League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Are they really missing a top six winger? Ovechkin, Wilson, Mantha, Oshie. Kind of full, esp. from a cap commitment standpoint.
Oshie will probably miss 30games from whatever string of new injuries he has next year, and should probably be given more lenient even-strength minutes after that to try and keep him as healthy as possible for the playoffs. So adding another Top 6 RW can fit well with that.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I prefer they not cheap out and instead add a premium top-6 winger.

I guess that’s a matter of opinion. Oshie is more of a hybrid or middle-6er now.

I feel like they need a playdriving winger with speed.
Playdriving winger with speed, higher-end than Nuke, and from the other thread you're out on Forsberg. So you want Gaudreau?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Oshie will probably miss 30games from whatever string of new injuries he has next year, and should probably be given more lenient even-strength minutes after that to try and keep him as healthy as possible for the playoffs. So adding another Top 6 RW can fit well with that.
But then probably more of a right shot, yeah? Better still one with some center ability like Trocheck.

(It'll be Jarnkrok...)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Does anyone have a breakdown of Mantha’s play as LW vs. RW?

I’d be interested to see where he performs better. IIRC Burakovsky was noticeably better at RW than LW, so maybe Mantha is the same way.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I’d be interested to see where he performs better. IIRC Burakovsky was noticeably better at RW than LW, so maybe Mantha is the same way.
My understanding of Mantha was that he was a better LW than RW in Detroit, and I think that bore out here but it was kind of hard to tell in such a limited sample.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

Out of about 469 minutes played at 5 on 5, he spent 195 with Oshie, 124 with Wilson, and 82 with Sprong. That's over 85% of his minutes, and I'd assume all of them where as the LW. He also spent 49 minutes with McMichael, but virtually all of that was with McMichael playing center, and no other winger got more than 23 minutes with Mantha. Best I can tell he was pretty much exclusively a LW this year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They have to find a way to get Mantha shooting more. I appreciate his patience and vision but his one-timer is better than anyone not named Ovechkin and Carlson, and maybe Orlov and he’s got a great release on his snap shot as well. There’s an extra level of assertiveness that I think he can get to.

I think top six winger is a big need. Oshie will likely miss chunks of time with ailments, Wilson may need knee surgery, and Ovi will be 37. Sheary is fine as a replacement but I don’t think he should be stapled up there. Sheary and Oshie could be great third line wingers with Mantha and Wilson as the second line wingers or Wilson on the first line and Mantha + acquisition on the second line.

There’s plenty of bottom six winger types on this roster with Sheary, Hathaway, Johansson (if he’s back), AJF, Hags (if he’s back), Leason, etc.

Would like to see them trade Eller and Carlson and use those assets to bolster other areas of the roster (including a Carlson replacement). The trades would likely be done separately but in my EA brain I wonder if Minnesota would bite on Eller + Carlson for Fiala + Dumba as a baseline. Or maybe Winnipeg would be interested in a Pionk + Scheifele/Ehlers swap.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
They have to find a way to get Mantha shooting more. I appreciate his patience and vision but his one-timer is better than anyone not named Ovechkin and Carlson, and maybe Orlov and he’s got a great release on his snap shot as well. There’s an extra level of assertiveness that I think he can get to.

I think top six winger is a big need. Oshie will likely miss chunks of time with ailments, Wilson may need knee surgery, and Ovi will be 37. Sheary is fine as a replacement but I don’t think he should be stapled up there. Sheary and Oshie could be great third line wingers with Mantha and Wilson as the second line wingers or Wilson on the first line and Mantha + acquisition on the second line.

There’s plenty of bottom six winger types on this roster with Sheary, Hathaway, Johansson (if he’s back), AJF, Hags (if he’s back), Leason, etc.

Would like to see them trade Eller and Carlson and use those assets to bolster other areas of the roster (including a Carlson replacement). The trades would likely be done separately but in my EA brain I wonder if Minnesota would bite on Eller + Carlson for Fiala + Dumba as a baseline. Or maybe Winnipeg would be interested in a Pionk + Scheifele/Ehlers swap.
When looking at what the Capitals have, I would be fine with one of two options: playing a quality forward in the 3W role (the "Kessel" slot if you will) which Mantha would fit fairly well, or using Ovechkin in that 2/3 TOI slot at even strength and still leaning into his PP time to buoy overall impact.

I really don't know how that would sit with Ovechkin (who is very much the big dog) but I've been pretty adamant for a while now that the Capitals' best chance at contending comes when Ovechkin/Backstrom can be supplemental players on a team that arguably works without them, even if it's not nearly as good.

This setup:
Mantha - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Sheary - Eller/McMichael - Oshie

has holes but is okay. It's not a lineup that screams playoffs but it's also not one that lends to immediate disqualification. Punch Ovechkin in and he pretty obviously outplays Sheary, Backstrom is more of a coin flip depending on the hip, but it's not all bad. The move is to accelerate a second core to float the guys who can't do it at even strength reliably anymore, and then hope they can all channel the same 100% buy in come the playoffs. You've got rested veterans to shift in if the young guns can't handle the pressure, and you create mismatches every which way if everyone is online at the same time.

I wouldn't be upset at all if they pushed Lapierre to fit this end goal over the next 2 years, even if it ultimately breaks him as a prospect. That's the limit I'm willing to push in the Ovechkin window, but the salary cap really puts a limit on anything more aggressive.

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
For the record, I think the 'minor' salary adjustments and compensation adjustments the NHL made to offer-sheeting will have major consequences. Would you offer-sheet Noah Dobson at $4mil for a 2nd rounder? I couldn't make that phone call fast enough.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Calgary's start:

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: max21

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Ian friggin Cole... unreal. Must be nice to just have random puck luck success in OT.

Now this is the Flames team that was my SC pick!

Reactions: max21

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Calgary deserved a goal against for chanting “we want 10!” with over 50 mins left.

When did that chant become socially acceptable in a playoff game? FL fans do that too. Like - hey, how about: just win the game.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad