League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
NHL highest paid coaches (Capfriendly) 2021-'22 season:

Joel Quenneville - 5.25 m (fired)
Alain Vigneault - 5.00m (fired)
Claude Julien - 5.00m (fired)
Todd McLellan - 5.00m
Peter Laviolette - 4.90m
Jon Cooper - 4.00m
Barry Trotz - 4.00m (fired)

Reactions: Hivemind

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I hope Trotz takes the Winnipeg job. He would fit in nicely there and I don't want him in the Metro anymore.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

The Bruins would be idiots to fire Cassidy. So what if he started a journeyman at goalie games 1 and 2? He's still one of the best coaches in the East.

His situation is largely due to his team getting shittier and older by the day.

I hope Trotz takes the Winnipeg job. He would fit in nicely there and I don't want him in the Metro anymore.
it just makes too much sense. he grew up around the area, played junior hockey there, and goes home to Canada.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
People blame our goaltending, and we have no vasi, but TB shuts down florida's offense in a way the caps couldn't consistently which really sunk us. So many cross ice passes we gave up right in front of sammy or turnovers leading to odd man breaks that the panthers feasted on

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
FL special teams is so so soooo bad. If we had better PP we would have scored a lot more on them.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

The Bruins would be idiots to fire Cassidy. So what if he started a journeyman at goalie games 1 and 2? He's still one of the best coaches in the East.

His situation is largely due to his team getting shittier and older by the day.

it just makes too much sense. he grew up around the area, played junior hockey there, and goes home to Canada.

I wonder if Carlson likes Trotz enough that he'd be willing to follow him to Winnipeg? Something around Carlson for Schiefele could work for both teams, but Winnipeg's almost certainly one of the 10 teams on Johnny's not-trade list.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People blame our goaltending, and we have no vasi, but TB shuts down florida's offense in a way the caps couldn't consistently which really sunk us. So many cross ice passes we gave up right in front of sammy or turnovers leading to odd man breaks that the panthers feasted on

The goaltending got worse as the series went on but the team defense--particularly the top pair and a few forwards--are what really fell off.

FLA scored 20 goals in 6 games. I went through all of them here:

G1: no odd man rush goals against
G2: 2 goals against due to turnovers and bad defense leading to odd man rush or x-ice pass
G3: FLA's only goal is on a cherrypicking play
G4: one 2 on 1 goal against due to Carlson error
G5: four such goals
G6: two such goals

That's arguably at least 10 goals out of 20. Half their goals in the series were from odd-man rushes or cross-ice passes.

Compare to the Caps who had 5 such goals out of their 19 total (if you don't count Ovie's PP one-timer as a cross-ice defensive breakdown) and far more deflections & rebounds.

The Caps also blew several good chances on breakaways. I think Bob outplayed our guys and that may have been the difference in at least one game, maybe more.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Again Caps pushed these "Cats" to the limit -- are being EXPOSED today against better LIGHTNING

OcZSfG1.png

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Even before that heartbreaker, Barkov was just shrugging off a wide open Giroux multiple times on the late powerplay. 0 for 25 for Florida. What is up with that

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Washington shut down their offense pretty effectively. It was the nonsensical and unnecessary mistakes that did them in. Florida never impressed with their structure and system — they won the series because they had a speed and talent advantage and were able to take advantage of Washington’s mistakes. There is a reason we had a lead in the third period in five of the six games.

Florida’s problem right now is that Tampa is better and faster than Washington so Florida can’t rely on the counter when Tampa makes mistakes and Tampa plays their system better than Florida does. Tampa also has a much better goalie, so Florida really has no margin for error and their special teams struggles are just killing them.

This was pretty easy to see coming with the only real question mark for me being Point’s health. That Florida is down 2-0 heading to Tampa and Tampa has done it without Point does not bode well for Florida — obviously — barring a massive turnaround.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Washington really shut down the Panthers offense at even-strength, especially not after game 3. Yes, the Panthers punished mistakes, but they were also manufacturing opportunities fairly regularly against Orlov/Jensen and Fehervary/Carlson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad