NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE FOURTEEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This is relatively well known in the entertainment industry: Will Smith was offered the part of Neo in the Matrix. He sat down with the Wachowski siblings to walk through the story and he couldn't visualize it and bailed... to make Wild Wild West. This was both a gigantic blunder by him and a gigantic win for the movie watching public.

Where am I going with this?

For our team actor swap, the Seattle Sockeyes select Keanu Reeves as Mike Lowrey in the Bad Boys movie franchise for the lolz.

Matrix-Will-Smith-header.jpg

@Striiker, from now on, that's how you drive! #badboys4life

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is relatively well known in the entertainment industry: Will Smith was offered the part of Neo in the Matrix. He sat down with the Wachowski siblings to walkthrough the story and he couldn't visualize it and bailed... to make Wild Wild West. This was both a gigantic blunder by him and a gigantic win for the movie watching public.

Where am I going with this?

For our team actor swap, the Seattle Sockeyes select Keanu Reeves as Mike Lowrey in the Bad Boys movie franchise for the lolz.

View attachment 502111

@Striiker, from now on, that's how you drive! #badboys4life

You had me very worried for a minute lol

Great pick.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Team Crushing Sports Moment - Trading Ghost

giphy.gif

This one is part meme, but mostly true.

The trade itself was absolutely horrible, of course, given how great he had just played, how vital he was to this team, how irreplaceable his skillset was, and obviously the fact that it was one of the biggest value rip-offs I've ever seen... but it was what I realized in that moment that was truly crushing. My main positive distraction over the past decade was being killed and I really have nothing left to enjoy.

This made it clear that massive changes to the core were going to happen and not a single one was going to be a step forward because Chuck was scapegoating all the wrong people and focusing on all the wrong things. It meant that one of the best Flyers of all time was never going to have a chance to compete in this city because I knew Giroux was likely leaving after this year, given how inevitably horrible this team was going to be and the fact that he obviously wants to win more than anything. I also knew Voracek was going to be scapegoated next, which obviously happened just two days later. That's the three most entertaining and likeable players we've had over the past decade... gone.

If they had just continued to add terrible pieces around the core then that would've been awful too, but at the very least I could've enjoyed watching those few great players put on a show every night and get some enjoyment out of this team, like I had for the previous decade... but that wasn't even possible anymore. There's one single player left who's worth watching and the Ghost trade kicked off the domino effect that's forcing him out of the team too. Soon there won't be anything left and there probably won't be anyone added who's worth watching for a long time.

@JojoTheWhale

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.gif

The trade itself was absolutely horrible, of course, given how great he had just played, how vital he was to this team, how irreplaceable his skillset was, and obviously the fact that it was one of the biggest value rip-offs I've ever seen... but it was what I realized in that moment that was truly crushing. My main positive distraction over the past decade was being killed and I really have nothing left to enjoy.

This made it clear that massive changes to the core were going to happen and not a single one was going to be a step forward because Chuck was scapegoating all the wrong people and focusing on all the wrong things. It meant that one of the best Flyers of all time was never going to have a chance to compete in this city because I knew Giroux was likely leaving after this year, given how inevitably horrible this team was going to be and the fact that he obviously wants to win more than anything. I also knew Voracek was going to be scapegoated next, which obviously happened just two days later. That's the three most entertaining and likeable players we've had over the past decade... gone.

If they had just continued to add terrible pieces around the core then that would've been awful too, but at the very least I could've enjoyed watching those few great players put on a show every night and get some enjoyment out of this team, like I had for the previous decade... but that wasn't even possible anymore. There's one single player left who's worth watching and the Ghost trade kicked off the domino effect that's forcing him out of the team too. Soon there won't be anything left and there probably won't be anyone added who's worth watching for a long time.

@JojoTheWhale
You could have just posted this instead of writing all of that up...

thats-my-boy-harry-potter.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For our crushing sports moment I've had this pick ready to go figuring nobody would take it. I never imagined the fool would upstage me but alas here I am. Our pick is
Fletcher2019_014.9951dcfe.fill-1200x630-c0.jpg

Fletch earns this honor for his horrible management that has killed my interest in the Flyers. I recorded and watched every game since the early 90's but this off season killed me. Everything they traded to acquire Risto, keeping AV and the total lack of a coherent plan has me at a place that if the Flyers relocated I would be ambivalent.

Too soon.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

giphy.gif

@JojoTheWhale

Too soon.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The first pick we are going to make is a depiction of our rival. It is very tempting to mock defect with any number of silly characters but I feel bad for the guy. Defect takes so much abuse on here but he is a good guy. With that said here is our fictional pick for Defect.
View attachment 502103
I made a few of these when I was still part of the adventure before we decided to pull a 'Madonna' and whore our way to the top.

Here are few others I made that I'm going to put in a spoiler so as not to spam the thread too bad.
So my fictional owner is a thief, outlaw, mercenary, pirate, commander, captain, and king?
That’s a win.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I know football isn’t something that interests many people here, but no matter what happens in the rest of my life, this will never be topped.

My favorite thing in football is the defensive side of the ball. Going into 1991, the Eagles had an absolutely incredible defense. I was of a perfect age to be as overly-invested as possible. We had season tickets. Unfortunately, the Eagles’ entire plan on offense was to hope Randall Cunningham could make a play. Cunningham was coming off of a streak in which finished 2nd in MVP voting twice in the last 3 seasons. They finally invested into the offensive line to help him. They drafted two more excellent defenders in the ‘91 draft. Everything was set up for this to be the year it finally came together. Then came the first play of the 2nd Quarter of the first game. Bryce Paup went low on Randall Cunningham, tore his ACL, and ended the season.

Heartbreaking Moment: **** Bryce Paup

I still haven’t seen that hit a second time. I’m not risking that to pull a clip.

The particularly cruel bit here that is key to the story is that the 1991 Eagles turned out to have the best single season by a defense in the modern history of the NFL. Lest you think this is an exaggeration, here’s a quote from the top tier football analytics site Football Outsiders:

Football Outsiders said:
The 1991 Eagles completely lap the field in terms of defensive DVOA. Only the 2002 Bucs had a better pass defense, and only the 2000 Ravens had a better run defense, and the Eagles were much more balanced than either of those teams.

It's crazy to imagine how few points the Eagles might have given up if they were playing with a halfway-decent offense instead of losing Randall Cunningham to a torn ACL in the first game of the season. The Eagles were stuck depending on an over-the-hill Jim McMahon for 11 starts, plus Jeff Kemp for two and Brad Goebelfor two. McMahon actually wasn't half bad ... but the other two quarterbacks were awful, especially Goebel who had no touchdowns with six interceptions. And the running game was dreadful, with 3.1 yards per carry as a team.

Still, the Eagles were fifth in the league in points allowed, and first in yards allowed by nearly 400 yards – and the team that was second in yards allowed is also on that top-ten defenses list, the 1991 New Orleans Saints. The Eagles allowed 3.9 yards per play, where no other team allowed fewer than 4.5. As bad as their running game was, their run defense was even better, allowing 3.0 yards per carry. Three-fourths of the starting defensive line was All-Pro (Reggie White, Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons). Linebacker Seth Joyner and cornerback Eric Allen made the Pro Bowl as well.

As much fun as that season was as a fan of defense first, you could never quite enjoy it as much as you should because you knew none of it mattered. I’m not home to take a picture, but I have a 1991 Eagles defensive playbook hanging on the wall of my office. Short of the dogs, that’s the first thing I’m grabbing in case of a fire.

@Strawberry Fields Sports are bad. Why do we do this?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I know football isn’t something that interests many people here, but no matter what happens in the rest of my life, this will never be topped.

My favorite thing in football is the defensive side of the ball. Going into 1991, the Eagles had an absolutely incredible defense. I was of a perfect age to be as overly-invested as possible. We had season tickets. Unfortunately, the Eagles’ entire plan on offense was to hope Randall Cunningham could make a play. Cunningham was coming off of a streak in which finished 2nd in MVP voting twice in the last 3 seasons. They finally invested into the offensive line to help him. They drafted two more excellent defenders in the ‘91 draft. Everything was set up for this to be the year it finally came together. Then came the first play of the 2nd Quarter of the first game. Bryce Paup went low on Randall Cunningham, tore his ACL, and ended the season.

Heartbreaking Moment: **** Bryce Paup

I still haven’t seen that hit a second time. I’m not risking that to pull a clip.

The particularly cruel bit here that is key to the story is that the 1991 Eagles turned out to have the best single season by a defense in the modern history of the NFL. Lest you think this is an exaggeration, here’s a quote from the top tier football analytics site Football Outsiders:

As much fun as that season was as a fan of defense first, you could never quite enjoy it as much as you should because you knew none of it mattered. I’m not home to take a picture, but I have a 1991 Eagles defensive playbook hanging on the wall of my office. Short of the dogs, that’s the first thing I’m grabbing in case of a fire.

@Strawberry Fields Sports are bad. Why do we do this?

That would have been the last year you had relatively clear sailing too, because the next year the Cowboys started their run. And Brown passed away too, of course. What a shitty thing for you guys (not sarcasm).

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
That would have been the last year you had relatively clear sailing too, because the next year the Cowboys started their run. And Brown passed away too, of course. What a shitty thing for you guys (not sarcasm).

That was also Gibbs’ last great Washington team and the random year Mark Rypien decided to go bananas, so it would have been tough. But possible. Possible is enough for me.

I know I don’t have to tell you how brutal that division was for multiple decades. :laugh:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The mid to late 90s was not a fun time to be an Eagles fan. But at least Lurie learned from his early mistakes.

I’d much rather have an owner like him than the empty suits at Shitcast and their pet dildo Dave Scott

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That was also Gibbs’ last great Washington team and the random year Mark Rypien decided to go bananas, so it would have been tough. But possible. Possible is enough for me.

I know I don’t have to tell you how brutal that division was for multiple decades. :laugh:

And my team basically sat out the 80s. Those Giants and Skins teams were no joke. Then you had the Bears and F***nuggets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad