NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm already up again? Ok, then. No time for a write-up, but let's keep things moving.

The Star-Crossed Lovers
- that's the band name - need a bassist. They also need a female voice. We're going to keep an emphasis on songwriters as well.

0bb3ec2d6f9261eb6f6d7c4637b60890b6c4918a.gifv

Pick #5: Aimee Mann

Aimee brings a bit of new wave into the band to go along with its psychedelic pop / punk from her 'Til Tuesday days. Maybe instead of going solo at the end of that band's run she picks up with one of her heroes in Chilton.

Fun fact: Mann dated Al Jourgensen and was briefly a member of Ministry in an early incarnation, which she credits to helping her develop her songwriting chops.

@Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'm going to invoke the "one member from our team band" rule (and no, Billy Preston doesn't count) and take Paul McCartney because I can't be assed to think of a different bass player that hasn't been taken yet.

Thus concludes Outnumbered Americans (Get it? Three Brits to two Americans? I really suck at this naming thing):
Paul McCartney
John Fogerty
Pete Ham
Billy Preston
Charlie Watts

@Captain Dave Poulin Take it away, boss

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Another voice to add onto the lady layer cake, and one of my faves. Again, it's not perfect, and that's what I want. I need that sweet girly voice, and I will take the songwriting as well.

And one of my favorite songs of all time, for so many reasons beyond the actual song itself. It was featured in the one and only season of "My So-Called Life" where she had a pretty cringey guest appearance. but whatever. It has been there with me at some extremely important moments, most of which turned into eye-rolling farce, but then life is a cartoon, innit.

hatfield.png

Member (phrasing) - Juliana Hatfield - Vocals, Guitar

@Lord Defect

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Another voice to add onto the lady layer cake, and one of my faves. Again, it's not perfect, and that's what I want. I need that sweet girly voice, and I will take the songwriting as well.

And one of my favorite songs of all time, for so many reasons beyond the actual song itself. It was featured in the one and only season of "My So-Called Life" where she had a pretty cringey guest appearance. but whatever. It has been there with me at some extremely important moments, most of which turned into eye-rolling farce, but then life is a cartoon, innit.

hatfield.png

Member (phrasing) - Juliana Hatfield - Vocals, Guitar

@Lord Defect

Almost took her instead of Mann. Didn't mostly because she was too close to the 90's indie scene.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The Dandy Lions will be rounding out their line up of
Freddie Mercury - Lead Vocals/Piano
Pat Benatar -Vocals
Eric Gales - Guitar
Jim Keltner - Drums
and now from Caps favorite band, Les Claypool on bass

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The Dandy Lions will be rounding out their line up of
Freddie Mercury - Lead Vocals/Piano
Pat Benatar -Vocals
Eric Gales - Guitar
Jim Keltner - Drums
and now from Caps favorite band, Les Claypool on bass

mad-tantrum.gif

3 hours ago, I didn't know who this guy was. Now I will be royally ticked off for the rest of the evening that I won't have him as part of my Supergroup. Life is so strange.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Rounding out our supergroup.

Team Supergroup #2 Musician #5: Jimmy Destri (Blondie), Keyboards, Synth, Organ, Guitar, Backing vocals

So the full lineup for Triple Entendre is:

Nancy Wilson - Guitar, Vocals
David Byrne - Guitar, Vocals
John Taylor - Bass, vocals
Jimmy Destri - Keyboards, Synth, Organ, Guitar, vocals
Alex Van Halen - Drums

Fin.

@BernieParent

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
"The greatest blessing of these drafts is to be pushed past our own knowledge and experience to unearth gems in such a wide spectrum of categories, thereby expanding our interests and worldview. The greatest curse, however, is finding such a previously unknown gem, only to have it snatched away by another.

"However, we have learned through these hard lessons to be relentless in digging for standout individuals who will contribute their amazing talent to our nearly complete Supergroup. To fill the bass player position, the owners of the Tampa Bay FireSticks have found such a virtuoso. We are very pleased to select Stuart Hamm.

"Mr. Hamm first collaborated with soon-to-be-jettisoned-into-the-unforgiving-embrace-of-empty-space Steve Vai's first album. Through this musical relationship, Mr. Hamm went on to record with several of the guitar greats, including [RANCH], [RANCH], and [RANCH]. He released a solo album, Radio Free Albemuth, in 1988, showcasing his abilities on a number of original compositions spanning a variety of genres including fusion, country, and classical. On solo pieces like "Country Music (A Night in Hell)," he demonstrates his slapping and two-handed tapping proficiency as well as the ability to make the bass imitate the sounds of a wide range of instruments; the piece has since become a popular live piece. In this video clip from his performance with [RANCH] at the 1988 Montreux Jazz Festival, he plays a bass version of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata:

"A popular part of his live performance often includes a two-handed tapping arrangement of Vince Guaraldi's "Linus and Lucy" (from the animated television special A Charlie Brown Christmas).

"We are proud to add Mr. Hamm's talent and enthusiasm to entertain to our already stacked Supergroup, which we will officially name Ecumusical."

Next (?) up: @Rebels57.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My final band member took some thought. Billy Corgan can play guitar, bass, piano, electronics, sing, or create arrangements; Chad Smith has the drums on lock; Ellie Rowsell is my lead vocalist, a lyricist, and a multi-instrumentalist herself. I don't really need a bass or a lead guitarist. My band's sound is both particular and indefinable. I don't want someone overbearing; I want texture. So, I'm going to zag.

As our band's coda, the Honolulu Ghibli welcome aboard, Brian Eno (keyboard, synths, production)

15950a42b222b2d095bf24b5e80aadb408e76fd6

Eno's expertise is more primitive than music: he's a maestro of sound. A self-described "non-musician," with more of a background in visual art, Eno is one of the key figures in ambience music. In his own words, "Ambient Music is intended to induce calm and a space to think. Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting." Eno didn't always play instruments on his ambient recordings, sometimes he simply processed and manipulated the performances of others, which serves me just fine in searching out unique sounds.

All this sounds avant-garde -- and it is -- but Eno's a big piece of connective tissue between the avant-garde and mainstream pop/rock. Apart from his individual work, Eno's work as a producer and musician extends from Bowie (he's absolutely vital to his peak, "Berlin Trilogy"); David Byrne and the Talking Heads (their best stuff, such as Remain in Light, for which he has full writing credits); U2 (The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, etc.); and a long partnership with guitar genius, Robert Fripp.

Eno's ability to join artists and creatively direct them towards their best work is not happenstance. He didn't just channel their creative energies -- he changed them. Eno excels as a musical idea man. His use of polyrhythms (like with TH's "Once in a Lifetime"), synths, sonic layering, world music, drones (Edge's guitar in "With or Without You" is very Eno) can be found in the works of all these artists.

His methods to solve creative blocks or achieve spontaneity are renowned, including a card game he created, "Oblique Strategies," wherein a randomly selected card would create a musical problem to be solved. "Sense of Doubt" was a song entirely derived by Eno and Bowie from this exact method:

I'm seeing Eno come into my group and add his soundscape artistry. On openings or closings of songs; on bridges; on subtle layering or processing all throughout. He's a catalyst.

Last edited:

mja

Jan 7, 2005
My final band member took some thought. Billy Corgan can play guitar, bass, piano, electronics, sing, or create arrangements; Chad Smith has the drums on lock; Ellie Rowsell is my lead vocalist, a lyricist, and a multi-instrumentalist herself. I don't really need a bass or a lead guitarist. My band's sound is both particular and indefinable. I don't want someone overbearing; I want texture. So, I'm going to zag.

As our band's coda, the Honolulu Ghibli welcome aboard, Brian Eno (keyboard, synths, production)

15950a42b222b2d095bf24b5e80aadb408e76fd6

Eno's expertise is more primitive than music: he's a maestro of sound. A self-described "non-musician," with more of a background in visual art, Eno is one of the key figures in ambience music. In his own words, "Ambient Music is intended to induce calm and a space to think. Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting." Eno didn't always play instruments on his ambient recordings, sometimes he simply processed and manipulated the performances of others, which serves me just fine in searching out unique sounds.

All this sounds avant-garde -- and it is -- but Eno's a big piece of connective tissue between the avant-garde and mainstream pop/rock. Apart from his individual work, Eno's work as a producer and musician extends from Bowie (he's absolutely vital to his peak, "Berlin Trilogy"); David Byrne and the Talking Heads (their best stuff, such as Remain in Light, for which he has full writing credits); U2 (The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, etc.); and a long partnership with guitar genius, Robert Fripp.

Eno's ability to join artists and creatively direct them towards their best work is not happenstance. He didn't just channel their creative energies -- he changed them. Eno excels as a musical idea man. His use of polyrhythms (like with TH's "Once in a Lifetime"), synths, sonic layering, world music, drones (Edge's guitar in "With or Without You" is very Eno) can be found in the works of all these artists.

His methods to solve creative blocks or achieve spontaneity are renowned, including a card game he created, "Oblique Strategies," wherein a randomly selected card would create a musical problem to be solved. "Sense of Doubt" was a song entirely derived by Eno and Bowie from this exact method:

I'm seeing Eno come into my group and add his soundscape artistry. On openings or closings of songs; on bridges; on subtle layering or processing all throughout. He's a catalyst.

Thought hard about taking him last time. Definitely would have taken him if we were to do another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad