NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The Methgators are mildly not displeased to select Hall of Fame defenseman Flash Hollet
upload_2021-4-24_12-20-41.jpeg

a bit about ol Flash:

Hollett was first noticed by Maple Leafs owner Conn Smythe as he was playing lacrosse with REDACTED.[1] He apprenticed in the minor leagues before being loaned to the Senators for the 1933–34 NHL season. After that - which was the original Senators' final season in Ottawa - Hollett played for the Leafs for a season and a half before being sold to the Bruins for $16,000, at the time one of the highest prices ever paid for a player.

Known for his swift skating stride and strong puckhandling ability, Hollett became one of the top offensive defencemen of his day. He played for eight seasons in Boston, and was a star defenceman on the Bruins' Stanley Cupchampionship teams of 1939 and 1941. In 1942, he set a record for goals by a defenceman with 19, a mark he tied the following season, after which he was named to the league's Second All-Star Team.

Hollett was traded to the Red Wings midseason in 1944, and the following year broke his own mark for goals in a season by a defenceman with 20[2] en route to a citation on the league's First All-Star Team; this record would stand for a quarter-century before being surpassed by Bobby Orr.
Hollett retired having scored 132 goals and 181 assists for 313 points in 565 NHL games; at the time of his retirement, he was the highest scoring defenceman in league history. In 79 NHL playoff games, he added 8 goals and 26 assists for 34 points. Hollett was the last member of the original-era Ottawa Senators still active at the time of his retirement.

Now all of the above is nice, but the real reason we selected Flash is that his name kind of sounds like flush toilet and we find that quite amusing.

@CanadianFlyer88 , make a choice

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Reading up on legends goalies has been one of my favourite parts of this exercise. I have a few books on hockey history, so some names and minor facts have been burned into my brain, but once Tretiak came off the board in the first legends round, I have been forcing myself to learn more about these clearly insane gentlemen who thought it would be a good idea to stop vulcanized rubber with minimal protection and no helmets.

Our back up legends goalie comes from the era that made the game what it is today. He broke into the league in 1928 earning a shutout in his first career start for the Bruins. He finished his rookie year with 26 wins in 44 games posting the second best GAA of all time, a miniscule 1.15, only behind a 0.94 GAA set by [REDACTED] in the same season. The Bruins would go on to win the Cup that season (their first ever), the only championship of this goalie's career.

The next season, his GAA ballooned to a disgusting 2.19 with the NHL finally allowing the forward pass. He would lead the league in GAA multiple times, going on to win four Vezina Trophies.

He has some interesting notable achievements in his career:

*An adept puck handler, he is the first goalie to be credited with an assist.
*He is the goalie that popularized catching the puck with his free hand.
*He faced his brother Paul in the 28/29 Stanley Cup Final, the first ever meeting of brothers for the Cup.
*He and his brother were named first team all stars in 1938, only the second ever brother combo with this honour.
*His 38-5-1 record in 1930 is the highest winning percentage for a goalie in NHL history for qualified goalies. The Bruins were upset in the Final that year by Montreal.
*He was the goalie on the losing side of a six overtime playoff game in 1933 that ended 1-0. After the fifth OT, both teams asked the league to postpone the game to the next day, but were denied. The game then ended 4 minutes into the next period.
*His 81 shutouts were second all time when he retired. He now sits 6th.
*He stands 5'10, 160 pounds, but his nickname is "Tiny" and I can't, for the life of me, find out how he earned that nickname. :laugh: Edit: it actually looks like he earned it ironically, for being the tallest player on his team.

His remarkable career ended with a HHoF induction in 1959.

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to add Tiny Thompson to our club!

s-l300.jpg

@mja noted an interesting fact about his lineup, which made me look into my own. With the addition of Thompson, we now have at least two players who played in every decade from 1910 on and one player that played from 1900-1910. Like most, the 1970s and 1980s dominate the selections, but I do like how my club spans multiple eras.

@Rebels57, hit us up with a double dip!

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to add Tiny Thompson to our club!

View attachment 425853

@mja noted an interesting fact about his lineup, which made me look into my own. With the addition of Thompson, we now have at least two players who played in every decade from 1910 on and one player that played from 1900-1910. Like most, the 1970s and 1980s dominate the selections, but I do like how my club spans multiple eras.

@Rebels57, hit us up with a double dip!

Your team's Legend back end also is 50% on alliteration.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With our next pick, the PORTLAND FOG select Flyers Hall of Famer and crucial member of the Bullies, Center RICK MacLEISH; arguably a Top 5 Forward in Flyers history.

"Ricky was the most talented player the Flyers had during the 1970s," Clarke said after hearing sad news of his passing.

He led all NHL players in playoff scoring in both 74 and 75.

Rick MacLeish Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

And thus completes our 3rd Legends Forward Line

Ciccarelli - MacLeish - Bondra

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
With our next pick, the PORTLAND FOG select Flyers Hall of Famer and crucial member of the Bullies, Center RICK MacLEISH; arguably a Top 5 Forward in Flyers history.

"Ricky was the most talented player the Flyers had during the 1970s," Clarke said after hearing sad news of his passing.

He led all NHL players in playoff scoring in both 74 and 75.

Rick MacLeish Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

And thus completes our 3rd Legends Forward Line

Ciccarelli - MacLeish - Bondra

Another guy who I couldn't believe was available so late. Almost deviated from my theme to pick him in the first round of this phase.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
We are in an age where the defensive defenseman is often underappreciated, but some of the most heralded players of past eras were not known for their scoring abilities from the back end. Such is the case for the next selection by the Seattle Sockeyes, Red Wings legend, Jack "Black Jack" Stewart.

Only scoring 31 goals and 115 points in 565 games over a 12 year career, Jack Stewart was one of the most feared body checkers in hockey history, but was also commended for his puck poise and ability to transition his team out of its own zone. Paired with one of the best names in hockey history, [REDACTED], the duo anchored the Wings to two Stanley Cups in 43 and 50.

His on ice rivalry with Bruins forward, Milt Schmidt, often overshadowed the games themselves, as these two would seek each other out for devastating open ice hits.

He finished his hockey playing career with the Chatham Maroons, becoming an inspiration for my uncle in his early hockey playing days. Stewart was elected to the HHoF in 1964.

The nickname "Black Jack" was given to Stewart because one of his body check victims was knocked out and woke up in the hospital saying he felt like his head was hit with a "black jack". Stewart hated the nickname because he thought it painted him as a dirty player, which he was decidedly not. His peers agreed that, while he was one tough SOB, he did not cross the line into the realm of dirty.

Welcome to the PNW as our next LD, Jack Stewart!

black-jack-stewart-detroit-red-wings-defenceman.png

@BiggE, dazzle us some more, good sir!

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It’s great to be right back here, in Jacksonville Florida!!
upload_2021-4-24_14-53-4.gif

Now, um, well, Mrs Foley’s baby boy is always happy to spend some time in Methgators country. In fact, this one time, me and that curtain jerker, Al Snow, were..
upload_2021-4-24_14-54-7.gif

VM: JUST READ THE DAMN CARD, YOU NITWIT!!
upload_2021-4-24_14-54-30.gif

Um, ok dad. The Methgators official tv/film character is a sick, twisted individual who Mankind simply adores. So, please welcome to the Methgators, the one, the only, DEXTER MORGAN!!
upload_2021-4-24_14-54-59.gif

DM: Hmmm, I think me and my dark passenger are gonna have some fun here.
upload_2021-4-24_14-55-23.gif

@BernieParent , please bring some class and dignity back to this thread

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It’s great to be right back here, in Jacksonville Florida!!
View attachment 425885
Now, um, well, Mrs Foley’s baby boy is always happy to spend some time in Methgators country. In fact, this one time, me and that curtain jerker, Al Snow, were..
View attachment 425886
VM: JUST READ THE DAMN CARD, YOU NITWIT!!
View attachment 425887
Um, ok dad. The Methgators official tv/film character is a sick, twisted individual who Mankind simply adores. So, please welcome to the Methgators, the one, the only, DEXTER MORGAN!!
View attachment 425888

DM: Hmmm, I think me and my dark passenger are gonna have some fun here.
View attachment 425889

@BernieParent , please bring some class and dignity back to this thread
Solid pick.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks, @BiggE. I'll do my best, considering the high (ahem) bar you have set.

"The Tampa Bay FireSticks are pleased to select for our legendary line-up Geraldine Heaney for our third-line defence corps.

iu

"Ms. Heaney played 18 seasons and more than 1000 games in the Ontario Women's Hockey Association. She was named the most valuable defenseman 3 times and a 2-time Olympian with the Canadian women's hockey team, winning silver in 1998 and gold in 2002. An offensive defenseman, Ms. Heaney was compared to Bobby Orr, particularly for her flight through the air after scoring the gold medal-winning goal.

"Ms. Heaney was one of the first 3 female inductees to the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame in 2008, and the third woman to be inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame (2014)."

Here's the microphone, @Strawberry Fields.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Thanks, @BiggE. I'll do my best, considering the high (ahem) bar you have set.

"The Tampa Bay FireSticks are pleased to select for our legendary line-up Geraldine Heaney for our third-line defence corps.

iu

"Ms. Heaney played 18 seasons and more than 1000 games in the Ontario Women's Hockey Association. She was named the most valuable defenseman 3 times and a 2-time Olympian with the Canadian women's hockey team, winning silver in 1998 and gold in 2002. An offensive defenseman, Ms. Heaney was compared to Bobby Orr, particularly for her flight through the air after scoring the gold medal-winning goal.

"Ms. Heaney was one of the first 3 female inductees to the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame in 2008, and the third woman to be inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame (2014)."

Here's the microphone, @Strawberry Fields.

upload_2021-4-24_16-37-55.gif

upload_2021-4-24_16-38-12.gif

upload_2021-4-24_16-38-28.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I’m definitely going off the board with this next pick, as I have for all of my nostalgia picks, but Cap is scaring me with all of his 87 Flyers picks and this is a guy I’ve been planning to take for my legend bottom six since the inception of my franchise, so I'm moving this pick up a round.

One of my favorite players of all time, C Pelle Eklund.

Ev2LffkXPbmdX7ypHS1vIIwoRBoNTE2eoZ_ELF7HmnCnb29VnU2KVG-0TNVev8B6zohtlxE5zUnS_uWdPY8zBRBUHb0CAi6ctbzcJziSd5gxWOo_6h1Cr4XlKTwY5rnoO_aScMJf

Pelle was a skilled playmaker who played a clean game during a rough and tumble era, and if other teams so much as breathed on him, they had to deal with every Flyer on the ice trying to rip their head off, if not Methgator Dave Brown, who incidentally was the only hockey player that ever scared me--and that was while I was rooting for him!

Unfortunately, Pelle’s good name has been sullied by some dweeb who fraudulently peddles his delusional ramblings as legitimate league scuttlebutt. It pains all of us at NJFZ headquarters to know that this person has also been brought into the Quackverse, but we take solace in the fact that he’s part of such a defective franchise. Perhaps he can be ejected from the ship mid-journey.

@Hollywood Couturier, it's all you

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I’m definitely going off the board with this next pick, as I have for all of my nostalgia picks, but Cap is scaring me with all of his 87 Flyers picks and this is a guy I’ve been planning to take for my legend bottom six since the inception of my franchise, so I'm moving this pick up a round.

One of my favorite players of all time, C Pelle Eklund.

Ev2LffkXPbmdX7ypHS1vIIwoRBoNTE2eoZ_ELF7HmnCnb29VnU2KVG-0TNVev8B6zohtlxE5zUnS_uWdPY8zBRBUHb0CAi6ctbzcJziSd5gxWOo_6h1Cr4XlKTwY5rnoO_aScMJf

Pelle was a skilled playmaker who played a clean game during a rough and tumble era, and if other teams so much as breathed on him, they had to deal with every Flyer on the ice trying to rip their head off, if not Methgator Dave Brown, who incidentally was the only hockey player that ever scared me--and that was while I was rooting for him!

Unfortunately, Pelle’s good name has been sullied by some dweeb who fraudulently peddles his delusional ramblings as legitimate league scuttlebutt. It pains all of us at NJFZ headquarters to know that this person has also been brought into the Quackverse, but we take solace in the fact that he’s part of such a defective franchise. Perhaps he can be ejected from the ship mid-journey.

@Hollywood Couturier, it's all you

Awesome choice! The Kerr/Eklund pp connection was awe inspiring!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Would have been my pick ages ago if I didnt already have Leetch. One Ranger is enough for me lol. Cant believe he lasted this long.

Him being a Ranger was a definite strike against him for me. He was on my shortlist but it would have hurt a bit picking him.

How the hell was he not selected yet?

There are actually quite a few great goalies left on the board, including HOFers you've actually heard of or that some of us have even watched play. Much better than the pickings at D, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad