NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As it goes with NHL drafts, the 3rd round is where the Ghibli consider taking a goaltender. But there can't just be any goaltender on the board. There has to be someone who you can point to and say, "In his time, he was the best."

The Honolulu Ghibli select as their legendary goalie, Charlie Gardiner.

s-l300.jpg

A "what if" story, if there ever was one, Gardiner only played 7 seasons in the NHL (1927-1934), with the Chicago Blackhawks, before passing away at age 29 -- the same season he won the Stanley Cup and his 2nd Vezina (along with 2 runner-ups). But his tragic, early end was not sudden. After the better part of 2 seasons nursing a tonsil infection, which spread to his kidneys, Gardiner died of a brain hemorrhage mere weeks after hoisting the Cup. He would regularly collapse in the dressing room between periods, suffering blackouts, playing through severe fevers and extreme pain -- and he was still the most dominant goalie in the league. His final showing in the Cup run, near death, he allowed 12 goals in 8 games. Hell, he never missed a game for 6 years. His strength and fortitude was beyond comprehension.

Gardiner was the captain of the Blackhawks, as well, a rare honor for a netminder, and he was one of the most affable, positive thinking players of his day. Howie Morenz believed there was no tougher goalie to face 1-on-1. But Charlie's first 2 seasons of his career, he played on league worst teams, with a win total of 13-61-10. That's a testimony to his character and his development through extreme adversity. If you're a fan of goofy statistics, the Hawks totaled 33 goals in 44 games in Gardiner's 2nd season -- their leading point getters with 13 and 8 points. The Art Ross winner had 32 points that season.

For most of his career, Chicago was at or near the bottom in goals scored. In Charlie's final 3 seasons, sandwiched by his Vezina wins and culminating in the Cup, Chicago still scored the fewest goals in the league. Simply put, Gardiner carried these Blackhawk teams to a level that might even surpass Hasek's best. In his 6 year prime, Gardiner posted a league best 1.91 GAA on a team that averaged 1.88 GF/G (2nd worst behind the Quakers franchise, which folded in that time). The league best Leafs and Bruins were averaging almost 1 more goal per game. Gardiner, an inaugural Hall of Fame inductee, is one of the most dominant goalies most fans don't even know about; and without his early demise and illness, who knows how much he could've grown his legacy. He's a most welcome addition to the Ghibli locker room.

TWUUAONRXBGQ5FU3UDXMNXIY4A.jpg

@DancingPanther

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As it goes with NHL drafts, the 3rd round is where the Ghibli consider taking a goaltender. But there can't just be any goaltender on the board. There has to be someone who you can point to and say, "In his time, he was the best."

The Honolulu Ghibli select as their legendary goalie, Charlie Gardiner.

s-l300.jpg

A "what if" story, if there ever was one, Gardiner only played 7 seasons in the NHL (1927-1934), with the Chicago Blackhawks, before passing away at age 29 -- the same season he won the Stanley Cup and his 2nd Vezina (along with 2 runner-ups). But his tragic, early end was not sudden. After the better part of 2 seasons nursing a tonsil infection, which spread to his kidneys, Gardiner died of a brain hemorrhage mere weeks after hoisting the Cup. He would regularly collapse in the dressing room between periods, suffering blackouts, playing through severe fevers and extreme pain -- and he was still the most dominant goalie in the league. His final showing in the Cup run, near death, he allowed 12 goals in 8 games. Hell, he never missed a game for 6 years. His strength and fortitude was beyond comprehension.

Gardiner was the captain of the Blackhawks, as well, a rare honor for a netminder, and he was one of the most affable, positive thinking players of his day. Howie Morenz believed there was no tougher goalie to face 1-on-1. But Charlie's first 2 seasons of his career, he played on league worst teams, with a win total of 13-61-10. That's a testimony to his character and his development through extreme adversity. If you're a fan of goofy statistics, the Hawks totaled 33 goals in 44 games in Gardiner's 2nd season -- their leading point getters with 13 and 8 points. The Art Ross winner had 32 points that season.

For most of his career, Chicago was at or near the bottom in goals scored. In Charlie's final 3 seasons, sandwiched by his Vezina wins and culminating in the Cup, Chicago still scored the fewest goals in the league. Simply put, Gardiner carried these Blackhawk teams to a level that might even surpass Hasek's best. In his 6 year prime, Gardiner posted a league best 1.91 GAA on a team that averaged 1.88 GF/G (2nd worst behind the Quakers franchise, which folded in that time). The league best Leafs and Bruins were averaging almost 1 more goal per game. Gardiner, an inaugural Hall of Fame inductee, is one of the most dominant goalies most fans don't even know about. He's a most welcome addition to the Ghibli locker room.

TWUUAONRXBGQ5FU3UDXMNXIY4A.jpg

@DancingPanther

Did you really just circle this back to adenoids

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Team TV Character is a tough choice. After some deliberation, we at Providence have decided to go with entertainment's most cunning, motivated (to a fault?), powerful, mystifying, and beautiful mage.

From The Witcher, already the Plats' team video game, Yen sacrifices what she considers everything in her quest for power and beauty. Deformed and beaten as a child and enduring the abuse of her education at Aretuza, Yen graduated as a sorceress, transforming her on both a physical and emotional level. Now the most beautiful woman in The Continent, Yen ambitiously sets out to reclaim what she had sacrificed in her journey: freedom from the throes of politics and the stressors of a war-torn Continent, and choice. Since magic must follow the laws of physics in that energy cannot be created not destroyed, Yen has uniquely mastered drawing her power from chaos, a deep seated theme when her abusive childhood and coming of age years are considered. With chaos being her primary source of power, she will thrive in the Megaverse.

Yen- despite her shrewdness, sarcasm, and take-no-shit attitude- exudes a motherly aura. Endlessly loyal to a select few which she considers her own, her relationship with Geralt symbiotically brings out the best in each of them. Yen's faulty ambitiousness is grounded by Geralt, and in return she focuses Geralt on the here and now, allowing him to finally sleep, rather than live on edge as a Witcher who focuses from life threatening quest to life threatening quest. She raises Ciri as her own, offering her tutelage and wisdom as only a mother would.

Adorned in black (or sometimes white), matching her curly black hair, Yen's violet eyes metaphorically compliment her perfume of lilac and gooseberries. The Plats are proud to select the stunning, cunning, captivating, and protective YENNEFER VON VENGERBERG.

c2ce0472c4330a252575a45d13ecfd191395e878.gifv

a7fd99cb580c6c97c558dd74342809ef.gif

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Yennefer_Cosplay_Wig_2_1800x.jpg

6096bf2fb6d51b7757d336306e5e051b.gif

25e7cb406a9ce674c36acf4900c50a91.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
For my next excellent selection, I am choosing someone who - until the last six years - stood as probably the most consistently misevaluated Philadelphia Flyer ever. (You may think that Twitter birthed all the idiots, but I can assure you that they have always been there.) An absolute rock during the run to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and anyone who says differently has and/or had their head up their ass. Proudly wore his home jersey with the 31 to commemorate Pelle hundreds of times, including in all of my indoor soccer matches. My best friend, who was an idiot, put a cigarette hole in the sleeve by accident.

000305157.jpg

Team D - Doug Crossman

@pit

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The 90s and 00s are woefully underrepresented in my all time forward lineup so far, so I will take LW Patrik Elias.

@GKJ

I got sniped so hard here. :laugh:

I know he was a Devil, but there's no better case of HOF voters not understanding two-way play and the effect of systems on stats than Elias. He should be in and it shouldn't be close.

Elias was the only recent forward I had on my shortlist as of this morning. I was going to take him 1st round; knew he'd be sniped over an old fogey. Frankly, I was shocked he wasn't taken already, given the tendency to select modern players. Probably could've had my cake and eaten it too in a later round, but I just wanted to do the history blurbs. I thought center and defense were more scarce than wing too.

Great pick, Berry.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
20210203100228-601ac143f30c649929e44652jpeg.jpg

GM Doug: Aaaaanybody got anything to say about my last pick?

That's right, ya don't. If you did, you'd be getting the back of my hand. Yeah. That's right.

Weird, it's quiet. Everyone must be otherwise distracted. Well in the meantime, ole Dougie is gonna build the best Legend checking line, which everyone knows is the role of the THIRD line, ever. These smarty pants can talk about high-end defenders and quality backups, but if your forwards aren't making the hits and controlling the gaps, ya got nothing.

And you know how I know this pick is the best? Individual awards. Nothing says best team like having lots of great individuals. Who else is going to measure up to a Calder, a Conn Smythe, two Lady Byngs and two Deneau trophies in the WHA. Ok, so that last one is just like the Lady Byng, but whatever. This team could use some nice guys. Also, four time Cup winner. And we all know being a Cup winner guarantees winning future Cups. That's how this works. Experience. Plus he shut down Beliveau in the Cup Finals. Put this guy with Gainey and boy oh boy.

With the third pick of the seventh phase, the Chimpanzees are pleased to select C Dave Keon.

Who da man?

patsmad.gif

Patrick Roy: AAAARRMMMSSSTTROOONNNGGG!

GM Doug: Yes, I am the ma- oh, you weren't answering the question, you were yelling at me. Here we go.

@ajgoal , distract this nutjob for me.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
We have a goalie, and we have a center. As has been noted, defense is somewhat thin at this point, but we still have a few up our sleeve. Our first selection played for half of the Original Six teams, winning two Stanley Cups and a Hart trophy. He scored the Cup winning goal in 1945, the last time the Leafs won the Cup (OK, it hasn't been quite that long for them, it just feels that way), and played both forward and defence in his career. He was inducted into the HHOF in 1966.

Babe_Pratt_1938.jpg

Legends Defence: Walter Pratt

@Hurricane28

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Good morning, apex predators.

giphy.gif

We start the day with little @Striiker on the clock, and shit-stacking @FlyTimmo on deck, and @Chuck Downie serial killing on the lido deck. Can you blame him really? There's another game tonight already. That may not constitute cruel and unusual punishment, but it doesn't NOT constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Don't you wish you were given a duckling for every time you said the word "f***"? I do. I was just thinking about that. Because there are still like 10 games left this season and I'm going insane thinking about having to endure them. It's better than having, like, 26 games left, but in some ways it's also not better. I don't f***ing know. OH HEY! IT'S A DUCKLING! F*** a duck. WOO! ANOTHER ONE!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

giphy.gif

We start the day with little @Striiker on the clock, and shit-stacking @FlyTimmo on deck, and @Chuck Downie serial killing on the lido deck. Can you blame him really? There's another game tonight already. That may not constitute cruel and unusual punishment, but it doesn't NOT constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Don't you wish you were given a duckling for every time you said the word "f***"? I do. I was just thinking about that. Because there are still like 10 games left this season and I'm going insane thinking about having to endure them. It's better than having, like, 26 games left, but in some ways it's also not better. I don't f***ing know. OH HEY! IT'S A DUCKLING! F*** a duck. WOO! ANOTHER ONE!
Agreed
upload_2021-4-23_8-41-55.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

giphy.gif

There goes @Captain Dave Poulin promoting fowl language again. #DadJokes

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
G Jean Sebastien Giguere

images

Had his figureine/action figure as a kid. Was the top goalie in the kitchen floor hockey league.

@Striiker is up

He was so good in 2007. That was such a fun team to watch. They were a great example of a successful re-tool. Went to Cup in 2003, had a few rough years, nailed their picks, made trades/signed good vets, won Cup in 2007.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He was so good in 2007. That was such a fun team to watch. They were a great example of a successful re-tool. Went to Cup in 2003, had a few rough years, nailed their picks, made trades/signed good vets, won Cup in 2007.

Wait, don't you need to wait 7 or 8 years before you can contend again? I'm confused.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
For one of the few times in this exercise, I have prepared a write-up for a player whom I obviously intend to draft. You are all on notice not to select him.

iu

I've been living dangerously this round and have had a full write-up ready to go for each pick. Already have my next pick written up and I don't even pick again until late next round. Fully expecting to get sniped.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
So the bad news is this place is still a f***ing circus. The good news is my brother gets his shot today. HYPE.

The best news is I requested a weekend switch in late May, which was approved and reflected on the schedule...except the following M and Tue I have inexplicable vacation days marked (and a day shifter covering for me). I did not ask for these. I was in the middle of screenshotting my switch request and being like yo I think you screwed this up until I said

"Ya know I have enough vacation to do this. f*** everybody."

So now at the end of May I have my regular scheduled off week, come back for 2 nights, am off for 5 days, work 1 night (as part of a switch for that Friday prior to the aforementioned weekend off), then am off 6 days because it's my scheduled off week. So that's 18 of 21 days off.

Bank error in your favor. So long suckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad