NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I should have known better than to hope I could do any kind of themed picks with you around.

QxxV.gif

The important thing is Babe Siebert’s memory lives on. Hockey History for the win.

Last edited:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
SadRoyFace.gif

Patrick Roy: Doug doug doug doug dougiedougiedoug.
GM Doug: At least you're using my first name now.
PR: I'm using Doug because it sounds like dung because you're sh*t at your job.
GM Doug: Because I didn't draft a defenseman when there was an ace 3C on the board? It can't just be on defensemen to defend you know.
PR: By your own admittance, you value individual achievements. I just heard that. So why are you leaving a Norris winner on the board?
GM Doug: I drafted the last available one with Howell.
PR:
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

200.gif

GM Doug: Are you sure they're available? Did you check the sheet?
PR: Shut your gob and listen to me. They. are. available.
GM Doug: Well by all means. I love me a Norris trophy winner. Pick them Saint Patrick!

PR: The Chimpanzees are pleased to select D Randy Carlyle.

GM Doug:
giphy.gif

Well, I see why you haven't made it as an NHL GM yet.

PR:
giphy.gif

Two more words: Norris. Trophy.

GM Doug: *sigh* @Captain Dave Poulin , save me by picking.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
SadRoyFace.gif

Patrick Roy: Doug doug doug doug dougiedougiedoug.
GM Doug: At least you're using my first name now.
PR: I'm using Doug because it sounds like dung because you're sh*t at your job.
GM Doug: Because I didn't draft a defenseman when there was an ace 3C on the board? It can't just be on defensemen to defend you know.
PR: By your own admittance, you value individual achievements. I just heard that. So why are you leaving a Norris winner on the board?
GM Doug: I drafted the last available one with Howell.
PR:
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

200.gif

GM Doug: Are you sure they're available? Did you check the sheet?
PR: Shut your gob and listen to me. They. are. available.
GM Doug: Well by all means. I love me a Norris trophy winner. Pick them Saint Patrick!

PR: The Chimpanzees are pleased to select D Randy Carlyle.

GM Doug:
giphy.gif

Well, I see why you haven't made it as an NHL GM yet.

PR:
giphy.gif

Two more words: Norris. Trophy.

GM Doug: *sigh* @Captain Dave Poulin , save me by picking.
Oh stop your bitching. I have to deal with McMahon, a bunch of steroid infused morons, methheads, Brockmire, and Beavis and Butthead.

Compared to that Roy is a piece of cake.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Last meal and restaurant are harder categories than I thought.

I think I'm going to go with GUSTAPIZZA for my team last meal. It is the best pizza I ever had and is considered a must by locals. A hole in the wall down the street from the Pitti Palace and right next to a pretty fun club which you could bring the pizza into, they keep every single one of their receipts and put them in their tables under the clear table top. Plus, in order to eat there, you'd have to bring me to Firenze again, which may or may not be the ulterior motive here.

Also a factor here is the additional nostalgia of having this for dinner when our family met up with our friend who happened to be there too on a studying abroad trip (based in germany) where his class took a trip to Florence. Legendary meet up and timing.

@Magua <3

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Last meal and restaurant are harder categories than I thought.

I think I'm going to go with GUSTAPIZZA for my team last meal. It is the best pizza I ever had to and is considered a must by locals. A hole in the wall down the street from the Pitti Palace and right next to a pretty fun club which you could bring the pizza into, they keep every single one of their receipts and put them in their tables under the clear table top. Plus, in order to eat there, you'd have to bring me to Firenze again, which may or may not be the ulterior motive here.

@Magua <3

I love this pick, because it fits neatly in the box. Great post.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I watched that clip and my takeaway is that it's impossible to compare present day players to players back then because it might as well be two different sports. The visual difference in athleticism and goalie technique/size/padding is just insane.

There really is a massive difference. When that series was going on, it felt like Hexy was Spider-Man, just saving shit at supersonic speed. You watch it now and you can't believe how slow everyone looks, including that drunk bitch Wayne.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There really is a massive difference. When that series was going on, it felt like Hexy was Spider-Man, just saving shit at supersonic speed. You watch it now and you can't believe how slow everyone looks, including that drunk bitch Wayne.
Makes me wonder if people will be saying the same thing again in 30 years when looking back at the league today. Or are we about maxed out as far as physical ability goes?

Kinda hard to watch guys like McDavid, Hayes, and MacKinnon and think players can get much more quick and skilled...

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Makes me wonder if people will be saying the same thing again in 30 years when looking back at the league today. Or are we about maxed out as far as physical ability goes?

Kinda hard to watch guys like McDavid, Hayes, and MacKinnon and think players can get much more quick and skilled...

The game was just slower then, too, not necessarily all of the players, though the average skater today is head and shoulders above the average skater back then, at least in technique. Plays had more time to breathe and it was a "heavier" game, while now every decision needs to happen almost instantaneously all over the ice.

Funny thing is that when I have been going back and looking at old film from the 40's, 50's, etc. I'm struck by fast guys look in those old skates.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I watched that clip and my takeaway is that it's impossible to compare present day players to players back then because it might as well be two different sports. The visual difference in athleticism and goalie technique/size/padding is just insane.
Once a few decades go by, comparisons become pointless.

Even a guy like Orr, who was amazing, would be good, but not dominant in this era. The players are just that much bigger, faster and stronger. Hell, Gordie Howe was considered massive in his prime at 6’1 205.

Going back to the earliest days of the NHL, many of the star players were under 5’8 and weighed under 160. They would be lucky to make an AHL squad today.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Definitely, Guy Lafleur (for example) may never have scored a goal if the opposing goaltenders could do a decent butterfly, much less the splits. His trademark slapper from way out would be a routine save nowadays. The fun of it, though, is extrapolating the standouts from one era to another with all of the benefits of training regimens through juniors, the absence of players smoking in the dressing rooms, to more than enough money to live on so they didn't have to work a regular job in the summer. That would be quite the neat simulator that could take a Gordie Howe or Jacques Plante and run a parallel preparatory trajectory to the NHL as most any top-5 draft prospect.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Definitely, Guy Lafleur (for example) may never have scored a goal if the opposing goaltenders could do a decent butterfly, much less the splits. His trademark slapper from way out would be a routine save nowadays. The fun of it, though, is extrapolating the standouts from one era to another with all of the benefits of training regimens through juniors, the absence of players smoking in the dressing rooms, to more than enough money to live on so they didn't have to work a regular job in the summer. That would be quite the neat simulator that could take a Gordie Howe or Jacques Plante and run a parallel preparatory trajectory to the NHL as most any top-5 draft prospect.
And also give them a pair of 2X Pros and a CCM Jetspeed

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Anyone who watched Mario's career should know that talent is just talent, no matter the era. He was a freaking shell of himself and yet outpaced peak Jagr in the middle of the DPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad