NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Saw this in the wild today. Was this not picked or at least mentioned here? I could've sworn someone (Canadian Flyer?) picked it for something but I couldn't find it in the spreadsheet.
20210423_161606.jpg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Saw this in the wild today. Was this not picked or at least mentioned here? I could've sworn someone (Canadian Flyer?) picked it for something but I couldn't find it in the spreadsheet.
View attachment 425620
Yep, picked it as my cereal, which was a real thing.

I can't believe the DVD exists in the wild. :laugh:

Edit: only 3 episodes for $3? I think they're all on YouTube anyway...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Mario was still in his era. Here’s an example for you:

Aurel Joliat was a Hall of Famer from the 1920s and 30s. He was 5’7 and weighed around 135. You really think he’d be an NHL all star today if a time machine could bring him to our era?

And yet hockey was arguably more intentionally violent (stick swinging, etc.) in that era than now.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The Pufts , if we were on death row, and had to choose a last meal, are selecting the meal from the wafer thin mint scene from Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, minus it all being mixed together.
We’re going out on our own terms

He is served moules marinières, pâté de foie gras, beluga caviar, Eggs Benedict, a leek tart, frogs' legs amandine and quail's eggs with puréed mushrooms all mixed in a bucket with the quail eggs on top and a double helping of pâté. The appetizers are followed by the main course of jugged hare, with a sauce of truffles, bacon, Grand Marnier, anchovies and cream. For drinks, Mr. Creosote has six bottles of Château Latour 1945, a Methuselah (Double Jeroboam/6 litres) of champagne, and half a dozen crates of brown ale (144 bottles)—considerably less than his usual fare

"Oh SHIT. It's Mr Creosote!"

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Pufts , if we were on death row, and had to choose a last meal, are selecting the meal from the wafer thin mint scene from Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, minus it all being mixed together.

He is served moules marinières, pâté de foie gras, beluga caviar, Eggs Benedict, a leek tart, frogs' legs amandine and quail's eggs with puréed mushrooms all mixed in a bucket with the quail eggs on top and a double helping of pâté. The appetizers are followed by the main course of jugged hare, with a sauce of truffles, bacon, Grand Marnier, anchovies and cream. For drinks, Mr. Creosote has six bottles of Château Latour 1945, a Methuselah (Double Jeroboam/6 litres) of champagne, and half a dozen crates of brown ale (144 bottles)—considerably less than his usual fare

You suck.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
C/RW Vaclav Nedomansky. I'll put him at RW for now, Cap. I can't believe how hard of a time I had coming up with acceptable RWs left.

fc1f3f63d0b6d97a489720b9cab8431a.jpg

There happens to be a Czech poster on the History board who can actually speak to these things with credibility, so rather than do a writeup, I'm going to post some of his descriptions. Those mean far more than me saying he lead the Czech league in Scoring 5 times. I'm not including the username because I don't want to bother him.

In a nutschell, Nedomanský was a real sniper in his era. Kind of forward in front of whom goalies sometimes chose to avoid his shots and rather let a goal in. Consistent goal-scoring machine on both domestic and international scene. I guess the biggest thing preventing Nedomanský from being a legitimate top 100 player is his weaker Golden Stick record. But there is a good case to be made that Nedo's GS voting record was deflated because of his more individualistic style understandably devaluing him in the eyes of Czech observers but also allowing him to adjust and compete in different environments.

What I call 'individualistic' means only that Nedo was a rare shoot-first kind of guy, which was admired by all 60s, 70s Europe-residing NHL scouts but despised by many Czech experts. He was little frustrating at times since he was the type of player who from time to time was able to completely take over the game and obliterate the opposing defense, but it took some time until he developed his potential and showed his strengths consistently. Early on, Ned was offense-only guy who needed a good passer to feed him and some defensive coverage from his wing. From about 1968 or 1969, his overall game improved. He became more of a puck carrying center rather than a pylon waiting on the blueline, good forechecker, killed penalties, learnt how to use his body in increasingly more physical 1970s hockey and learnt to be effective in high-leverage games. Off the ice, Nedomanský was quite a celebrity in his day. He was charismatic, was a popular object of focus to the media, a favourite among female fans.

To summarize, core of Nedomanský's value comes from the 6-season stretch of 1969-1974 - basically a top 10 player in Europe; a top 6 forward in Europe (IMO).

Very consistent scorer. Always a top 5 league scorer during 10-year period of 1965-1974. Always a top 5 CSSR team scorer at major international tournaments with one lone exception of 1967. Won the league scoring three times. Led the CSSR team scoring also three times.

Excellent longevity for an Eastern Bloc player. Nedomanský emigrated in 1974 and later even led the Red Wings in scoring when he was 34 y/o in 1979 (73 points in 80 games). Ned scored one more point in one less game next season in 1980 at age 35. Players of the same age or older who outscored Nedomanský in WHA or NHL were usually Hall of Famers (Hull, Keon, Esposito...).

He even uploaded some Czech press clippings related to Nedomansky coming to the NHL here: Top-200 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 13

@Young Sandwich

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Oh no, I have stepped in Monsieurs bucket...

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm fishing again this weekend, so if I'm not immediately responsive for my next pick, feel free to skip me.

In the meantime we'll select a man who was born to be a Sexpo. Considered one of the greatest Swedish hockey players of all time and the first Swedish player to score 50 goals in a season.

CiwopBBXAAYJP3p

Legend Right Wing - Håkan Loob

@Hollywood Couturier

Was totally on my shortlist. Top 10 name. @Striiker-aged me loved this dude and probably had a dozen of his hockey cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad