NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
She rules so hard (phrasing). Great pick.

Indeed.

Incidentally, the royalties from September Gurls' appearance on Different Light was the first real money Chilton saw since the beginning of his career with the Box Tops. There's a story out there that when the Bangles found out he initially didn't receive any royalties from their cover, they personally cut him a check for almost $20K.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
In an old school vein, I have four of the best MCs of all time and arguably the best DJ. Where to go from there?

There's a lot of weight and heft in this crew, so a moment to draw a breath is sorely needed. So what we're after now is a hype man - someone to interject, bring a little air in - both for the MC who is up and for the audience. Some might say by picking Chuck D I have ruled out the best hype man in the business, but I have the feeling it's RANCH himself saying that the loudest. Personally though, I like a hype man who can put in a verse now and again and not sound out of place so I'm going to take someone who traditionally MCs and move them into the role of hype man to mix a little fun in with these heavy hitters. While there are higher profile MCs out there I could bring into the fold, I feel like this touch of character will truly round this group out.

For the final spot in the superstar group now known as Public Knowledge, we select as our hype man Humpty Hump/Shock G.

@GKJ , doowutchyalike.

Great pick. When he died, it was an amazing example of how our memories work. When he was mentioned as Humpty, almost everyone knew him. When he was mentioned as Shock G, almost no one did until someone told them he was "the one who put the satin on ya panties." Then everyone knew exactly what that section of his career was too.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I swear I searched!!!

Okay, fine, baggage or not, we go back to our original idea and select Brendon Urie (Panic! At the Disco).

330px-Panic_at_the_Disco_Im_Park_2016_%2811_von_11%29.jpg

Here's a write-up from Critic of Music:

Mr. Urie is the only remaining member of Panic! At the Disco, and he played every instrument except for horns on the album Death of a Bachelor. Specifically, his instrumental versatility includes guitar, piano/keyboards, bass, and drums/percussion.

Of note to some franchise owners here, Mr. Urie also is notable for contributing the song "Not A Simple Sponge" to the SpongeBob SquarePants musical. On a more serious note, he launched the Highest Hopes Foundation in June 2018, which supports other non-profit organizations that advocate for human rights and support communities who are often discriminated against.

iu

The irony of a guy with an expansive vocal range naming his band after a song by a singer with a famously limited vocal range.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The irony of a guy with an expansive vocal range naming his band after a song by a singer with a famously limited vocal range.

I have zero knowledge about the band. My son likes (liked?) them and has spoken about Urie's vocal range, which is where I got this idea.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I have zero knowledge about the band. My son likes (liked?) them and has spoken about Urie's vocal range, which is where I got this idea.

I'm personally not a fan of Urie's music but he's definitely a talented singer. I am a fan of the guy with the limited vocal range (excepting the fact that he's a dick), i.e. Morrissey, but he was picked for @GKJ's Spite Band (because he's a dick).

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm personally not a fan of Urie's music but he's definitely a talented singer. I am a fan of the guy with the limited vocal range (excepting the fact that he's a dick), i.e. Morrissey, but he was picked for @GKJ's Spite Band (because he's a dick).

I feel the same way about P@tD, @mja. After making all of my selections for Supergroup 1 on theme first, I just went for pure musical talent this time around. Hence, the name 'Ecumusical', a riff on ecumenical (meaning universal) in an eclectic way.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's just me and Rebel left, and I am going to go because it won't effect him.

First I am going to add my last member, who I already have as my Team Composer. He is a freakishly great guitar player, but then he is a freakishly great musician in general. He plays damned near everything there is to play, and that versatility is always welcome. But I was kind of thinking along the same lines as Magua - I want the whole range of sound opened, and he does that. His compositions are beautiful and very cinematic (as you'd expect film scores to be), and I envision The Daring Surrenders doing a lot of concept work in their catalogue. So some orchestra stuff, and God knows what else.

Member (phrasing) - Jonny Greenwood - guitar, various instruments, composition

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Now here is the other thing I have to do. As you know, Sandwich sniped me viciously on drums, but I'm not here to cry about that anymore, if you can believe it. I'm just explaining what is happening. You see when I went to make my drummer pick I had the entire post typed out for the following drummer, and then suddenly changed to Jon Farriss. I don't know why, but I think it was mostly due to the strain of running multiple drafts at the same time. I have a hard time doing one thing at a time, so doing more than that is basically impossible without flaking out. I totally flaked on that pick.

Everything I said about Jon is true, but he is nowhere close to right for the sound of this band. So I am going to go back to my original pick, because otherwise I am never going to get a solid night's sleep. No one was going to pick him anyway, and we are at the end of the phase, so there shouldn't be any harm done.

Member (phrasing) - Rick Buckler - drums

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Now here is the other thing I have to do. As you know, Sandwich sniped me viciously on drums, but I'm not here to cry about that anymore, if you can believe it. I'm just explaining what is happening. You see when I went to make my drummer pick I had the entire post typed out for the following drummer, and then suddenly changed to Jon Farriss. I don't know why, but I think it was mostly due to the strain of running multiple drafts at the same time. I have a hard time doing one thing at a time, so doing more than that is basically impossible without flaking out. I totally flaked on that pick.

Everything I said about Jon is true, but he is nowhere close to right for the sound of this band. So I am going to go back to my original pick, because otherwise I am never going to get a solid night's sleep. No one was going to pick him anyway, and we are at the end of the phase, so there shouldn't be any harm done.

Member (phrasing) - Rick Buckler - drums

We can change picks now?

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Some music trivia.

How many number 1 singles did The Who have in the US?

Zero
They only had one top 10 hit in the US

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad