League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
And that is how you close out a game. Keep the pressure and don't turtle with a 1 goal lead

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
TBL gabe FLA a taste of their own medicine. Reversed scored them. But i still prefer FLA to win this series.

Reactions: max21

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Nichushkin with a goal for Colorado.

I can’t think of a better UFA target from Washington’s perspective. He’s a smart, two-way play driver who would easily elevate Washington’s top 6.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I hope Tampa control the series. Florida is too lippy. Win their first playoff series in 25+ years and think they're the shit.

Humble them old country way.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We should have taken that series in five, six at most but just too much stupid at inopportune times. Florida seems like a fairly easy team to exploit. They had a speed advantage that punished us on mistakes but they won’t have the same luxury against Tampa. I don’t think Florida has the structure and consistency to take down the Bolts… and that was without Point.

Reactions: ovikovy817

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nichushkin with a goal for Colorado.

I can’t think of a better UFA target from Washington’s perspective. He’s a smart, two-way play driver who would easily elevate Washington’s top 6.
I may (but probably won’t) go back and find my post from maybe three or four years ago proposing to trade for Nuke when he was terrible and out of favor in Dallas. I thought playing in the Trotz system and with Ovi, Kuzy, etc made him a really attractive turnaround target.

That said, hesitant to pay him top dollar for limited production when he had the benefit of playing with the best team in the NHL. Not saying he’s not great but I’d be nervous paying him what I think he’ll get.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I may (but probably won’t) go back and find my post from maybe three or four years ago proposing to trade for Nuke when he was terrible and out of favor in Dallas. I thought playing in the Trotz system and with Ovi, Kuzy, etc made him a really attractive turnaround target.

That said, hesitant to pay him top dollar for limited production when he had the benefit of playing with the best team in the NHL. Not saying he’s not great but I’d be nervous paying him what I think he’ll get.

I’m not really worried about his production, and besides over the last 3 years he’s scored at a higher clip at 5v5 than every Capital not named Ovechkin or Kuznetsov. He’s benefitted from his more skilled teammates but his teammates have also benefitted from him as well. And that is kind of why I think he’d be a good fit in DC. Ovechkin, Wilson, Oshie, Kuznetsov, and Carlson are all very skilled players but none of them really drive play to a major extent. I think having a player like Nichushkin on the team would help give these guys more good looks.

If he didn’t bring the other elements of his game I’d be more worried because scoring can be a bit fleeting, but even if he’s not scoring he’s a shutdown forward. If he were 30+ I’d be worried as well, but he’s 27. As far as UFAs go he seems like a low risk high reward target.

Reactions: RedRocking

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
He won't be low risk though. He's going to command a high salary for several seasons, since he's coming off such a good year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He won't be low risk though. He's going to command a high salary for several seasons, since he's coming off such a good year.

Yes he’ll be making a decent amount of money, but he profiles as a guy with a high floor. Even if he’s not scoring he’s a complete player. IMO he’ll drive play, he’ll defend, he’ll make his teammates better.

He’s just a smart, good player. Washington needs smart, good players.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I told on the mains that it isn't the Cats who won R1 but Caps lost.
And added that against a good team like TOR or TBL they will have no chance if they play like against the Cats.

And of course everybody thought I was trolling.

It was men vs boys

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Absolutely….buyer beware. Playing with a high flying roster and suddenly producing in a contract year is a huuuuuuuuge red flag for me. Dude also seems frail….

Yes he’ll be making a decent amount of money, but he profiles as a guy with a high floor. Even if he’s not scoring he’s a complete player. IMO he’ll drive play, he’ll defend, he’ll make his teammates better.

He’s just a smart, good player. Washington needs smart, good players.
For what he will get paid, he will need to score/produce to make the signing worthwhile. Otherwise we’re full up on guys who historically score low teens in goals and about 25-30 pts….

Last edited:
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Absolutely….buyer beware. Playing with a high flying roster and suddenly producing in a contract year is a huuuuuuuuge red flag for me. Dude also seems frail….

For what he will get paid, he will need to score/produce to make the signing worthwhile. Otherwise we’re full up on guys who historically score low teens in goals and about 25-30 pts….

As mentioned, his 5v5 scoring rate is higher than every Capital other than Ovechkin and Kuznetsov over the past 3 years. He has scored at a similar rate as Tomas Hertl, Nico Hischier, and Taylor Hall for reference.

So combine that level of scoring with a complete package player at age 27 who is unlikely to decline for several years, and it seems like a no brainer to target him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As mentioned, his 5v5 scoring rate is higher than every Capital other than Ovechkin and Kuznetsov over the past 3 years. He has scored at a similar rate as Tomas Hertl, Nico Hischier, and Taylor Hall for reference.

So combine that level of scoring with a complete package player at age 27 who is unlikely to decline for several years, and it seems like a no brainer to target him.
For a reasonable price sure…..maybe. Someone else can pay him top UFA $ for the promise to repeat his one good season. He’s a career low teens (goals)/20’s in points guy….

Also, will the guy suddenly even get close to putting in an 82 game season when he arrives here?

we need better IMO.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For a reasonable price sure…..maybe. Someone else can pay him top UFA $ for the promise to repeat his one good season. He’s a career low teens (goals)/20’s in points guy….

Also, will the guy suddenly even get close to putting in an 82 game season when he arrives here?

we need better IMO.

1652895032836.png

He's been a different player in Colorado than in Dallas. 22 goals/23 assists per 82 games, with very little of that coming on the power play. The underlyings are there, and the playdriving is there. Washington needs more guys like those in the lineup to help their skilled players get looks.

It'd be a gamble, sure, but this team needs to make calculated gambles if they hope to make any noise going forward. They have so many holes including a top 6 C, a top 6 winger, a goalie, and probably a top 4 RHD since I think they should be moving on from Carlson. They don't have the assets to make trades for all of these positions, so they'll need to make a smart pickup or two in free agency.

Maybe they can find a cheaper alternative at top 6 W that's just as good as Nichushkin elsewhere. I'm all for it. Nischushkin just sticks out as someone who at worst would be a higher motor and defensively superior Anthony Mantha for a cap hit that's likely not going to be much higher than Mantha's. And he would cost anything, other than money. I don't see any other UFAs right now that would provide a similar or better impact, other than the top end guys like Forsberg or Gaudreau.

Reactions: RedRocking

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Are they really missing a top six winger? Ovechkin, Wilson, Mantha, Oshie. Kind of full, esp. from a cap commitment standpoint. Backstrom to LTIR could free up a large chunk to play with but I doubt they're going to know 100% in five weeks.

Trading Eller, trading/signing a veteran goalie, some fringe depth signings, maybe a 3LD depth replacement and an injury hedge center is about all I suspect they'll be up to. If they were to trade Mantha or something, sure. Otherwise it's hard to see them heavily in the winger market. They have more subtle needs. I get the appeal of Gud Playerz but seems doubtful.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
View attachment 548747

He's been a different player in Colorado than in Dallas. 22 goals/23 assists per 82 games, with very little of that coming on the power play. The underlyings are there, and the playdriving is there. Washington needs more guys like those in the lineup to help their skilled players get looks.

It'd be a gamble, sure, but this team needs to make calculated gambles if they hope to make any noise going forward. They have so many holes including a top 6 C, a top 6 winger, a goalie, and probably a top 4 RHD since I think they should be moving on from Carlson. They don't have the assets to make trades for all of these positions, so they'll need to make a smart pickup or two in free agency.

Maybe they can find a cheaper alternative at top 6 W that's just as good as Nichushkin elsewhere. I'm all for it. Nischushkin just sticks out as someone who at worst would be a higher motor and defensively superior Anthony Mantha for a cap hit that's likely not going to be much higher than Mantha's. And he would cost anything, other than money. I don't see any other UFAs right now that would provide a similar or better impact, other than the top end guys like Forsberg or Gaudreau.
I prefer they not cheap out and instead add a premium top-6 winger.

Are they really missing a top six winger? Ovechkin, Wilson, Mantha, Oshie. Kind of full, esp. from a cap commitment standpoint. Backstrom to LTIR could free up a large chunk to play with but I doubt they're going to know 100% in five weeks.

Trading Eller, trading/signing a veteran goalie, some fringe depth signings, maybe a 3LD depth replacement and an injury hedge center is about all I suspect they'll be up to. If they were to trade Mantha or something, sure. Otherwise it's hard to see them heavily in the winger market. They have more subtle needs. I get the appeal of Gud Playerz but seems doubtful.
I guess that’s a matter of opinion. Oshie is more of a hybrid or middle-6er now.

I feel like they need a playdriving winger with speed.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I'd say they're probably one winger short of ideal, but your point about cap commitment is well-taken.

I think they can field a good top 6 as long as they acquire a legit center, and in that case I think adding a winger like Nichushkin would be an unnecessary luxury. However if they aren't able to acquire a center and instead end up relying on McMichael or Eller then they absolutely need another winger to round out and carry a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad