NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
"The owners of the Tampa Bay FireSticks have been wrestling mightily with our choice of lead singer for our Franchise Supergroup. We were thwarted by our rival's excellent choice of Ann Wilson, and had our minds set on [RANCH] for his 5-octave range and instrumental versatility; however, too much baggage is hanging over him for us to feel comfortable with him front and centre.

"What an unimaginable opportunity to 'make do' with one of the greatest rock singer icons of all time, Robert Plant!

RobertPlant800_5_20.jpg

"Mr. Plant fronted rock powerhouse Led Zeppelin from 1968 to 1980, which ended after the death of drummer John Bonham. The band recorded 9 albums, with Coda released in 1982. Mr. Plant and the other surviving members reunited several times and collaborated on other projects, such as the Honeydrippers and Plant and Page. He also enjoyed a successful solo career.

"Rolling Stone readers voted Mr. Plant the greatest of all lead singers in 2011, and he was Hit Parader's selection for the "Greatest Metal Vocalist of All Time"; however, he did not associate Led Zeppelin with heavy metal, pointing out the many acoustic hits the band released.

"Here is a full Led Zeppelin concert from 1973 at Madison Square Garden:

"With this pick, we put the cap on the full line-up of the Ecumusicals.

Lead singer: Robert Plant
Lead guitarist: Randy Rhoads
Rhythm guitarist: Jeff Healey
Bassist: Stuart Hamm
Keyboards: Keith Emerson
Drums: Nandi Bushell

"With much satisfaction, we will drop this mic ... so @ajgoal and @Rebels57 can decide who will make the next selection."

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
"The owners of the Tampa Bay FireSticks have been wrestling mightily with our choice of lead singer for our Franchise Supergroup. We were thwarted by our rival's excellent choice of Ann Wilson, and had our minds set on [RANCH] for his 5-octave range and instrumental versatility; however, too much baggage is hanging over him for us to feel comfortable with him front and centre.

"What an unimaginable opportunity to 'make do' with one of the greatest rock singer icons of all time, Robert Plant!

RobertPlant800_5_20.jpg

"Mr. Plant fronted rock powerhouse Led Zeppelin from 1968 to 1980, which ended after the death of drummer John Bonham. The band recorded 9 albums, with Coda released in 1982. Mr. Plant and the other surviving members reunited several times and collaborated on other projects, such as the Honeydrippers and Plant and Page. He also enjoyed a successful solo career.

"Rolling Stone readers voted Mr. Plant the greatest of all lead singers in 2011, and he was Hit Parader's selection for the "Greatest Metal Vocalist of All Time"; however, he did not associate Led Zeppelin with heavy metal, pointing out the many acoustic hits the band released.

"With much satisfaction, we will drop this mic ... so @ajgoal and @Rebels57 can decide who will make the next selection."

i-have-some-deeply-tragic-news-for-you-bad-news.gif

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

RobertPlant800_5_20.jpg

Plant was taken by @Rebels57.

We're done this time around, so you can tag His Defectiveness if you make a new pick.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

RobertPlant800_5_20.jpg

I'm not by my computer so I can't do a search but I thought he was taken?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

RobertPlant800_5_20.jpg

He’s on the fog isn’t he?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Pretend that I picked a really influential producer to go with the Dandy Lions. No need to add it to the spreadsheet. Our band is complete(unless I missed something obvious here)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I'm officially offering Roger Daltry to Bern to fill in for Plant. I won't be using him and he really should be coming to the QV.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

Plant was taken by @Rebels57.

We're done this time around, so you can tag His Defectiveness if you make a new pick.

I'm not by my computer so I can't do a search but I thought he was taken?

He’s on the fog isn’t he?

Ja, @BernieParent I'm not going to pile on. It was a good idea anyway, bud.

I swear I searched!!!

Okay, fine, baggage or not, we go back to our original idea and select Brendon Urie (Panic! At the Disco).

330px-Panic_at_the_Disco_Im_Park_2016_%2811_von_11%29.jpg

Here's a write-up from Critic of Music:
Wide 4-octave vocal range. Clean cut voice that pierces through heavy instrumentation. The lower register is solid and dark and is accessed without lowering the larynx, while his middle voice gains a bright quality. A great, incredibly bright mixed voice allows for an extensive and resonant belting range (See This is Gospel). His voice can soar into the sixth octave often with no strain. Easy, appealing rolling vibrato.

Mr. Urie is the only remaining member of Panic! At the Disco, and he played every instrument except for horns on the album Death of a Bachelor. Specifically, his instrumental versatility includes guitar, piano/keyboards, bass, and drums/percussion.

Of note to some franchise owners here, Mr. Urie also is notable for contributing the song "Not A Simple Sponge" to the SpongeBob SquarePants musical. On a more serious note, he launched the Highest Hopes Foundation in June 2018, which supports other non-profit organizations that advocate for human rights and support communities who are often discriminated against.

iu

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I'm officially offering Roger Daltry to Bern to fill in for Plant. I won't be using him and he really should be coming to the QV.

Much appreciation, @Asnito. I'll leave this generous offer up to the greater powers. If so, I'll go with him over Urie. This is a win to me either way.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Final Pick# Susanna Hoffs

6ac10e8f25ce5cc8ed6fb8622a110a6f.gif

1986 was a pretty heady year for young mja. I started really paying attention to sports (especially the Flyers & Eagles) and to music as well. Aside from the BttF soundtrack, Different Light was the first album I ever owned - on cassette. Something else I started noticing? Girls. And Hoffs' eye-roll above played no small part in that awakening. I know I'm far from alone in that.

I have no memory of it, but the first time I heard Chilton's September Gurls would have been on Different Light, sung by Hoffs' bandmate [Ranch]. The Bangles, initially the Bangs before a prior competing claim to the name forced a change, came out of the Paisley Underground scene that took the punk DIY ethos and used it to celebrate the garage / psychedelic / pop / rock music of Southern California in the 60's, specifically bands like the Byrds and Arthur Lee's Love.

The Paisley Underground was one of just many regional scenes playing out in the early 80's where local bands / friends influenced one another and a particular sound developed, with the Bangles garnering the most attention, and Hoffs being a key reason for that. They even inspired Prince, who named his estate after the scene and gave the Bangles Manic Monday.

He was also reportedly infatuated with Hoffs. The press was as well, and treated her as the star and de facto leader of the group, which she was not. That caused tension in the band, and by 89 those tensions proved too great to continue, and the band broke up. Since then, Hoffs went onto a disappointing solo career, as well as spending a lot of time covering classic tunes with [Ranch]. She's worked with Richard Lloyd, played reunited Bangles shows with good friend Aimee Mann on bass covering Love's 7 and 7 is live, and has been a very active participant in the all star Big Star's Third tribute shows. Here are the reunited Bangles playing September Gurls with Susanna on vocals. She's 60 years old here.

In the Quackverse, maybe Lloyd tells her about the project Chilton's putting together when she's recording her first solo album. She gives us another female voice, and I'm envisioning lots of great guitar interplay with soaring harmonies to go along with perfect pop hooks.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Final Pick# Susanna Hoffs

6ac10e8f25ce5cc8ed6fb8622a110a6f.gif

1986 was a pretty heady year for young mja. I started really paying attention to sports (especially the Flyers & Eagles) and to music as well. Aside from the BttF soundtrack, Different Light was the first album I ever owned - on cassette. Something else I started noticing? Girls. And Hoffs' eye-roll above played no small part in that awakening. I know I'm far from alone in that.

She rules so hard (phrasing). Great pick.

Reactions: Asnito and mja
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad