League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I'm rooting for McDavid. The league is more fun when its biggest stars are thriving in the playoffs.
Being on the west coast (and with the new ESPN+ deal), I’ve watched a decent amount of Oilers this year.

The incomparable speed, hands, the highlight 1 on 4 goals - have all been there. But at times I wondered if his game was too finesse to translate to the playoffs. Going in all alone and just turning it over, while trying to do too much, happened a lot.

I hate to say it, but once they added Kane to his line, it made a huge difference. Not only in opening space, but I think it’s made McDavid more physical and given him a player constantly driving the net.

As has been said a million times - since the end of the Kings series, he has hit a new level and it is awesome to watch. Just a new mental and physical toughness - blocking shots, refusing to lose. It does feel like history in the making, and wish more people could see it live.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
That Husso goal, not much different from what we’ve seen from VV and IS.

Would love to have this mature version of Kadri on our team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Long-term deal for Bryan Rust, 6 years @ 5.125m AAV.

I wonder how he looks away from Crosby.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No Point, no problem. Florida is easy work. Going to be interesting what comes next for them, particularly given how they're largely drained of futures.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
We literally had to hand the series to Florida in order for them to win. They’re really good at beating up the 16 or so teams in the league that are average or worse, but faced with competition from a motivated good team on a night to night basis, they’re pretty ordinary. We were gifted them opportunities with our bone-headed mistakes. No such generosity from Tampa

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I've just never been sold on Weegar being anything more than a solid player, nor on Ekblad being 'that guy'.

And I've always said that Bobrovsky stinks.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Makes me feel better knowing that even if Washington had advanced, they likely would have been taken to school by Tampa.

Toronto has to feel really disappointed knowing they were so close to beating the juggernaut.
Styles make fights. Telling yourself we would have been whooped by Tampa is mental gymnastics. I bet we would have taken them to at least 6 games.

Reactions: max21

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Styles make fights. Telling yourself we would have been whooped by Tampa is mental gymnastics. I bet we would have taken them to at least 6 games.
Always difficult to predict how/whether performance in one series will affect/carry over to the next. For the Caps, as well as many other playoff teams, I expect that confidence after winning the first round would've bumped up and - assuming they had won by not making the boneheaded mistakes (Hi, Mr. Norris) that cost them v. Fla - they would've at the very least given the Dolts more of a challenge than the Cats are giving them.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
When I said that Caps lost the series (and not FLA won the series) I was laughed at.
I also have said that TOR or TBL will go easily through FLA (I thought at least 5). But it seems like a sweep.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Makes me feel better knowing that even if Washington had advanced, they likely would have been taken to school by Tampa.

Toronto has to feel really disappointed knowing they were so close to beating the juggernaut.
The Caps always play Tampa well. Given what we know now about Wilson not coming back and Backstrom falling apart at the seams, plus Ovi needing an injection to play, it’s highly doubtful Washington would have won the series but I think they’d have put forth a better game plan than Florida.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Hilarious take. What series were you watching? I said before, FL doesn't even look like a PO team. We lost because? Hath missed the EN by an inch? 2 defensive mistakes by 420 norris and Fever? Willy being out?

Whatever, we would of played the Bolts better than the Cats are. Ovi and Co have a good record vs Vasi.

The only team I was concerned about in the east was the Rags due to Igor. But PO hockey: Shit happens.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Caps always play Tampa well. Given what we know now about Wilson not coming back and Backstrom falling apart at the seams, plus Ovi needing an injection to play, it’s highly doubtful Washington would have won the series but I think they’d have put forth a better game plan than Florida.

They play them well but Tampa doesn’t give up cheap goals. I suspect Washington would have struggled to generate 5v5 offense, as they have done the past 4 postseasons, and I also suspect Washington would not have blanked Tampa Bay on their power play.

Anything could have happened. It’s hockey. They’d have had at least a 1/4 shot. But I don’t think they would have outplayed them like they did with Florida for large stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad