NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
"Noice."

That was my response to @GKJ when he took Sebastien Grainger of Death From Above 1979 a couple days ago. I would have offered some additional praise in my response if not for the fact that I WAS TOO BUSY CLEANING THE SHIT OUT OF MY PANTS. You see, DFA1979 consists of only 2 members; one of which is the massively necessary final piece of the Sexpos' 2nd Supergroup puzzle. So you can imagine my shock and awe when I was scrolling this thread and saw a couple DFA1979 album covers pop up via YouTube links. Suddenly the seat of my pants was wet and heavy.

Lucky for us, he took the wrong guy. At least from our perspective. So long story short, I shit myself for no reason, but it was all worth it to make our fourth and final selection to round out the 2nd Supergroup of the Sexpos.

This gentleman has taken his melodic post-hardcore and dance-punk aesthetic and honed a sound recognizable as entirely his own. Many have tried to copy this sound, but they all fall short. It is entirely unique, and it's all created using only a bass guitar. Just listen to these delicious riffs and tell me they won't fit in perfectly with what Ty, Liz, and Matt will be pumping out. And yes, that sound really is coming from a bass.

Member - Jesse Keeler (bass & synthesizer)

Band name to follow.

Hey @JojoTheWhale get the f*** up and dance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
"Noice."

That was my response to @GKJ when he took Sebastien Grainger of Death From Above 1979 a couple days ago. I would have offered some additional praise in my response if not for the fact that I WAS TOO BUSY CLEANING THE SHIT OUT OF MY PANTS. You see, DFA1979 consists of only 2 members; one of which is the massively necessary final piece of the Sexpos' 2nd Supergroup puzzle. So you can imagine my shock and awe when I was scrolling this thread and saw a couple DFA1979 album covers pop up via YouTube links. Suddenly the seat of my pants was wet and heavy.

Lucky for us, he took the wrong guy. At least from our perspective. So long story short, I shit myself for no reason, but it was all worth it to make our fourth and final selection to round out the 2nd Supergroup of the Sexpos.

This gentleman has taken his melodic post-hardcore and dance-punk aesthetic and honed a sound recognizable as entirely his own. Many have tried to copy this sound, but they all fall short. It is entirely unique, and it's all created using only a bass guitar. Just listen to these delicious riffs and tell me they won't fit in perfectly with what Ty, Liz, and Matt will be pumping out. And yes, that sound really is coming from a bass.

Member - Jesse Keeler (bass & synthesizer)

Band name to follow.

Hey @JojoTheWhale get the f*** up and dance.

Well, damn. I was hoping to get him for the third run.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Well then I guess it's time to decide on a guitarist. I've gone back and forth on this one since SUPERGROUP 2 was announced, but once the double member clause was no longer an issue, I was probably always going to end up here. He has the huge advantage for this setup of working around a heavy, forward bass and can also be counted on to knock the lyrics out of the park.

20200808_160208-jpg.4263490

Lead Guitar -- D. Boon

It was bands like Minutemen that changed the idea of how a punk band could sound. I've seen them described as a jazz/hardcore fusion trio and can't really argue. I suppose that can only come out of an upbringing like D Boon's, unexposed to most of popular music and inspired by artists like 60s country star RANCH, 70s funk institution RANCH, and 60s songwriter/bandleader/lunatic Captain RANCH.

We're going to skip the rest of the albums due to time constraints and go straight to one of the most important records ever made to my own personal musical journey. Recorded mostly in one take, 1984's Double Nickels on the Dime is a constant on every best X albums list with good reason. Mike Watt's bass is tremendous as always. RANCH's drumming holds everything together. But the defining sound of the album is D Boon's Telecaster. D Boon didn't use power chords. He didn't use distortion. He turned his treble way up and dropped his bass down to almost nothing.

I can't imagine hearing this in context in 1984 given the popular music of the time.

That "punk rock changed our lives" cut at 0:27 was also sampled in the first few seconds of one of the other albums that changed my life, RANCH's RANCH Oz to RANCH.

I said before I can give you 5,000 words on this song without blinking an eye, but I'll leave it at this being one of my absolute favorite artistic outputs from any medium.

@Captain Dave Poulin So ends my band. As much as I would like to make one specific other selection, any more for this particular approach and the sound is going to get weird.

@Asnito Two Minutemen being taken makes me very, very happy. Great job, my friend. Now pick someone else before Cap yells at me.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin So ends my band. As much as I would like to make one specific other selection, any more for this particular approach and the sound is going to get weird.

@Asnito Two Minutemen being taken makes me very, very happy. Great job, my friend. Now pick someone else before Cap yells at me.

I didn't realize he was just 27 when he died. Another one. Shit.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I didn't realize he was just 27 when he died. Another one. Shit.

This one bothers me too because it incorrectly gets quoted as the driver (his fiancee) falling asleep. The left rear axle broke off the van entirely and she blacked out as it was already rolling. This was a common issue on that particular model, resulting in a class action suit.

There wasn't a thing she could do.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
To round out my still nameless band, I'm proud to select my favorite drummer today: LUKE HOLLAND

Now Luke primarily drums "loudly". His main vein places him into the hard rock sphere, but he is capable of it all. He incorporates the tastiest fills I've ever heard and settles into some of the most creatively tight grooves you'll ever have the pleasure to hear. Plus his kick is the stuff of legends

Most importantly, for my band, he is EXCELLENT polyrhythmically and as a "percussionist". He regularly incorporates proficient use of stacks, chinas, and other "sound effects" percussion. His clean hi hat work coupled with all of this will assimilate him perfectly into the instrumental nature of this band; he is one of the rare drummers who uses his drums as a musical instrument instead of a metronome.

Click around the related videos for some of his other works, but I'll link this to illustrate what I mean in the paragraph above. If you don't have 5 mins to spare, just skip to the middle 8 at the 2:30 mark and list to the next minute:

@landsbergfan

And this just to demonstrate his entire skillset of creativity and technicality:

@JojoTheWhale quickly making his way toward ghost note rushmore

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
To round out my still nameless band, I'm proud to select my favorite drummer today: LUKE HOLLAND

Now Luke primarily drums "loudly". His main vein places him into the hard rock sphere, but he is capable of it all. He incorporates the tastiest fills I've ever heard and settles into some of the most creatively tight grooves you'll ever have the pleasure to hear. Plus his kick is the stuff of legends

Most importantly, for my band, he is EXCELLENT polyrhythmically and as a "percussionist". He regularly incorporates proficient use of stacks, chinas, and other "sound effects" percussion. His clean hi hat work coupled with all of this will assimilate him perfectly into the instrumental nature of this band; he is one of the rare drummers who uses his drums as a musical instrument instead of a metronome.

Click around the related videos for some of his other works, but I'll link this to illustrate what I mean in the paragraph above. If you don't have 5 mins to spare, just skip to the middle 8 at the 2:30 mark and list to the next minute:

@landsbergfan

And this just to demonstrate his entire skillset of creativity and technicality:

I’ve never heard of him, but holy shit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

@landsbergfan

I have a nameless bassist for you. Hit me up.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad