Certainly wouldn’t feel right if we don’t get one last Pittsburgh-Washington playoff series with 8 and 87 still at their respective helms, would it?

Bah, there's plenty of room in my heart to hate both teams a lot.

But its definitely true that a Pens/Caps ECF would be the best thing for hockey, and my cardiologist kid's college fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad