NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The FOG will be adding DRUMMER MATT CAMERON to the group.

Not many drummers in history can say they were part of not one, but TWO of the biggest, best, most influential bands of their era.

Cameron was first the drummer for Soundgarden between 1986 and 1997 and then again from 2010 to 2017 when the band disbanded following Cornell's death.

Since 1998, Cameron has been the drummer of a little band known as Pearl Jam.

That's right, for a 7 year period between 2010 and 2017, he was the drummer for both.

More than any other drummer, Matt Cameron laid the rhythmic foundation for the Nineties rock revolution, reconciling proggy technicality with overwhelming force. He aptly characterized his rotary-blade rhythms on the 1991 Soundgarden track "Jesus Christ Pose" as "a pure assault of the senses," but that efficient brutality wasn't necessarily characteristic of Cameron's work with the band – his drumming on Superunknown is as thoughtful as it is heavy, from the fluid asymmetry of "Spoonman" to the unshakeable backbeat of "Fell on Black Days." Twenty years after its release, Dave Grohl was still raving, "Nobody played drums like Matt." When Soundgarden suddenly disbanded in 1997, Cameron wasn't out of work for long: Pearl Jam invited him on tour the following year. "They didn't try to tone me down at all," he told an interviewer near the beginning of his ongoing stint with the band. "I'm kind of known for playing weird, crazy fills and sometimes playing things I shouldn't be playing, but they loved it — at least that's what they told me."

Group so far

Lead Guitar/Back-up Vocals- JACK WHITE
Drummer - MATT CAMERON
Bass/Back-up Vocals - LAURA LEE
Rhythm Guitar/Production/Back-up Vocals - BECK

Last edited:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I feel obligated to take Billy Preston on keys here.

billy-preston.jpg

@mja

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Everyone is paying attention to something else, so it seems as good a time as any to pick up our second guitarist/vocalist with our makeup pick:

Team Supergroup #2 Musician #4: David Byrne (Talking Heads), Guitar, Lead/Backing Vocals

Still mja.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I've been focusing on songwriters thus far and that isn't going to change, but with Chilton, Lee, & Lloyd, we're really guitar heavy. We need a drummer. Luckily, there's someone on the board who is not only a badass drummer but also a great vocalist and songwriter.

grant-hart.jpg

Pick #4: Grant Hart

Hart inherited his older brother's drum kit after he died in a car accident, and by 14 was drumming professionally in Minnesota. He was one of the two primary songwriters for the hardcore trash cum power pop trio Hüsker Dü, along with [Liverwurst]. Early on, the Hüskers were pure thrash, playing lightning quick noisy punk with gnashing guitars and wailing vocals backed by Hart's driving beat, but soon evolved into something far more sophisticated, crafting songs filled with strong melodic hooks while retaining a punk edge. For his part, Hart didn't just write his own songs, he also sung them while beating the hell out of his kit, which he liked to play barefoot. Here are some of his best:

The ability of Hart's songs to shine through the 80's punk production values is a real testament to his talent.

While they influenced pretty much every one on the scene with their marriage of aggression and melody, Hüsker Dü couldn't quite break through and there was a lot of rivalry and strife in the band, caused in no small part by Hart's heroin addiction. They split ways in 87 after their major label efforts flopped and their band manager took his own life. Frustratingly, there aren't really any great live clips out there of them out there on the internet, though there is a strange performance on the Joan Rivers show, of all things, on their last tour.

Hart continued to make music afterwards, jumping up to guitar both with a new band and solo, touring with none other than Alex Chilton. He died of cancer in 2017. In the Quackverse, Hart going to get clean and meet up with Chilton & Co. a little earlier in the late 80's.

@BiggE

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I've been focusing on songwriters thus far and that isn't going to change, but with Chilton, Lee, & Lloyd, we're really guitar heavy. We need a drummer. Luckily, there's someone on the board who is not only a badass drummer but also a great vocalist and songwriter.

Pick #4: Grant Hart

Hart inherited his older brother's drum kit after he died in a car accident, and by 14 was drumming professionally in Minnesota. He was one of the two primary songwriters for the hardcore trash cum power pop trio Hüsker Dü, along with [Liverwurst]. Early on, the Hüskers were pure thrash, playing lightning quick noisy punk with gnashing guitars and wailing vocals backed by Hart's driving beat, but soon evolved into something far more sophisticated, crafting songs filled with strong melodic hooks while retaining a punk edge. For his part, Hart didn't just write his own songs, he also sung them while beating the hell out of his kit, which he liked to play barefoot. Here are some of his best:

Imagine how big they would have been if they came out just five years later than they did.

Reactions: pit, mja and BiggE

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin Robert Fripp was a member of king crimson, but king crimson had about 4 completely different iterations of which he was about the only constant.

Can I pick someone who was in king crimson for a short time but left and formed his own band?

I don't know much about them, but here's what I would say. If you say his name and people think "He was in King Crimson," then you probably shouldn't pick him. If he was just incidentally in there for a bit, it's probably fine. If you are reasonably sure that no one else would pick him, then it's probably fine, too.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I don't know much about them, but here's what I would say. If you say his name and people think "He was in King Crimson," then you probably shouldn't pick him. If he was just incidentally in there for a bit, it's probably fine. If you are reasonably sure that no one else would pick him, then it's probably fine, too.
I'm going to go in a different direction then just in case.

I'm backed into a corner with my Chris Squire pick. I mean we're talking about an absolute legend, but it's taken some huge names off the board for me. That being said, I'm going to chose IAN ANDERSON as our co-lead singer with Gilmour. Also lead flute.

I'm not anticipating many pop hits from this band. I'm envisioning a lot of instrumentals and 5 song records - I mean...think King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Jethro Tull. The kings of the instrumental. I believe Anderson and Gilmour have differing voices to keep the listener on their toes as they trade rare verses in 11 minute songs, and though I consider Gilmour to have the premiere, more ethereal "prog rock" voice that I have in mind as the best fit for this theoretical sound, Anderson's voice will do just fine. What I'm most excited about is his flute which will slot very, very nicely in the ethereal sound I'm going for

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm going to go in a different direction then just in case.

I'm backed into a corner with my Chris Squire pick. I mean we're talking about an absolute legend, but it's taken some huge names off the board for me. That being said, I'm going to chose IAN ANDERSON as our co-lead singer with Gilmour. Also lead flute.

I'm not anticipating many pop hits from this band. I'm envisioning a lot of instrumentals and 5 song records - I mean...think King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Jethro Tull. The kings of the instrumental. I believe Anderson and Gilmour have differing voices to keep the listener on their toes as they trade rare verses in 11 minute songs, and though I consider Gilmour to have the premiere, more ethereal "prog rock" voice that I have in mind as the best fit for this theoretical sound, Anderson's voice will do just fine. What I'm most excited about is his flute which will slot very, very nicely in the ethereal sound I'm going for

Ian will write much better songs, I am 100% sure of that.

Reactions: BiggE

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I’m going to punt on my lead guitarist for exactly one more round because I have no idea how to choose between the two people that comprised my initial list. Meanwhile my wishlist of drummers had exactly one name on it and he happens to still be standing. A man with two legendary runs in completely different styles of band. A drummer who also frequently handled songwriting duties. A trendsetting producer. A survivor of both a giant pulmonary aneurysm, but also a brain tumor the size of a baseball. A drummer who can give you a surf beat with clear Latin influences and still make it work.

79448671_10158039132781579_1570877068671975424_n.jpg

Drummer: Bill Stevenson

I’m not a drummer, but I’m still going to use my clips here to illustrate some interesting things Stevenson did rather than songs I particularly enjoy. I couldn’t find free clear live video, so you’ll just have to trust me on a few aspects.

At the ridiculous age of 14, Stevenson became one of the founding members and primary songwriter of the SoCal hardcore-turned-skate punk giants, Descendents. His signature machine-gun rolls define the Descendents’ entire sound.

I absolutely love the single-stroke snare rolls here:

This entire album is littered with a fantastic riff of left-handed 8ths on a snare and 4ths with his right on the crash symbol and hats.

With Descendents on hiatus, Stevenson joined Black Flag, resulting in their most well-regarded period. Stevenson was the bedrock that gave RANCH the room to incorporate aspects of so many genres to his guitar playing. Normally I wouldn’t choose a single for an example like this, but Stevenson absolutely crushes the opening and bridge here.

@Magua It’s quite pleasant having no overlap whatsoever with a neighbor for a change.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
With Descendents on hiatus, Stevenson joined Black Flag, resulting in their most well-regarded period. Stevenson was the bedrock that gave [Ranch] the room to incorporate aspects of so many genres to his guitar playing. Normally I wouldn’t choose a single for an example like this, but Stevenson absolutely crushes the opening and bridge here.

Now, you're just straight pick-tipping. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad