NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I was flyfishing, and it was an absolute beaut of a day. The bugs were plentiful and the fish were all @Captain Dave Poulin -level "f***ing starving". Side note, if you ever want to learn an insane amount about aquatic bug life, just start fly fishing.

Our belated selection will be a player who is seemingly much better than I remember him being. He was a top 5 point producer in the 2000s, which sounds insane to me for some reason. He is the second highest scoring Maple Leafs defenseman behind good old Börje. The Flyers were always milliseconds away from trading for him at the end of his career. He also kind of looks like a toe and some people have a foot fetish, so we needed him.

228269-14343884Fr.jpg

Legend Defenseman - Tomáš Kaberle

@Magua is still up, right?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
A major goal of mine in roster selection has been period variety, at least in what could be considered the time of the original 6 teams. There are so many forgotten legends in need of effusive recognition. By no means am I an expert on the history of hockey, but I've been putting in quite a lot of research these weeks to improve my understanding. It's been my favorite part of this draft.

1920s: Cook
1930s: Cook, Conacher, "Babe" Siebert, Gardiner
1940s:
1950s: Moore
1960s: Firsov, Savard
1970s: Savard, Clarke, Maltsev, Park, Lapointe
1980s: Gilmour, Stevens, Kasatonov
1990s: Gilmour, Stevens
2000s+: Luongo
As you see, there's a big fat hole where the 1940s are. Not helped by the war years, it certainly seems like one of the least popular eras of hockey in retrospect, minus Rocket Richard, who was no less associated with the 50s. The 1940s doesn't quite have the daydream feel of the 20-30s; it doesn't have the immediacy of the modern 50s with Beliveau and Howe. But there were superstars of that era too, and I'm damn well taking one.

The Honolulu Ghibli select as their legend center, Max Bentley (moving Maltsev to RW, which he often played in tournaments).

BENTLEY02.jpg

Max Bentley, known by the amazing nickname "'Dipsy-Doodle Dandy from Delisle' because of his fancy skating and superb stickhandling," was one of the biggest stars in the NHL in the 40s, despite missing 2 prime years to serve in the Canadian Army. A Hart trophy winner (5-time top 4 finisher in the decade) and 2 time scoring title winner for the Blackhawks -- a mediocre team in spite of his dominance -- Bentley was not describable in the usual sort of burly, heroic way for historic players. He cut a gaunt figure -- he was advised to give up hockey, including at a Canadiens try-out, due to his sickly appearance and shopping list of maladies.

He was renowned for his ability to uncannily avoid contact and beat opponents with his elusiveness, before dishing the puck with his high end passing skills. If that sounds familiar, here's a quote from the HHoF: "Max became famous for his drive to the net, his aggressive play to score and the fact that he was constantly in motion. He never stopped skating and as contemporaries suggest, had as many moves as Wayne Gretzky later did during his era." A great description of his wheels: Bentley skated "like a scared jackrabbit." In my experience, skating is more often a knock or swept under the rug for many old timers, so to point it out so forcefully, Bentley must have been truly exceptional. He certainly pops in footage and his transition skills would look at home even today:

r2ZZPk.gif

oZRRMA.gif

MZDDMP.gif

Bentley was involved in one of the most shocking, biggest trades of the era when he was sent to the Leafs for 5 players -- literally, an entire line. With the Leafs unmatched center depth, Bentley's individual numbers dipped slightly, but he was an integral component to 3 Cups in 4 years, with spectacular playoff performances. The Hawks, however, remained a bottom feeder during this time.

@DancingPanther

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bentley was involved in one of the most shocking, biggest trades of the era when he was sent to the Leafs for 5 players -- literally, an entire line. With the Leafs unmatched center depth, Bentley's individual numbers dipped slightly, but he was an integral component to 3 Cups in 4 years, with spectacular playoff performances. The Hawks, however, remained a bottom feeder during this time.

@DancingPanther

Is it cool if I just put "Dirks Bentley"? JK, f*** that guy.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Always used to trade for this guy in my franchise mode back in the day. Like NHL 05. I'm not even sure why, he was just a good player in the game. Had a good shot and was quick. It's not like he was OP or one of my favorite players or anything, guess I just liked the feel for him in the game as a 12 year old? Great name either way, that's for sure

Anyway, we're stepping out of the phlames of the pharmacy for a second to pick Miroslav "don't call me Lucifer" Satan. Back into the fire

@Captain Dave Poulin

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Always used to trade for this guy in my franchise mode back in the day. Like NHL 05. I'm not even sure why, he was just a good player in the game. Had a good shot and was quick. It's not like he was OP or one of my favorite players or anything, guess I just liked the feel for him in the game as a 12 year old? Great name either way, that's for sure

Anyway, we're stepping out of the phlames of the pharmacy for a second to pick Miroslav "don't call me Lucifer" Satan. Back into the fire

@Captain Dave Poulin
Periodic post to note how disappointed I am that he didn't sign a one day contract with New Jersey and retire, so the headlines could read "After long career, Satan retires as Devil".

Missed opportunity. :shakehead

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

@Captain Dave Poulin
upload_2021-4-25_7-35-20.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Good morning, meat shields, and tanks for the memories!

aEZ3zMo.gif

I'll pick in a minute, and then we start the morning with @pit on the clock, @ajgoal on deck, @Hurricane28 on the lido deck, @Striiker on the lido afterdeck, @FlyTimmo making poo patties on the Poo Patio overlooking the lido afterdeck, and brave @Chuck Downie bleeding to death somewhere in the shadow of the mizzen mast.

Sunday Fun Day, with a late matinee start time. Sounds like the kind of thing that gives you ulcers, amirite? Can you get an ulcer from boredom? I think you probably can. Probably diarrhea, too. What we have learned over the last 18 months or so is that sports are stupid. And when I say "stupid," I mean STOOPID.

I'm too excited, so I am going to make my pick now. Commerce is important, so yada yada yada, shop until you literally physically drop. I'M A BUSINESSMAN!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am relieved that my guy is still available to complete an absolutely perfect third line. I'm relieved despite the fact that there was no chance he was getting sniped outside of pure nostalgia. That has certainly played a part for me in the crafting of this line, obviously, but consider this.

Jojo posted a method that they use on the History Board to era-adjust player point totals and results and performances, but I can't operate that way, because while I respect it and believe in the process, I don't understand any of it. But I don't think it's crazy to consider, as a part of your era adjustment, the "essence" of a player - those qualities that make/made them who they are/were. Athleticism, flexibility, camaraderie, heroism, and above all, their ability to be clutch. This is especially, but not exclusively, true in the context of trailblazing through the stars to establish a new existence in a distant galaxy in a brand-new dimension, because that's what we are doing. Not only are those qualities going to (probably) be important during games of whatever constitutes "hockey" there - they are going to (probably) be important when the focus turns from sport to fighting (presumed) Overlords. Plus, think of this - you have to be able to tolerate these guys, so you want someone you like, or at a bare minimum can stand.

In Earth Prime terms, this guy is pretty underrated - not to the point where you would pick him at this point of a hockey draft where you have all of hockey history available to you, but still. The chemistry he already has with his fellow third-liners here is priceless, as is the 1987 magic they carry with them to us.

51t2XkgJXAL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Team LW - Derrick Smith

@pit

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I am relieved that my guy is still available to complete an absolutely perfect third line. I'm relieved despite the fact that there was no chance he was getting sniped outside of pure nostalgia. That has certainly played a part for me in the crafting of this line, obviously, but consider this.

Jojo posted a method that they use on the History Board to era-adjust player point totals and results and performances, but I can't operate that way, because while I respect it and believe in the process, I don't understand any of it. But I don't think it's crazy to consider, as a part of your era adjustment, the "essence" of a player - those qualities that make/made them who they are/were. Athleticism, flexibility, camaraderie, heroism, and above all, their ability to be clutch. This is especially, but not exclusively, true in the context of trailblazing through the stars to establish a new existence in a distant galaxy in a brand-new dimension, because that's what we are doing. Not only are those qualities going to (probably) be important during games of whatever constitutes "hockey" there - they are going to (probably) be important when the focus turns from sport to fighting (presumed) Overlords. Plus, think of this - you have to be able to tolerate these guys, so you want someone you like, or at a bare minimum can stand.

In Earth Prime terms, this guy is pretty underrated - not to the point where you would pick him at this point of a hockey draft where you have all of hockey history available to you, but still. The chemistry he already has with his fellow third-liners here is priceless, as is the 1987 magic they carry with them to us.

51t2XkgJXAL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Team LW - Derrick Smith

@pit

Was pretty sure this was going to be your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad